Orange and Black October - 500 words per day editing/writing - all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Wellllllll October is the month of Halloween, so that made sense to me!

How'd September go? Did you make your goals? Fall a little short?

What are your goals for this month?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My main goal last month was to finish my secret project and also get most of Fireborn rewritten. I am proud to say that I managed to do both. Fireborn is very close to being done, and the SP is done at 23k. :D

Biggest thing I need to do this month is finish Fireborn and start revising. I have until November 1st technically, but I am also hoping to participate in Nano. Actual deadline is Dec 1st but I need time to edit.

I'd love to also edit some or all of the secret project.

Transfer my outline for my Nano novel to note cards. Preferably before Nov. 1st. ;)

And a bonus would be to create a new cover for my flash anthology, In Flames. It needs some love! I found an awesome image for the cover and am wibbling over typography.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
September was a blur. Some words happened but they were few and far between. October is looking like it might be the same, so I need to buckle down and make sure I make progress.

Saoirse, those are some great goals - hope you do well.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
How did October happen??

I got quite a lot done in September, as it happens. I shipped off my draft, and I'm pretty happy with bits of it. We'll see what kind of notes I get in return.

For October...I've got a book coming out the 17th, and two promo posts I have to write by the 10th, but other than that it's not going to keep me that busy. I've been working on another Thing, which is a Thing I'll never be able to sell, but it's been yelling at me so I've decided to write the Thing in hopes of clearing my brain for Another Thing that I might possibly be able to sell.

So! October goals:

- 2 promo posts
- At least 1K/day on the Thing
- Processing any notes that come in on the submitted MS

Go, everybody! :e2cheer:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liz - I have a few Things of my own like that. May never see the light of day — or be self-pubbed maybe — but I feel compelled to write. It's kind of freeing.

310 words today on Fireborn. Got a much cleaner, more logical way to work the ending. Also lurching toward the end. Or hurtling. Not sure which atm.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hurtling and lurching all at once, perhaps, Saoirse? :)

I did indeed get 1,023 words today on WIP #2. I also shipped books to the Goodreads winners (I love sending books, but oh I wish it were cheaper!). And I continued to procrastinate on my promo, which OH LOOK is creeping up on me pretty fast now.

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Quite possibly, Liz. ;)

1,528 words and Fireborn is DONE. :D I am still not happy with the ending, but that's for revision. According to my records, I've written 37,000 words in 3 months. :faints:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
31 pages in. I was dismayed to find out that it was 12 pages I'd revised today vs 22. (I'd counted wrong!). Oh well, still a third done. ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, Saoirse! :hooray: :hooray:

Sorry for the absence. Been in retreat. Planning to pick back up on Thursday. In the meantime, I am here to cheer for all. :e2cheer:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Didn't get anything done MS-wise today, but I did schedule a launch day post for my blog, and thought about strategy.

I think I need to begin with a read-through, but I'm leaning toward fixing/revising as I go, rather than doing a full read before I change anything. Some of the changes I'm thinking of are likely to bloat the length a bit, but at this point I don't care. Once it's all breathing as it should be, I can think about carving things out.

Considering NaNo, because I love doing NaNo and the winner's T is cute this year. It's probably not where I ought to be putting my efforts atm...but hey, the only deadlines I have are my own.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
A lovely person has volunteered to beta for me, so I get to leave WIP #1 in their hands for a while, and work on WIP #2.

I think I may start over again, just because I've tweaked some of the events at the start and it'll be fun. And it'll give me a nice run-up to NaNo, which I'm going to do even if I'm also revising WIP #1, because fun.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sounds good, Liz. I am also doing Nano, but with an amended goal of 30k (because bad wrists).

I have a book I've been meaning to rewrite for 8 years. I decided I just need to do it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
All NaNo goals are good ones, Saoirse. I hope your wrists behave for you.

I didn't do any MS work today, but I did finish a written interview that should go up tomorrow. (I love written interviews. I'm so much less likely to sound like a jackass.) More words tomorrow, for sure. (No, really.)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Liz. Yay on the written interview! I enjoy those too.

On page 72 of 98 on Fireborn. I think I'm going to have to rewrite a big portion from scratch. Le sigh.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hugs on the rewrite, Saoirse. Been there.

Hey, I wrote actual words today! It's a scene I've written a few times before, but I'm really happy with this approach.

It was fun, kinda, which is good. There are horses to be climbed back up on.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hello all! Just checking in to note I'll be away for a couple of weeks. Get some good words while I'm gone, yeah?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Will do, OSG.

I haven't looked at my revision in 2 days. Was frantically copyediting. I'm due more parts soon (she's giving it to me as she edits it), but my deadline is in THREE DAYS.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
We will all write like fiends, osg. :)

Go, Saoirse! :e2cheer: You can hit that deadline, no problem.

I wrote 290 mighty words today. Not many, but this was also Release Day for Book 3, so I had some promotional organization to do, too.

More words tomorrow.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Liz. Good luck with the words tomorrow.

150 words on Fireborn. I actually didn't have time (or brainpower) for more. So tomorrow I will try for more.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
150 is a good word count, Saoirse. Go, you!

I did a little better today than I did yesterday - 836. Starting to get used to it again.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So my person hasn't sent me anything since Tuesday, and today is my deadline. Oh well. I can't copyedit what I don't have. :( In all fairness, she's been going through a rough time and she's doing her best. I just hate missing deadlines.

I wrote 372 words yesterday, and ditched a clue that should have come much later in the story. Mystery writing is tough.