AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Skin Color and Environment

Skin Color and Environment

Hi, I'm trying to prep for NaNoWriMo. In seeking visual images for my main character, I found the perfect skin tone for her (she's a star fragment who took a human form). I feel terrible with colors, so I'm not even sure if she's considered "olive" or "brown" or what. She also has a golden glow to her skin:

I know people of all color can be born from anywhere nowadays, but since I'm trying to figure out what kind of town she lives in... I remember reading that way back when, the environment and amount of sun played a part in human skin color? What kind of environment makes sense for my main character's skin color? All I can think of is the desert, but that's so stereotypical. Maybe islands or the beach?

I'd do something like this:

She had skin like autumn, when the world takes on the crisper hues of turning leaves. Golden where the moonlight hit the points of her cheeks and nose. At a glance, you might assume she came from a forgotten island off the coast of someone's favorite summer vacation spot, but look closer, and it was obvious to me that she was not of this earth. Earth is drab and dismal. She shined.

practical experience, FTW DarienW's Avatar
    Melanii, what a beautiful woman! Cyia, what a beautiful description!

Best of luck with Nano!!!

@Cyia - that's so beautiful! It actually helps quite a bit in narrowing down how to describe her. :P