It's the simple things

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
May I suggest all or part of that last paragraph would make a swell signature line?

Maryn, pretty sure the use of "swell" dates her

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Will do, Maryn. Just have to edit it...you know, just a few more times...

Football brings me joy. So into it this year, I've taken to watching college.

Also, just spending time with my family. Last night was a rare night when we were all together. We play gin for a dime a point--and I have to say my wife is the worst winner I've ever known. When she wins a hand, she gets up and dances and just generally rubs your nose in it. I knew those yoga classes were a bad idea.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never played gin and kept score. What kind of money does the evening's big winner rake in? I used to have a friend who played nickel poker with her extended family when they visited, and she liked to crow how she'd won six bucks.

Among my happiest times are the nuclear family together playing party games, fueled with a reasonable amount of alcohol to remove inhibitions, since we're all seriously introverted. But we can't do that with our past reckless abandon since our daughter transitioned. The more we drink, the more likely we are to make a pronoun mistake, and that hurts her. My wishes these days aren't for publication or sales but for never making such a mistake ever again.

Maryn, crossing her fingers, driving under train bridges, and eating the wish bite last

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm constantly putting my foot in my mouth with my kids, and they're not shy about letting me know about it. No one wins much in our card games, Maryn, because we're pretty evenly matched. This is what happens when you give all your secrets away.

I'm one transplant who used to have some family out here. We had so many great holidays, and just Sundays really. I miss that, but now we're a nuclear family who actually enjoys each other's company, so our weekends are pretty nice around here.

Last edited:

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What brings me joy? My beloved Hubby greeting me in the morning, and also seeing his wonderful face throughout the day.

The smell of a good stew on the stove.

Our cat waking us up at 7 o'clock sharp every morning by jumping up in our our bed and right onto my bladder...

The fact that I am alive!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Puppy tummies.

Maryn, not even a dog person

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know about that. Sleeping as late as I want to is pretty sweet.

Maryn, so less grouchy

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When the headache goes away (literally, although figuratively works too).

Seafood!!!

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
The glow of the setting sun on the tree branches and leaves outside the window that my desk faces.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
This morning my coffee is giving me joy. I'm listening to great music (which always lifts my spirits) and working on a crochet project that is coming along nicely and reminds me how much I love to use my hands to create things.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Having a new recipe turn out perfectly.

Opening the curtains in the morning and seeing the sun gilding the street.

Jacarandas in bloom.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, yes! Jacarandas. Their sweet scent and the purple shadows they cast when they're in bloom and their ferny leaves all the time.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first red leaf in the green "wall" of trees winding through our neighborhood (probably a former farm's windbreak).

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
That's a thoughtful observation, which surprises us not at all. We know you.

Allow me to share something I don't talk about much any more. Mr. Maryn nearly died in the mid-90s. He had a cancer with a five percent survival rate. Our kids were young and we were not deeply rooted in the community or anything (still aren't), but I'd become friendly with the mom of two kids the ages of our kids. They invited the kids and me to dinner one night, and told me to bring a swimsuit and a barrette or something. After dinner, while they read to and played with the kids, I got a sacred half hour in their hot tub, under a roof but open, while it snowed and snowed. I'd had a glass of wine with dinner and was relaxed but not drunk. It was the closest I've ever felt to serenity, then or since.

Maryn, who has a Mr. Maryn, for the record

That's beautiful. And a great reminder (for me) of how much a simple favor or thoughtful act can be so unbelievably powerful and helpful. The same holds true for kind words.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Friday Night Sounds from the football stadium near my house. The announcer, I can plainly hear his amplified voice, and I can actually follow the game if I want to. But it's the band and the cheers and just the general vibe of a high school football game that brings back memories and brings me joy. Not a painless time, but the hope of that time, whether HSers are aware of it or not, in my middle age is a wondrous thing.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
When certain young relatives engage (ie talk) with me instead of being too busy.