Bacon-wrapped thingies

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is actually a research question, but I figured it had better odds here:

Is there a general name for appetizer-y things that are wrapped in bacon? Similar to the way "crostini" can mean almost any topping on small pieces of toast, I'm looking for a term for the whole category of yummy-nibbles-wrapped-in-bacon. (My main character needs to sound knowledgeable to the chef.)

Since the thread will doubtless head there anyway, and to justify putting it in this forum, feel free to chime in with your favorite bacon-swathed hors d'oeuvre. Googling has not yielded the word I want, if indeed it exists. But it has made me very hungry....

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. If there's a word that means bacon-wrapped, it'd be new to me. Usually nibbly appetizers just have "bacon-wrapped" in front of whatever the thing is. (Bacon-wrapped scallops, bacon-wrapped asparagus, etc.)

Rumaki and Devils on Horseback are both wrapped in bacon, for what it's worth.

I'll be watching to see if anyone has any other suggestions.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The local tapas place calls their date-and-chorizo-wrapped-in-bacon thingy "pincho andaluz" -- conveniently, they don't give English names for anything.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Porcinified.

j/k

No encompassing name I've ever heard of. No recipes. Do not eat our piggy friends. :)

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But now I'm thinking of bacon-wrapped water chestnuts and scallops

Believe me, so am I! My mouth is still watering from that last set of searches.

The local tapas place calls their date-and-chorizo-wrapped-in-bacon thingy "pincho andaluz" -- conveniently, they don't give English names for anything.

"Pincho" means on-a-skewer, doesn't it? Wonder if I could work out something with that....

Why does English not have these obviously-necessary words when one needs them?

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
"Pincho" means on-a-skewer, doesn't it?

Yes, in their description on the menu they call it a "brochette," which also means on-a-skewer.

Clearly this is a gap in our language that demands to be filled. We're writers, we should be able to make words happen...

peartree

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in Texas I got introduced to bacon-wrapped jalapenos, and they're heavenly. Just slice raw jalapenos lengthwise, take out the seeds and white part inside (tastes gross and bitter), fill with neufchatel, wrap with half a slice of bacon, and once you've got a foil-lined tray full, cook at 400F for 30 minutes. Most recipes say 20 minutes, but the bacon is floppy and the jalapeno hard when you do that; if you cook for 30 then the jalapeno gets soft (still hangs together though) and the bacon edges have a glorious crisp on them.