Stylized yellow menorah on blue tile background

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Question Regarding Submitting to Different Magazines

practical experience, FTW CaliforniaMelanie's Avatar

Question Regarding Submitting to Different Magazines

Good morning, everyone!

I am branching out on selling my articles (I do have one individual who has been assigning me work for years but this is primarily ghost writing and I'd like to get my own name out there again).

I am wondering:

1. I am submitting to several sites at a time with the same (currently, as a test) two articles. By doing this, am I implying that it is already as good as in the first taker's hands? In other words, can I then refuse if they say they'd like to accept it but I get a better offer at the same time?

2. Do I actually submit the full article or do I submit my idea and credentials? I don't want my article to be assumed as "given" automatically to the person reading it until I understand their terms (not all do on their Submission Guidelines). On the other hand, I'm not sure whether people currently accept ideas rather than requiring the full article automatically.

Thanks!

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaMelanie View Post
    Good morning, everyone!

I am branching out on selling my articles (I do have one individual who has been assigning me work for years but this is primarily ghost writing and I'd like to get my own name out there again).

I am wondering:

1. I am submitting to several sites at a time with the same (currently, as a test) two articles. By doing this, am I implying that it is already as good as in the first taker's hands? In other words, can I then refuse if they say they'd like to accept it but I get a better offer at the same time?

I don't quite understand this, but from what I can glean, you're simultaneously subbing the same piece to multiple markets? Don't do that. What if two mags want it?

2. Do I actually submit the full article or do I submit my idea and credentials? I don't want my article to be assumed as "given" automatically to the person reading it until I understand their terms (not all do on their Submission Guidelines). On the other hand, I'm not sure whether people currently accept ideas rather than requiring the full article automatically.

Thanks!
    Are you talking about nonfic or short stories? Generally articles are submitted by query (idea), stories with the story itself, but both include your credentials, who you are, etc.

Thank you. These are nonfiction articles.

I am working on a book, but that's another (wait for it) story.

I don't like to write short story fiction.

reading all the things Anna Iguana's Avatar
    Are you submitting your nonfiction articles to news outlets or literary journals? Here is the answer for literary journals...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaMelanie View Post
    1. I am submitting to several sites at a time with the same (currently, as a test) two articles. By doing this, am I implying that it is already as good as in the first taker's hands? Yes. In other words, can I then refuse if they say they'd like to accept it but I get a better offer at the same time? Generally, no.

Don't submit nonfiction articles to any literary mag where you're not yet willing to be published. If you have a list of publishers that are your "top tier," send your article only to those places first; wait to send your article to places you prefer less.

Most publishers specify what they want you to send in submission guidelines posted somewhere on their websites.

If the publisher did not make the contract terms available to you before you submitted, and there's an unacceptable term, it's always appropriate for an author to decline on that basis.

Good wishes with your articles!

Thank you so much!