Fan Fiction - Learning by Example?

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
I'm always a day late and dollar short. I'd heard about fanfiction.net, and understood vaguely that 50 Shades (which I couldn't get into) started off as fan fiction, but I'd never delved into the whole concept. Last night, I stumbled across the site in my internet wanderings.

Imagine my delight in finding an entire site devoted to stories about almost every conceivable (and inconceivable) movie or television show ever made. It's a procrastinator's paradise, second only to Pinterest! Not feeling much like beating the dead horse that my WIP's prologue had become, I dove headfirst into the wealth of other people's writing, good, bad and indifferent.

I found a romance story based on one of my favorite historical movies. The writing was competent, sorta corny, and crammed with anachronistic dialogue and behavior with just a hint of bad grammar together with a refreshing lack of a plausible plot. But damned if I wasn't totally into it! I missed my bedtime by an hour driving obsessively through chapter after chapter. Like when you eat an entire box of Double Stuf Oreos and you feel sick and queasy, but you gotta have just...one...more...!

And I discovered one of two things: either I have wretched taste in writing, OR the author of this page-turning super-drama knows something that I don't. She went places you don't go if you want to be a "good" writer. And I followed right along! Yeah, I was still hooting at some of the plot twists and rolling my eyes at the dialogue, but I was hooked. Would I have paid to read it? I don't know. Maybe!

How did she grab hold of my imagination and my emotions and totally enthrall me with a work that I had been sniggering at in the first paragraphs? More importantly, how can I do the same thing? Well, without the sniggering part, of course.

What is she doing right that I'm doing wrong? How do you get that energy, that spark, that whatever-it-is that gives the whole thing it's own crazy momentum that sucks a reader in and doesn't turn loose until the last page?

Wow. I gotta read some more of this stuff. :e2cookie:

shizu

Registered
Reaction score
Would you have connected with the story if you weren't already familiar with elements of it? I've written and read more than my fair share of fanfic over the years, and that's the one thing that always leaves me a little ambivalent. IMO, connecting with a character is one of the most important aspects of any creative work (and the one most likely to inspire in me the kind of reaction that fanfic did for you; I'll forgive a lot if I love the characters), and for all its benefits for writers, that's one muscle fanfic doesn't need to flex, because the original source has already done that part. That's often why people write and/or seek out fanfic -- people want more of their favorite characters. Often, if the fanfic writer's interpretation of the characterization clicks with their readers', they'll be along for the ride no matter what you do with the rest of the story.

You're coming at any fanfic with a preconceived idea of the characters and (unless it's an Alternate Universe story) their world. You already have a shortcut into some of the most important elements of a story. You already have a pre-made connection and engagement that you need to create afresh any time you're picking up an original work. It's difficult to judge how successful a fanfic might be on its own merits when the readers are already coming at it from an informed perspective.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Fan fiction has quite a lot of elements in place to make it interesting.

First, it's familiar. A lot of the trepidation some readers might feel towards new pieces of fiction is that it's all a new learning process; our brains actively resist learning, which is challenging, for the most part. When something is familiar, it's easy to just jump in and enjoy the ride. This is partly why people continue reading book series long past when the whole story became dead.

Second, it lives out fantasies. Fan fiction is wish fulfillment in the brightest light. A lot of fan fiction, I find, is based around hinted scenarios like if two characters had sexual/romantic interests that were never initiated (shipping) or different endings (that tend to be more positive). The problem is that what makes great fiction great is the turmoil, the struggle and problematic scenarios, that grow the bonds between the reader and characters. The reader doesn't often want to see the characters fail or act badly or go through troubles, but that's what generates sympathy. Fan fiction often doesn't undergo this, either as strongly or much at all--it doesn't have to often times because sympathy is already generated.

Third, similar to series and following authors, the reader follows the writing because they know it's something they like. They know a certain book series has the romance and political drama they like, but without the brutish action they don't. Fan fiction extends that feeling. If you walk into Harry Potter fan fiction, you know what you're in for. This is why spin-off series can be hit or miss if they don't follow the exact original formula.

There's probably a few more points I'm missing, but those are the highlights I think.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'll forgive a lot if I love the characters), and for all its benefits for writers, that's one muscle fanfic doesn't need to flex, because the original source has already done that part.

Most of the time, this is the case, but there are exceptions. I used to write (and still would, if I had time) Transformers fanfics. Just G1, the original cartoon, and I focused on some minor characters who were pretty one-dimensional on the show.

I enjoyed being able to develop their personalities well beyond what they were in the cartoon. It was a lot of fun to get reviews saying, "I didn't even notice these characters until I read your fics, and now I love them!"

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heh. Now that you wandered into that site, consider checking out my favorite one: www.archiveofourown.org.

Oh, Filigree. You are now responsible for totally destroying my life as I sink into a world of hopeless addiction. Thank you!

I enjoyed being able to develop their personalities well beyond what they were in the cartoon. It was a lot of fun to get reviews saying, "I didn't even notice these characters until I read your fics, and now I love them!"

What Marian said. In the piece I read, the movie character was given a different side to his personality, one only hinted at in the movie that you'd miss if you weren't watching closely. The writer expanded on that one little "what if" and really fleshed out the character to a greater extent than the movie. Plus, she added an original character as the "feisty" heroine and totally pulled it off.

shizu and Kerosene - excellent points! Definitely the lure of the familiar and already established emotional engagement with the characters is key. And I agree with you that someone not engaged in the same way may read it and either fall on the floor laughing or come away completely befuddled. And it's definitely wish fulfillment! Oh, my goodness, YES!

I started thinking, isn't the romance genre really the same thing? You pick up a Regency romance. You're looking for an established world with familiar characters. Like the reformed rake, the innocent miss, the wounded war hero, the beautiful spinster. You're looking for a scandal or some other aristocratic shenanigans that either throw the characters together or keep them apart. And woe betide the writer who doesn't play by the rules! I've seen some searing 1- and 2-star reviews where writers are being reamed a new one because they didn't.

But as shizu pointed out, it all boils down to the characters, doesn't it? Even if you're given hard and fast pieces to work with, you've got to make the characters reach out and grab the reader. You have to breathe that individual spark into them. Maybe fanfic does this more often because they're not so concerned about the mechanics, hooks, crits or reviews? The writers just put it out there, and I'm finding as a reader you sometimes get lot of emotional bang for your buck with these pieces. I'd like to get that same fearless sense of fun in my work. I feel so bogged down right now!

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure fanfic has been acting as a giant feeder tank for the romance genre for a while now.

Everyone above has made very good points about it.

I think one of the ways to incorporate that energy, and sense of play and possibility into your own writing, is to let go of the preconceptions you have for your own writing. When playing with someone else's characters and world, you are borrowing them, playing with them, and (I hope not) not seeking publication or Pulitzer prizes. That takes a lot of the pressure off. I've seen things done in fanfic that world curl your hair. One of the most memorable, from a number of years back, was a ST:TNG short where Captain Picard time-travels back to the Garden of Gethsemene where Jesus Christ is emoting over how Judas will betray him and he will have to be crucified, and the two have a dialogue, offer comfort... and have sex! It was completely transgressive on so many levels, yet, it worked, and was surprisingly tasteful, and made sense to me, even though I was just a casual fan of Star Trek and not one of those raving fangirls. That was a true example of busting internal barriers.

On the other hand, I've read many, many more fanfics where I have no idea of what the show or movie or anime is about, and just been puzzled or bored by them. If something in the plot clicks for me I can approach it as I would approach an original fiction, but that's very rare.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I read across a LOT of fandoms, and I can tell within a paragraph or two whether the story is worth reading.

I use the same methods I learned to evaluate queries and submissions when I helped with an agent's slushpile years ago. I am brutal. That said, I have fave authors whose new work I will read in any fandom.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I was introduced to fanfic about a decade ago and jumped in to the tune of 1,000,000 words in the first year I played around with it. I loved it. It allowed me to refine my writing technique without shouldering the burden of world-building (allowing me to focus on characterization and voice / dialogue). It also plays into the desire for instant feedback. Like Marian, I enjoyed taking bit characters and giving them more to say and do.

It can be a lot of fun.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Fan fic is a great way to learn, and can be a heck of a lot of fun to read, too.

That said, please don't post fanfic on AW. The legality issues alone are a giant frustrating time sink.

TJovanka

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a heavy fanfic reader. I think it's fanfic that made me want to write in the first place. You can really connect to the story and the characters that are from your fandom. And with that passion, you read on desperately, and then just couldn't stop writing yourself.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So I'm hearing from a few people here that writing fanfic is great experience because you're writing with abandon! Like running naked through the springtime meadows! Or something.

If I could get back into the natural storyteller mode I used to be in before I started writing "seriously" that might bring back some of the joy. 'Cause right now, it ain't no fun.

Maybe I should give it a whirl.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm hearing from a few people here that writing fanfic is great experience because you're writing with abandon! Like running naked through the springtime meadows! Or something.

If I could get back into the natural storyteller mode I used to be in before I started writing "seriously" that might bring back some of the joy. 'Cause right now, it ain't no fun.

Maybe I should give it a whirl.

Try just writing for a set period of time.

Alternatively, try writing with a pen or pencil and not a keyboard, then later revising and keyboarding.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Try just writing for a set period of time.

I gave that a try this morning. I set the timer on my stove for 5 minutes. I chose one of my back burner WIPs and just let 'er rip with whatever I needed to say to start telling the story. It was a pretty good sprint. When the time was up, I saved it (three middling long paragraphs). I didn't try to "fix" it or polish it, something I found insanely difficult! Like being eaten alive by mosquitoes and then NOT scratching. But I did it!

I'll look at it tomorrow and see how I feel about it.

Thanks, Herder!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I gave that a try this morning. I set the timer on my stove for 5 minutes. I chose one of my back burner WIPs and just let 'er rip with whatever I needed to say to start telling the story. It was a pretty good sprint. When the time was up, I saved it (three middling long paragraphs). I didn't try to "fix" it or polish it, something I found insanely difficult! Like being eaten alive by mosquitoes and then NOT scratching. But I did it!

I'll look at it tomorrow and see how I feel about it.

Thanks, Herder!

Good for you!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been on that site since ummm, 2000 or 2001 or something. But I don't really update on there anymore. It was so super happening back in the day (for all I know, it still is). They also used to have band fan fiction on there but that section got shut down because it's about real people, which is mean. So they shut that part down (that was my favourite part. *sniff*). But yeah, there's still heaps of good stuff on there. I used to be quite addicted to the ... wait for it... Days of Our Lives fanfics. *wince* Yes, I admitted that out loud! I even have a couple of my own up there! I reckon my writing was better than the show's. ;)

ETA: OH, and the Labyrinth fanfiction. OMG, they had some good stuff there!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I used to be quite addicted to the ... wait for it... Days of Our Lives fanfics. *wince* Yes, I admitted that out loud! I even have a couple of my own up there! I reckon my writing was better than the show's.

Guilty pleasure alert!!!

Well, the story that grabbed me was never finished. I'm in a permanent cliffhanging state on that one. Dang!

Collie

Registered
Reaction score
I love writing fanfic. It's so low stress, people write comments telling me they love the story (or, last week, that I should kill myself, but, you know, it's the Internet) and it's just fun playing with someone else's characters.

Vicent

Registered
Reaction score
On the matter of writing fanfiction as a means of learning I kind of second the idea but with multiple ifs and buts. All nearly focused on: just don't post it on Fanfiction.net. If you want to learn that's not the place, because the enviroment is heavily sycophantic once you get down to it. People who don't like your stuff generally just avoid the writing, not comment it. That can kind of overinflate egos' and blind from one's pitfalls. Forums like spacebattles and sufficient velocity hold more critical crowds, pretty active too. Though if its just releasing steam (and I've done a ton of those), then yeah go wild.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Well, the story that grabbed me was never finished. I'm in a permanent cliffhanging state on that one. Dang!

A particular fic that hooked me was never finished, so I got together with a friend and we wrote our own fic with the same idea, but developing it further and wrapping it up.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A particular fic that hooked me was never finished, so I got together with a friend and we wrote our own fic with the same idea, but developing it further and wrapping it up.

That's the way to do it! Apparently, my perpetual cliffhanger was abandoned due to nasty reviews. Tasteless cretins! :)

I've read a couple more, but I'm not hitting any veins of gold yet. One was very promising, except that there was a semi-colon in 3 sentences out of 5. They literally littered every page. After a while they seemed to stand out in bolded red, and I couldn't go on.