October Reads and Watches

charliewwriter

Human Person
Registered
Reaction score
All right, the best month of the year is here. I see online people filling out calendars of horror movies to watch throughout the month (I made one up this year) and October reading lists. Does anyone do the 31-days of Halloween calendars? Do you guys have any particular movies or books you watch/read? Any recommendations?

Here's some movies I'm watching:
Already watched: An American Werewolf in London, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), and Gremlins (with my kid).
Up tomorrow night: The VVitch
A few favorites later in the month: The Thing, Alien, Carrie (1976), The Midnight Meat Train, Halloween (78) on Halloween night.
And a boatload more. Plus Stranger Things Season 2 hits Netflix October 20-something.

And here's some October-y books I like for the month:
Halloween, & Halloween:Magic, Mystery, and the Macabre both edited by Paula Guran
A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Halloween Masks: A Trio of Tales by Jeffrey Thomas
Autumn Cthulhu edited by Mike Davis

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I'm on Bradbury's THE OCTOBER COUNTRY for reading, one story a day. It's still one of the benchmark story collections for me.

As for watching, Mrs. Meikle decided to binge watch SUPERNATURAL and I've been tagging along. Started at the beginning, and we're up to Season 9

I've got my annual rewatch of TRICK 'R TREAT and HALLOWEEN 3 to look forward to.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Wicker Man. Possibly Christopher Lee’s creepiest screen role. I remember seeing it for the first time in the theater in 1973. The entire audience sat stunned through the credits.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the SyFy series "Channel Zero: No-End House" (it's 3 of 6 episodes deep in so far). I caught up on last season's arc and it was surprisingly good as well. The story this season, so far, is a little spare (seemingly to preserve some mystery), but the execution is, I dare gush, excellent.

As far as a movie recommendation, I just re-watched The Night of the Hunter, and recommend anyone who's never seen it before to do so, and to those who've seen it before and liked it to revisit it. Now's as fine a time as any.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Something Wicked This Way Comes (the movie) is a holiday staple here. The book's good too, but Bradbury worked on the script, so a fair bit of the flavor carries over. Disney used to make some nice creepy "family" films.

The original Flatliners (not the terrible-sounding remake) had some psychological horror going for it.

If you want lighter fare, hit the library and see if they have the old Kolchak: The Night Stalker series available. Some interesting monsters and a definite influence on The X-Files, though it lasted only a season; I think it was a bit ahead of its time.

For books, maybe give Sheridan le Fanu's Carmilla a try, if you haven't already; scary female vampire, and a shorter read than Stoker's Dracula (which it influenced.) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles also evokes some nice imagery.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
As a rule of fear, I don't watch or read much horror. I especially don't watch demon stuff. Especially Hill House and the Exocist. Lol. ((((Shudder))))) Exceptions are IT, which I've read five or six times, and I just finished binge-watching Stranger Things toward the Season 2 premiere on October 27--I think.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Something Wicked This Way Comes (the movie) is a holiday staple here. The book's good too, but Bradbury worked on the script, so a fair bit of the flavor carries over. Disney used to make some nice creepy "family" films.

The original Flatliners (not the terrible-sounding remake) had some psychological horror going for it.

If you want lighter fare, hit the library and see if they have the old Kolchak: The Night Stalker series available. Some interesting monsters and a definite influence on The X-Files, though it lasted only a season; I think it was a bit ahead of its time.

For books, maybe give Sheridan le Fanu's Carmilla a try, if you haven't already; scary female vampire, and a shorter read than Stoker's Dracula (which it influenced.) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles also evokes some nice imagery.

Ha! Kolchak lighter stuff? That show and the books scared the dickens out of me, so much so I was afraid to walk the twenty feet from my place to Mama's at night. And I was twenty-one years old. :roll:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My dad and I watched Kolchak together! I was in middle school when it was on the air. We loved every minute of it.

I rewatched a few eps last year and now I yawn at the cliche of antagonistic boss and such, but Kolchak himself I still love.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Been a slow October for horror intake, as I've been trying to prepare for Nanowrimo.:scared:

Watched so far - several episodes of AHS Freak Show (yes, I'm just now getting into it!), finally showed The Crow to my teen, Nightmare Before Christmas, some random stuff on Youtube. Wishing I owned a copy of Ghost Story (the 1981 movie).

Also been heavily listening to my Halloween playlist (and will switch in the Samhain playlist as the holiday gets closer).