The Fine Line Between Apocalyptic and Dystopian

Squirrel on a Ledge

Registered
Reaction score
I understand dystopian's death certificate was signed many years ago, but does an apocalyptic novel stand any real chance at representation? The line seems so fine!

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
It's difficult to sell dystopian, apocalyptic, and even general YA SF set on a world/planet (because it's labeled as dystopian even if it's not). That being said, write the story of your heart. Good stories find homes.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm right, the difference is dystopian happens after the apocalypse. (Could it just be a disaster novel.)Write it. Hold onto it. Eventually these books will feel fresh again.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
The fine line? That's tough. All genres can be debated over.

However, there's some general lines. First, I think you meant to say post-apocalyptic.

Dystopian is typically a society that's the opposite of a utopia: think the Giver and Hunger Games. While Hunger Games was set after a devastating war, the plot has to do with its dystopian nature.

Post-apocalyptic looks at the world after its fall. Think Walking Dead. They may visit dystopian societies throughout the story, but the plot has to do with its post apocalyptic nature.