The word 'but'

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I dreamt the other night about the word 'but' and how we use it. Often it comes with sort of a negative; "Love the dress, 'but' it makes you look ... (fill in the blank). Or "Your party was great, 'but'...
Sometimes, but more seldom it is being used in a sort of positive; "I know you are worried, 'but' maybe you shouldn't be" kind of statement.
In my dream the word 'but' almost became the subject of a whole new book.

So why is it this prevalent in our language. Is it just the beginning of a 'white lie', or does have its own value?

Last edited:

Adirahalcyon

Registered
Reaction score
Never thought of that way before. But yes, it is kinda a way to lie or hide some small stuff.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have thought it was just a method of introducing a second, possibly conflicting thought. A nuance-alert.

I don't see it as heralding a lie - it's doing the opposite, isn't it?

ETA: Great dream, but.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's more of a sign that our language is not equipped with the correct tools to correctly voice our thoughts. Human beings are very obscure, vague, neutral and wildly minded creatures with a variety of thoughts, and when we try to voice just one we might meet contradictory details that contrast with that thought. Other than "but" there's a ton of other words and grammar that we use to bring in contrasting details. However, yet, besides, other than that, and further on. We simply do not have the correct tools to accurately voice our thoughts.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Life is a mix of positive and negative. "But" lets us include both sides of the mess equitably.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
So why is it this prevalent in our language.
I have no idea what you mean. There about 500 words that are prevalent in our language, some much more than "but". And I see no "white lies" inherent to "but". For example: "I want to participate this thread but I'm distracted by the cat."

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
As stated by Jon Snow in Game of Thrones: "Everything before the 'but' is bullsh+**t."

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is my debut post on this thread, but I was thinking of butting in and butchering this thread. But then again I thought why not? It could do with some abutment to butter you up.

I could be told to butt out or someone else someone might offer a rebuttal, but I thought I might as well contribute, and you are free to attribute this reply to me.

But now I have to go: I will take a boat along a tributary and hence into the sea, avoiding all the halibut while I head for the isle of Bute.

Cindy Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
I have always thought of 'but' as one of those tiny little words with incredible power...the power to disavow, in one fell swoop, all that has gone before it! But it also has the potential to serve as a handy conciliatory tool when you start a new sentence with it; a way to qualify a harsh statement.

Last edited:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I hear the word but, then everything before it doesn't count lol!

This ^.

I have always thought of 'but' as one of those tiny little words with incredible power...the power to disavow, in one fell swoop, all that has gone before it! But it also has the potential to serve as a handy conciliatory tool when you start a new sentence with it; a way to qualify a harsh statement.

And this ^.

I agree. 'But' does tend to negate the words that go before it. However, that may not always be the case. :)