Transendental Love Sonnet

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
I’m new to AW, and before I start asking for help or discussion on new work, I thought I’d share something I’ve written.

This will be 23 years old in a fortnight. It speaks of a long-distance relationship, and the theme is that knowing someone is done with the mind and communication in general. Transcendentalism refers to the way I learned it in The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail. There was a meta-level to this as well, since the boat ride on which he explained things (hand in the water, can you feel the bottom? But you know it's there) was itself acted out on an empty stage with minimal set such as a cardboard box for the boat.

I mention the age because the communication medium references in the first stanza are dated. Oh, and the third line is a reference to an earlier poem, Phosphor Dots, on similar themes but at the very beginning of a friendship.

    When I caress the keys with loving hands
I reach to you across the modem line.
The phosphor dots glow bright upon my screen;
I touch you with my words, not with my skin.
    You wrap your mind around my own and feel
The warmth and caring that two people share.
Affection goes beyond a real hug;
I reach you with my thoughts, not with my touch.
    The gap between us never stands between
Our sharing, caring, passion that we feel.
The two of us together yet apart;
I hold you in my mind, not in my arms.
    The bond that joins us has no breaking point.
I love you with my heart and all my soul.​

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Some of us, perhaps surprisingly in this day and age, are still stuck using a dialup modem.

Your poem speaks nicely to the very genuine relationships between people (and also in communities) that can happen via the internet.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This is probably going to get locked. You should have 50 posts here before submitted your work for discussion.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably going to get locked. You should have 50 posts here before submitted your work for discussion.

Sorry; I thought that referred specifically to the SYW forums. I'll remove the line about being happy to discuss it.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
Your poem speaks nicely to the very genuine relationships between people (and also in communities) that can happen via the internet.

I noticed the effect in a very wonderful community that predates public Internet. The simple ability to communicate (in a forum format) acts as a substrate, and community can grow on top of that.