Congrats on the new puppy, Dammy!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Thanks. Company management helped me get a discounted rate at a hotel in the same block as the theatre, so at least now I have someplace to lay my head. I'll be getting a refund of my security deposit on my sublet, so that will ease the pain somewhat.

Yay! I'm glad you've got a place and that you're getting a refund.

And then there's me, getting a new 8-week old puppy on Thursday right before my parents leave for the weekend and with NaNo starting imminently.

PUPPY! Congratulations on the new pet. I hope that's not too challenging through NaNo :)

Okay, update time.

[ ] Finish formatting the eBook I've been stalling on.
[X] Figure out a title/theme for the reprint short story collection I'm pulling together.
This one is looking unlikely.​
[ ] Finish the change I want to make to one of my novellas (flipping some secondary characters around).
[--] Prep for NaNoWriMo.
The work continues. I expect I won't finish this until the last minute.​
[X] Read The Martian before book club.
[ ] Do edits on the E shorty story, whenever they come in.
Still waiting (mine's toward the end of a very long list of stories). This might carry over again.​

Constant Goals:
[--] Changing sleep cycle; focus on night.
Enforced shut down appears to have helped. I was worried I'd be in the middle of things when the computer called it quits for the night, but instead it's been a motivation to finish earlier. So far so good.​
[--] Clean my office.
More progress! I've only got one small stack (two random-stuff shoe-boxes and a bunch of photographs) to go through. Then I have a shelf of "keep but still need to find a place for" stuff and a stack of things to give away or donate. Other than that, I've cleared the centre of the room and my computer desk, so I might actually pull this one off this month.​
[42] Write 1K words a day (for 52 weeks).

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

So what did you think of it? I thought the writing was only so-so, but it was a helluva story.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
So what did you think of it? I thought the writing was only so-so, but it was a helluva story.

I really enjoyed it! I found some of the PoV shifts jarring, especially the first one, but it kept me engaged the whole way through.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Creativity:
[8] Take part in the Inktober art challenge. 31 days, 31 drawings.
[X] Write 10k words
[ ] Write 20k words
[ ] Write the angelpocalypse prequel
[ ] Finish the angelpocalypse rewrite, clearing the slate for a NaNoWriMo shiny new WIP
[ ] September recap blog
[ ] Helsinki trip blogging
[ ] Finish playing any video game

Reading:
[ ] Email about a tardy beta read
[X] Read: Running Home by Julie Hutchings
[ ] Read: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
[ ] Read: A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers
[ ] Read: Anatomy of a Story

Health:
[7] Spinning: 9 sessions
[X] Roller Derby: 4 sessions
[X] Weight: Get back in the 130s. (Birthdays are haaaard!)
[X] Weight: Hit -60lbs.
[ ] Weight: Hit lowest weight since I was 18. (1.4lbs away)

---

Been a hectic month, but trying to get back on track as much as possible. Wish me luck!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, EMaree - your list is always impressive, but the weight loss is SPECTACULAR. Once I get home from NYC I've got at least seven stress-eating pounds to lose. And I know it's not going to be easy heading into the holidays.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only a few days remaining in October folks - and then it's on to November (and for some, NANO)!

The only writing I did this week were blogs for Book #2's virtual book tour, which begins 11/7. I finally finished OSLO and read a couple more books (Philip Pullen's THE GOLDEN COMPASS and THE SUBTLE KNIFE), so I surpassed my reading goal for the month and will probably have at least one more book under my belt for the end of the month.

I went up to Central Park yesterday to do some birding in a section I'd never visited before - the Ross Pinetum, which turned out to be nothing much. I hadn't slept well and was tired, so between that and the amount of the Park that's currently fenced off or otherwise inaccessible, I kept getting turned around. I was beat by the time I got home.

I will finish packing tomorrow in preparation for my Nov. 1 move into a hotel for the last five days of this show's run. I'm so ready to go home.

1. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been - 1 of 2
2. Read five books - 6 of 5 DONE
3. Get at least 10k words written on rough draft of Book #5 - currently 4,090
4. Post two "teaser" graphics per week on social media to promote Book #2 - 8 of 10
5. Get pre-order date for Book #2 from publisher and promote accordingly - DONE
6. Plan promo for cover reveal of Book #3 on October 23 - DONE
7. Decide whether to do NaNo in November
- DONE - I'm in
8. Figure out where I'm going to live for the first 5 days of November - DONE; hotel reservations made
9. Write a half dozen blog posts for FISKUR's virtual book tour - 4 of 6

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's Halloween, and the last day of October. The month flew by, didn't it?

I achieved all my goals except the writing one - so I'll have to make up for that with NaNo. I'm going to get a slow start, I fear - I'll start my final week in the show tonight, and my hotel stay tomorrow, and my husband is in town and will want to go DO things when I'm not at the show, and then my second book releases next Tuesday, with all the attendant promo (my marketing person wants still more book tour blogs - WAH). This isn't going to create an atmosphere conducive to concentrated writing, but I'm going to do the best I can, and hope I can get in the grove by the following week.

Read one more book and started another, and yesterday walked all the way across Manhattan to the East River with my husband and paid a visit to the Chrysler building, which I hadn't seen. You can only tour the lobby but the Art Deco design is stunning. That gave me my second and final New York City jaunt.

1. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been - 2 of 2 DONE
2. Read five books - 7 of 5 DONE
3. Get at least 10k words written on rough draft of Book #5 - currently 4,090
4. Post two "teaser" graphics per week on social media to promote Book #2 - 10 of 10 DONE
5. Get pre-order date for Book #2 from publisher and promote accordingly - DONE
6. Plan promo for cover reveal of Book #3 on October 23 - DONE
7. Decide whether to do NaNo in November
- DONE - I'm in
8. Figure out where I'm going to live for the first 5 days of November - DONE; hotel reservations made
9. Write a half dozen blog posts for FISKUR's virtual book tour - 6 of 6 DONE

I'm off to start the November thread - all are welcome, whether you're NaNo-ing or not!

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
End-of-month results:

* Read 4 books (one is for school, second is a nonfiction one I started last month, the other two are whatever I grab). Done
* Write 4 blog posts. Done
* Write 8 poems (2 per week). Done
* Complete all this month's study-related tasks. Done
* Make a list of all the projects that aren't entangled in my giant messy one, with notes on which ones I still find interesting. Done
* Do an archive dive on a few of the most appealing old projects. Done
* Choose a project to revive. Done
* Do random activities, exercises etc. with the chosen project to get back into writing and thinking about the characters. Done

I seem to have more or less done everything on this month's list, although after spending all that time looking at old projects I ended up deciding to just start a random new thing for NaNoWriMo. Since I'm pantsing, though, it will probably turn out to have elements of what I was reading in it.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, SiennaBlackwood!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Goals for the next LAST week:
[X] Finish MOONSWAY's edits, yo! I done diggily did the edits, as of yesterday! :D
[ ] Finish reading a book, any book, before the end of the month... yo! Still haven't, but there's still time...
[ ] Prepare for the puppy (her name will be Topaz! :D) so she can be comfortable and safe in the house. Puppy has landed in the hizzouse. She is very hairy and confident for the most part.
[X] Make a new outline for the (rebel within me's) final part of my Trilogy of One Book(s) so I know what to do during NaNo! yo... <<
Will be doin' this today, so...

See you all in the NaNo-NaNoWriMo thread! :D

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Love that Anne of Green Gables quote!!!!

October is going to be a month of finding my ducks and lining them up. :TheWave:

[X]I have three drafts to read and work revision outlines for. Then I have to pick one to focus on in NaNo and outline heavily (I think I know which one... needs an ending) Finished a rewrite on one project, made a big edit (cut almost 30k words!) on another and outlined a new shiny for NaNo.
[X]I definitely want to dent my TBR pile, (writing as been absorbing my free time this month). Two books hardly dents my pile, but I'll take it. I've also been helping my little sister read her chapter books.
[X]I want to beta and make more cp and writing friends. Yay, I'm most excited about this one!!
[]Write some music. Nope, but we did have two gigs.

Wow Oct, I got more done than I thought. Good to look back on!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
So surgery and recovery took all the oomph out of me. Still pretty bleh at the moment. I would like to blame my poor month on that, but I planned and did badly even before the properly sick parts. I failed my daily goals, of course, but I don't think I can really be blamed there.

I did manage to get my story edited. Finally. I've been meaning to edit this one for probably, oh, a year or two now. I got most of it down earlier in the month, and then yesterday (the 31st) I managed to finish up the small final edits. So yay!

I made pretty map for my game.

I finished Cinderella Six Feet Under. Enjoyed, but decided not to start the next one yet (and as my library books are due back...). Instead I jumped to Seanan McGuire's Incryptid series, and in the last couple of days finished Discount Armageddon and Midnight Blue-Light Special. So I still failed the reading goal, but much more respectably than I had been going to :p

Now to go look at the million threads that sprang up with November!

1. Read six books. 4/6
2. Game planning. Yes.
3. Edit three chapters. 1/3
4. Edit short story. 1/1
5. Choose/plan Nano. Yes.
6. Edit 2 pages or write 500 words a day. No.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Mary Love, and Tamlyn - feel better!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
[ ] Finish formatting the eBook I've been stalling on.
[X] Figure out a title/theme for the reprint short story collection I'm pulling together.
[ ] Finish the change I want to make to one of my novellas (flipping some secondary characters around).
[X] Prep for NaNoWriMo.
Good enough.​
[ ] Do edits on the E shorty story, whenever they come in.
Bumping again.​

Constant Goals:
[--] Changing sleep cycle; focus on night.
Slipped a little the last couple of nights, due to end of the month plans, but going okay.​
[--] Clean my office.
Did not finish it off this month, but I have kept things from back-sliding.​
[43] Write 1K words a day (for 52 weeks).

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
[FONT=&quot]October Goals[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Creativity:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][17] Take part in the Inktober art challenge. 31 days, 31 drawings. (You can see them all here!)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][X] Write 10k words[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][X] Write 20k words[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] Write the angelpocalypse prequel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] Finish the angelpocalypse rewrite, clearing the slate for a NaNoWriMo shiny new WIP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] September recap blog[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] Helsinki trip blogging[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] Finish playing any video game[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reading:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] Email about a tardy beta read[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][X] Read: Running Home by Julie Hutchings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] Read: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] Read: A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ ] Read: Anatomy of a Story[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Health:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][X] Spinning: 9 sessions [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][X] Roller Derby: 4 sessions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][X] Weight: Get back in the 130s. (Birthdays are haaaard!)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][X] Weight: Hit -60lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][X] Weight: Hit lowest weight since I was 18. (1.4lbs away)[/FONT]

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to update:

1. Finish 4,000 word short story. - 0, Fail
2. Finish 1,500 word short story (mystery) for submission - Wrote more than 1,500 words but not a complete story. Fail
3. Write 1 chapter Sc-fi - Wrote 2.

1/3 for me. The sci-fi is my focus at the moment, so even though I didn't get much done, I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.