What do 'they' say about you?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You know 'they', as in anyone other than yourself.

What are some qualities good or bad that others have attributed to you?

And do you agree with those characterizations, and just what do you have to say for yourself?

I'll start with the negatives:

temperamental
aloof
impulsive
unrealistic...to be continued.

As for the positives:

loyal...

I can't argue with the negatives. Temperamental, have been that way since I can remember, so maybe, it's not my fault? Though I work on it. Aloof, for an extrovert I can be shy, and I think that's often mistaken for aloofness or arrogance. Impulsive, I've gotten a lot better, but still have the tendency. Unrealistic, I've made no progress, though life has insisted that I do the everyday grunt work, I still believe in miracles and I'm not inclined to change, because it just feels so good.

How 'bout you?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Impatient, it's a curse. Don't know what to do about it.

Combative, I could blame it on my youth, oh hell, I just will blame it on my upbringing. When everyone's out to get you, you're not paranoid, you've just got your eyes open, and sometimes you end up a little too fast on the draw, or worse, you find out that you were just mistaken. Reminds me of a guy I knew, kind of semi famous guy who was this way. So one day, he's having dinner in a restaurant, someone keeps looking at him, and my friend says, "What are you lookin' at?"

"I'm sorry, but aren't you _______ _______?"

I'm not at all this way anymore. I expect the best of people, give everyone the benefit of a couple of doubts. I'd rather err that way.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, ok, a couple more. I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have opened this can 'o worms, which is a natural segue into the first, I've never thought I was particularly hard on myself until several people mentioned it to me, in an 'of course' kind of way. I guess I never saw it, because I just thought I was trying to do my best.

Also, I tend to walk away from things too quickly, but I rarely do that anymore.

Okay, guys, fess up. I'm in this all alone!

Haha, unless the implication is I'm the only one out here so thoroughly fucked up! Oh, no, I hadn't thought of that...

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Which "they" and when?

I have at various times been called a dinosaur, an encyclopedia, a dictionary, stuck up, aloof, beautiful, a saint, a q-tip, an Ayrab (correct, but for the wrong reason), a member of the KKK (because I wear white), the Easter Bunny, a diaperhead, and a nut. My family occasionally referred to me as like Cordelia (re King Lear), because Dad and I did not get along.

But you know something, what people say isn't necessarily what I am.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's very true, we're different things to different people, and at different times in our lives. A q-tip, Siri? What the ...

Yeah, magic mirror, of course. Though I have to say that a lot of the criticisms I've gotten were fair, in that these were impressions I've gotten more than once. Anybody who knows me of course, who really knows me, loves me unconditionally! I just think it's interesting - impressions vs. reality, or maybe more on point, impressions are just that, and don't often reflect truth.

Now, if we want to get into ethnic slurs, oh yeah, especially where I grew up which wasn't exactly the most enlightened, tolerant spot on the planet, so yeah, AY Rab, Sandscratcher, Sand******, and then wop, guinea, etc.

Ha, just had a thought that the "aloof" or "arrogant" thing which I've gotten too, could just be discriminating taste! And sometimes I think it's consideration of others space, of their thoughts, etc. Hahahaha, or maybe I'm just an aloof, arrogant bastard! I'll have to ask my wife to weigh in.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Q-tip is the nicer way of saying diaperhead. White turban.

If you're an aloof arrogant bastard, why do you post so many interesting things here? And does RYFW include respecting ourselves?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
At the end of the day the only opinion that counts is mine.
I know what I've done or what I've not done and why, and I'm own my worst critic.
I do my best not to harm any one along the way, yet idle gossipers with nothing better to do
will still voice an opinion. But, to be honest, I couldn't care less.
Who am I to judge?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They say I'm fun to be with, but I can also be very "bossy" :Shrug:

Now, sit down, and shut up! :tongue

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...I'm not sure I can post some of the stuff that's been said about me (but they don't know me like they think they do, so I tend to ignore them).

For good or bad, I've been called:

Stuck up
Flirty
Obnoxious
Moody
Lose interest in people/things quickly
Funny
Can tell a good story
Friendly
Loyal
Artistic
Dramatic
Kind
Thoughtful

Of course, what do they know, right? Except...I probably agree with all of it, to a point. We are all a combination of good and bad, which is what makes us human. The key, I think, is to learn from mistakes and work to minimize the negative traits. Listen to the opinions of people who love us unconditionally (if we're lucky enough to have people like that), listen to our own mind and heart, and keep our head up in the midst of the naysayers. Anyone who has been hurt by me or has a problem with me should have the decency to come and talk to me about it and keep their mouths shut otherwise. And I try to do the same for others.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I think people see what they see and infer what they will, but most often it's incomplete at best. So they may say, He's curt, or she thinks a lot of herself, or, who the hell does he think he is? But most often the person they're talking about will be if not surprised by the characterization, then feel diminished by it because it rarely gets to what's behind it. We only get manifestations. And, after all, it's all projection anyway--if not in the literal sense, then in the sense that everything we see is seen within the context of our biases.

I just think it's an interesting subject, because it deals with the accuracy and inaccuracy of perceptions, and beyond that, the psychology behind our impressions and behavior.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I think people see what they see and infer what they will, but most often it's incomplete at best. So they may say, He's curt, or she thinks a lot of herself, or, who the hell does he think he is? But most often the person they're talking about will be if not surprised by the characterization, then feel diminished by it because it rarely gets to what's behind it. We only get manifestations. And, after all, it's all projection anyway--if not in the literal sense, then in the sense that everything we see is seen within the context of our biases.

I just think it's an interesting subject, because it deals with the accuracy and inaccuracy of perceptions, and beyond that, the psychology behind our impressions and behavior.

Which is why the human condition is so fascinating, and why I enjoy creating characters to dance that very dance. =)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it's about motivation, right? Whether conscious or subconscious.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I've had people think I was stuck up - but it's only because I often don't know what to say, so I say nothing.

When I was younger, I used to try to please everyone, but as I grew older, I took Ricky Nelson's words to heart 'you can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself'.

These days I like who I am very much and if someone else doesn't, that's their problem, not mine.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Crazy, out-of-control, idiot, blind, nuts, asshole, prick, insane....

If I'm lucky, I can get all of those and more within one game. Or, if it's a very good day, within one candid outburst after having, of course, mortally injured some team's prospects in a match by awarding a penalty or issuing a card.

Sometimes they get creative, which is at least half the fun of reffing men's rec leagues.