Ancient Historical Fiction YA

Ms.Pencila

Registered
Reaction score
I have an idea for a story taking place in ancient Gaul, during Julius Caesar's campaigns there, but was wondering if that time/place would really draw any interest in a YA audience? Whenever I look for ancient Roman YA, it looks like I get a lot more mythological stuff, but this would definitely be historical rather than mythical. (I'm thinking it will be YA because the MC is necessarily a teenager, being a hostage adopted into a Roman family).

I haven't outlined the whole thing yet, but have started some research (translating Caesar's conquest was a kind of starting point), and am getting a good idea of the conflict (choice between new family and protecting old, not getting killed, finding his place, etc.), love interest(s), and some of the side characters. So before I go any further: is this something anybody would be interested in reading, or am I better off trying to stick with my other wips? (Which all, admittedly, are more complicated, but at least I'm already working on them).

If it does sound fair, is there anything else I should keep in mind for writing historical YA? (Not all that long ago that I've read some with varying degrees of enjoyment, but I've never really kept up with new releases in the genre).

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Any good book will be interesting to read. But life in ancient times was very different from today and it will be difficult to both keep it historically true and relatable to today's teen readers. But hey, you've found a gap in the market that your book could fill and you could just use that opportunity. :e2cheer:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'd say go for it, with appropriate research.

This kind of thing has been around longer than you might think. When I was in fifth grade (mid 1970s) I got hold of an earlier printing of this book, Mara, Daughter of the Nile, and it satisfied my budding Egyptomania and sweet-romance hunger. I can't remember the name, but a cache of donated library books from the fifties or sixties yielded what would now be a MG-to-YA story set in ancient Hawai'i, with a chieftain's son raised in secret as a low-class serf. Also good, great action scenes, and very visual.

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds very interesting! I usually scout for YA that I haven't seen before, especially if the setting is interesting, so I imagine you could grab a lot of readers with this! I'm currently reading through A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, which is set in Victorian England but the voice is super modern. If you're worried about being too fusty, I would recommend giving this a read for reference.

Bugjune

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the South, but I'm not a Southerner
I loved the Red Tent - in the end all stories are about people, the characters and what they go through. The time and place just adds fun and an interesting opportunity to wreck havoc on your MC. I say go for it, but first be clear what your MC conflict/goal is before you bury yourself in research and kill several weeks of your life. Btw, I just got back from Rome... There are so many avenues to pursue!!

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the Percy Jackson & the Olympians crowd will have gotten older and now want something meatier, historically.
I know I LOVED Roman history as a teen (more so than Greek). A fascinating period of human history.
I'd imagine the 'hook' is the historical acuracy (how ordinary peasants lived as well as top) Rome was full of rules and societal guidelines as was the Empire (postal system, pensions, welfare, 'universities', rules on slave ownership, head of household duties, tithes, tributaries, the attempts by different senators to sway the plebiscite who had a right to vote, etc, etc. (Depending on period.) But the Julius Caesar era, definitely had interesting events. (upon memory and quick search, the plebs were defunct force by then. ;))

Go for it.

Last edited:

achortleaday

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say there's nothing inherently blocking ancient history from younger readers (I can think of lots of examples of fairly popular ancient history younger lit) though given recent trends in YA it might be a tad easier to sell for MG than YA. But if it demands to be a YA story, I think you should write it!

I have actually *really wanted* to read almost exactly this book (YA set in Roman Gaul with a female protag) for a while now so you are guaranteed an audience of at least 1 (and a beta reader, if you ever need one!)