Overcoming Project Fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenwritesalot

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. First a little background. I am a traditionally published author of a memoir about discovering what my father really did during WWII. It came out in 2011.

My current project is a narrative nonfiction book about a Vietnam veteran and portrait artist who gave up an amazing career to dedicate himself to drawing portraits of the fallen for their families, free of charge. He has lead an interesting and involved life, so the project has required a LOT of research. He's also a combat veteran so gaining his trust became a big part of being privileged enough to hear his story. I've now been working on it for five years. It is near completion but still needs serious editing. But truth be told, I'm tired of it. I'm tired of working on it. I've taken breaks and it doesn't help. Five years is a long time to keep up the momentum and mental stamina for one project and I've lost that spark I once had. Writing is hard; I know that. Writing someone else's story is doubly so. I know it's a story that has to be told. I know it's amazing. I'm just tired and unmotivated to keep going.

I'd love to know that I'm not alone out here. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Sincere thanks!

FortrixEnigma

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the experience in working on a long writing project like that, but I recently went through something similar in my career. I had a lead role on a project I loved with a great group of people, but there were many factors (financial, personnel, executive vision changes) that kept the project from making any progress. This went on for almost two years and eventually it became more of a drag than anything else. I had invested a ton of time and mental energy in the project and taken breaks like you did to try to recapture the passion for it, but I ultimately ended up switching jobs because nothing was working.

Deciding to leave was tough, really tough. Even though I found a great new job, I felt tender for several months. I was guarded about giving my time and investing in new effort. I needed to reset.

I spent many months trying to balance out the imbalance that I realized I'd had on that prior project and to learn how to take care of my own needs. It wasn't until about 9 months after finding a new job that I started feeling energetic and passionate again. I needed that mental space to learn again how to be engaged in something I wanted to work on. Now when I think back on the old project, I can do so fondly, and even envision things I'd do now to help solve the problems we were having then.

You might need more time, or more space, or to give yourself permission to let go and do something else for a while. Is there anything else sparking your interest? Maybe pursue that for a bit to clear your head and then see if you feel a renewed spark for your current project.

Status
Not open for further replies.