Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's that guy. There are more reliable sources of information if you want to read up more on the allegations charged by Feldman and Elijah Wood. (And he LUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRVES to stress Weinstein is a Dem.)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Regards the money Weinstein has donated to Democrats: They should keep it, and use it to help elect people to Congress and the Senate who will stand up for the rights of women in the workplace. God knows the other major party isn't doing that.

caw

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Regards the money Weinstein has donated to Democrats: They should keep it, and use it to help elect people to Congress and the Senate who will stand up for the rights of women in the workplace. God knows the other major party isn't doing that.

caw

Yeah, I don't recall seeing any demands for Republicans to return donations from Roger Ailes or Bill O'Reilly, or sniping about whether or not they issued denouncements.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, also... it's not as if there's a direct connection between the behaviour and the money, like it's filthy money made from his behaviour or as if the money was raised to support his behaviour in a direct way, like they're taking funds from the sale of confederate flags or from an anti-choice group. I suppose an argument could be made tying some of the behaviour to some of the films or casting but there's also Bob and everyone and everything else.

Using the funds to advance people who are actively against the oppression of women, for better laws, etc., makes sense to me. Exploit the oppressor. Hillary vowed to have a 50-50 male-female split in her cabinet. It'd have done good.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Sorry - didn't vet the source. I grabbed one ofthe first links that helped me refresh my memory. Hadn't heard that about about Feldman before.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have we posted this Samantha Bee thing yet? Only, I'm worried because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and obviously #notalldicks (Except yeah, kinda... oh, god - but maybe just not a thing to bring out in public.)

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry - didn't vet the source. I grabbed one ofthe first links that helped me refresh my memory. Hadn't heard that about about Feldman before.

Um, yeah, Cernovich isn't someone who helps your case.

In any case, I'm sure Hollywood is riddled with creeps. Society is. Your local highschool? Yep. Your church choir? Yes. Local kids' sports teams? They're there, basking in the praise. "Oh, Frank is so supportive! Anything to do with the kids, he'll volunteer. Great guy, Frank."

And, of course, wherever cults of personality can flourish, like an artistic enclave, people can get away with horrible things. Yes, Hollywood has a lot to answer for, and has been given a break for too long. I remember when Roman Polanski got a standing ovation for his Oscar win, and wondered "Why isn't anyone else furious about this?" Hollywood has happily basked in self-righteous satisfaction when they produce movies like "Spotlight," yet see their own dark side as just part of the business.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score

caw

If the Democrats should return the money from Weinstein, the Republicans should return the White House from their own confessed groper.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If the Democrats should return the money from Weinstein, the Republicans should return the White House from their own confessed groper.

Oh, if only... Sickeningly, I fear there are those in the TeaOP (and at the ballot box) who consider his "groping" a feature, not a bug. (And some of them are likely women, because they've become convinced they deserve it, that it's a mark of honor when the alpha male paws you.)

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen of the right-wing media, they view this as sort of a zero-sum game. If a Republican has a sex scandal, it's balanced when a Democrat has a sex scandal, and everything is "equal". Therefore, it's OK. They don't see this as about a massive social problem. It's about who gets the morality points and wins the right to be self-righteous.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The Guardian has been covering this story in depth over the last few days. This piece today caught my eye for a lot of reasons.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/13/harvey-weinstein-allegations-hollywood-enablers

It discusses the social structures that enabled his decades-long abuse of so many people.

Two things stood out from it for me.

First is this claim:
Employees at Miramax put up with Weinstein’s methods and intimidation – he kept a baseball bat in his office – because the company made great films and gilded CVs, he said. “Most people there were ambivalent and made a deal with the devil for what they could get out of it. Not to justify it, but they were only human. Anybody is a potential enabler if they work in that industry.”
In an essay last year titled Why the Assholes Are Winning, Jeffrey Pfeffer, a Stanford professor, wrote that proximity to power and wealth could lead to moral rationalisation and moral decoupling. “Great success and performance create their own reality,” he said.

This sort of thing is very often said: That power and success makes people willing to go along with this.

But I don't think that's true.

There are many petty abusers in the world and excuses are made for them just as they are for the for Weinsteins and Trumps of this world.

I think that the excuse-making is socialized behavior that people don't the work of removing from their own mental habits. In my experience people make excuses for what they think is normal far more than they do for what they think will give them advantage.

The second thing was less social inquiry and more legal question:
The French actor Florence Darel told Le Parisien that she had repeatedly resisted calls to see Weinstein alone on different occasions but that her agent had insisted she must meet him. “Why do agents send women actors to predators?” she said. “Why are we supposed to go to meet producers in hotel rooms?”

If agents are sending their clients to be sexually abused and raped, are the agents violating the same laws that pimps violate?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're truly not interested in a thread, you just leave it. If you post saying that no one cares or we shouldn't be focused on it, what you're actually doing is trying to silence people. And when you do that with a subject like this, you're taking the side of the abusers.

If the topic makes you uncomfortable, good. You should make you squirm and wish to banish it from your brain. That's all signs that your basic decency is still intact. But don't you dare give in to your own selfish desire to not have to acknowledge someone else's suffering by demanding they not speak of it.

^^^100% agree!

And I want to add that the courts don't "deal" with this, the laws need to be majorly updated and the defense has to stop brutalizing these women on the stand while their attacker gets to sit there in silence. Something is seriously wrong with the justice system in regards to these issues. MOST women never report because they know its a losing battle, so I say we should keep this on the news till something changes.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to add, if this is a systemic problem in the "casting" room, then all casting should be taped and those auditioning should not be one on one. If members of the elite are aware of this then they should be whistle blowing. Gwenyth and Angelina have been big stars for a very long time, if women of their power can't speak up until others do then that speaks volumes to me.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

I was so sad to hear about this. All of it, obviously, but I love Asia Argento. She is such a talented actress and filmmaker in her own right, and I have always wondered why she was not more successful in Hollywood. I loved her since she starred in her father's giallos, and I have loved to see her come into her own as a director.

SandyH

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Is this not part of Hollywood culture? How come he was tolerated that long? There are more questions than answers. Rape is a rape and all of us hate it. But what are the solutions...

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My first Harvey was my Driver's Ed teacher. Yeah. I was 14 years old and it was 53 years ago. I still get sick to my stomach thinking about that squirrely, ugly, macho little prick. He gave me shoulder rubs to make me relax and kept his hand on my knee while I was driving-- because I was a basket case whenever I took the wheel. Go figure!

It was 1964 and females were very much at the mercy of men. If I had told my parents, the creep would have been dead meat. My dad was a vet, a marine who served in the South Pacific. It never occurred to me to tell him because this jerk made it all my fault. He knew exactly how to play me. I felt that that my parents would be furious if I failed summer Driver's Ed after they had paid the whopping big enrollment fee of 15$! Yeah. It was a long time ago.

Mr. Montgomery--yes. I am using his name-- wanted me to drive with him after class, alone, for extra credit, so I would learn to relax. Something about spending even fifteen minutes alone with that guy kept me from showing up for his extra tutoring. So I failed. At the time I called myself lazy, irresponsible, wasting my parent's hard earned money. I cried about it. My parent's weren't angry --God bless them. They chalked it up to my being super-intelligent==yeah. They went beyond doting, to delusional. They figured I was the first intelligent person in the family, so had a right to being a little shaky in high stress situations-- the nickname came in college but I am a little shaky at times.

Some thirty years later my 14 year old niece was about to take Driver's Ed from this creep. I called my sister in law to warn her. Funny thing, even though she had gone to a high school across town, she still had heard of his reputation. A few years later he was fired for some dildo brained thing he said to a little girl. Her parents filed a complaint--I'm not even sure there was a name for a sexual harassment complaint back in in 1964 but this was 1980. And then all these other girls and women came forward. Some had proof their complaints had been ignored. The whole mess made the front page of the newspaper. This girl's mother must have been the 50th reporter because there were reports and complaints before, not mine because I was too young to realize, but others who were older, more enlightened. The school kept looking the other way until it had to fire him.

Mr. Montgomery was only the first of a lifetime of neck rubbing, preening, leering pricks. It isn't the sex. It isn't religion. It isn't politics. It is the power these pathetic little men crave. You will never convince me otherwise. Don't ever tell me the issue isn't worth the publicity. Don't ever call it no news. Nowadays it takes 25+ women coming forward to get them fired. It used to take 50+. From the stories I have heard from my grandmothers, I'm betting that one hundred wouldn't have made a dent in a man's reputation in the forties. --s6

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the mid 70s, my mother got a part-time job cleaning offices. One day, she stopped working there almost as quickly as she'd started; I don't remember what she'd told us but it was a lie because my sisters and I wouldn't have understood what "one of the owners cornered me behind a desk and when I rebuffed his advances, he fired me" meant. She didn't tell us the real reason until all three of us were mostly adults.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this not part of Hollywood culture? How come he was tolerated that long? There are more questions than answers. Rape is a rape and all of us hate it. But what are the solutions...
Not raping?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Men keeping their hands and dicks to themselves unless invited to put them elsewhere.

Not wanking into plant pots.

That sort of thing.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
It's far from only a Hollywood problem. I was groped at my public school and by a pastor at a church event and I wish those were the only two times. It's everywhere and imo worse since an admitted sexual predator was elected US president.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Montgomery was only the first of a lifetime of neck rubbing, preening, leering pricks. It isn't the sex. It isn't religion. It isn't politics. It is the power these pathetic little men crave. You will never convince me otherwise. Don't ever tell me the issue isn't worth the publicity. Don't ever call it no news. Nowadays it takes 25+ women coming forward to get them fired. It used to take 50+. From the stories I have heard from my grandmothers, I'm betting that one hundred wouldn't have made a dent in a man's reputation in the forties. --s6

Amen sister. Here's a couple of my working highlights.

I was 14 years old and working in the public library and a retired teacher (who EVERYONE knew was an old pervert) would walk by and pat my ass. When I told my supervisor, I was told to avoid him. HE wasn't told to keep his hands to himself, the onus was on ME to stay out of his way.

I was 18 years old and working in an office where the older women would run interference when a male supervisor (a known womanizer) wanted to "chat" to the younger women.

I was 20 years old and working in an office and was told by a male supervisor that he liked the outfit I wore the day before better, because it "highlighted my shape." Yep because I specifically chose my wardrobe with his approval in mind.

I was a newly engaged 25 year old, working as a receptionist and my 50 something married boss came up behind me, and rubbed my shoulders and said thought that we should go out for a nice quiet lunch so he could "get to know me better." I thanked him (thanked him for God's sake!) and told him that I had banking to do, which I suppose was the work place equivalent of "I have to wash my hair" so he never asked me again. He was actually not even polite to me again either, so I left as soon as I found another job.

Looking back now I'm so appalled that this sort of crap (and much much worse) happened all the time it was considered commonplace and something to be accepted because you are female. And while it was talked about among women (avoid that guy, don't turn your back on him, make sure that you go into the office in pairs etc) it was accepted as something normal. I have a beautiful daughter and I'm happy to see that it's out in the open now and young women are not accepting it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Rape shouldn't be part of any culture. It is tolerated because too many men in power use that power over women and destroy women who speak up personally, professionally and financially. Convicting the rapist and sending him to prison. As well as convicting those who cover up the crimes for him.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

I think this sort of question reflects a larger problem. 1. That men abusing women is an accepted part of any business culture and 2. That such a "culture" only exists in Hollywood.

This is not unique to Hollywood. You ask any woman in any field and they will have these stories (https://jezebel.com/what-job-should-i-choose-to-avoid-workplace-sexual-hara-1819405221). This is an issue with rape culture existing in our world in general. With "boys will be boys" and the horrible systemic belief that women are liars and hysterical. Large systemic changes need to take place. A big one is educating children, boys and girls, from a very young age what consent really is. We also need to stop perpetuating the myth that a no is a maybe, that romantic and sexual relations between genders is inherently antagonistic. We also in general need to work to make it very clear that women are people too, human individuals, not just "other" or prizes to be won.

All this starts at a young age, and to be fair I actually do think these things are already changing, that these new kinds of conversations are actually starting to take place. But we have to keep doing it. And we have to stop assuming that things happen isolated somewhere else and not in one's own world. It's a bit like this Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/article/how-could-harvey-weinstein-get-away-asks-man-curre-57144

Last edited: