AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Series you've stopped reading

Merovingian Superhero ULTRAGOTHA's Avatar
    I gave up on any Piers Anthony after I realized that only the first or second book of any of his series were readable. Then I found out about Thatham Mound and Firefly. Oh, hell, no.

Orson Scott Card got redundantly repetitive and then wanted me imprisoned so I stopped reading him.

I, as a young teen, got only part way through Book three of the Thomas Covenant books and gave up in disgust at Thomas's whinging.

I read 1.5 books of SoIaF and Wheel of Time. Neither of them held my interest. Though I know a teen who devoured the entire WoT series over a summer and wished for more.

Mercedes Lackey is losing my interest. Even with her Elementals series.

Anne McCaffrey got repetitive soon after Dragondrums and boring not long after that. (Though I disagree with those who say Pern was becoming higher tech than the founders intended. 1) I think they were regaining tech the founders did intend and 2) I don't know that founders intent should guide descendent's decisions to that extent. If anything, AVIS was too paternalistic in that regard for my tastes.)

I've been amazed at how well Lois McMaster Bujold has been able to hold my interest. I didn't much like her last novel, but she' turning out novellas that I'm gladly paying $3.99 for and they're worth it.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts."
    --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

================================
    "He has the courage of a fighting cock and the brains of a chicken."
    -I cannot find the attribution for this :-(
    ================================

@ULTRAGOTHA on Twitter

Wheel of time
    Ender's game
    Way of kings
    Name of the wind
    Game of thrones
    Hyperion
    Pern dragonriders
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
    Thomas Covenant (didn't read new series)
    Amber spyglass
    Kushiels Dart
    Wizard's first rule

Actually, just... Every epic fantasy series I've ever started, thinking about it. Except LOTR and Assassins Apprentice. Plus a few non epic FA. This is probably why I spent years and years thinking I didn't like fantasy anymore.
    Last edited by Harlequin; 10-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    Deferential, glad to be of use,
    Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
    Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
    At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
    Almost, at times, the Fool.

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnleaf View Post
    The first 6 or 7 Stephanie Plum books were entertaining, but they started to repeat themselves and I finally gave up at book 12 (was loaned them by a friend -- would probably have given up earlier if I'd been buying them myself).
    Exact same with me. Friend lent me the books, and I quit around 13 or 14 when it finally hit me that years upon years were passing (we could see a background kid be conceived, born, age) and the titular character HADN'T CHANGED A BIT (Stephanie STILL waffling on the SAME TWO GUYS, STILL self-loathing despite the same two guys fighting over her, STILL refusing to use a gun despite the job, STILL has her pet hamster...). I kept up as long as I did because I loved the side characters. But I just could not follow the MC anymore.
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

Blog (updated 09/05/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

practical experience, FTW autumnleaf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Maxwell View Post
    Exact same with me. Friend lent me the books, and I quit around 13 or 14 when it finally hit me that years upon years were passing (we could see a background kid be conceived, born, age) and the titular character HADN'T CHANGED A BIT (Stephanie STILL waffling on the SAME TWO GUYS, STILL self-loathing despite the same two guys fighting over her, STILL refusing to use a gun despite the job, STILL has her pet hamster...). I kept up as long as I did because I loved the side characters. But I just could not follow the MC anymore.
    That hamster must be breaking some records for longevity at this stage!
    https://taleswildatlantic.wordpress.com/
    I reject your reality and substitute my own
    ~ Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12