Accelerated Reader Program Evaluation

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
My children's schools track reading progress and comprehension using the Accelerated Reader program. Books are given a grade level rating (from 0 to 13) and point score (based upon length). Kids are asked to read books within their AR range, then take tests to measure their comprehension.

In the classroom, each student is tested for grade level, then graded on their progress against an individual point score goal over the semester/year.

In these parts, few kids will read a book if it doesn't have an AR rating.

Has anyone navigated the process for getting their book evaluated in the AR system?

Here's the book finder site: http://www.arbookfind.com

Kevin

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the UK so things are probably different for me: but here, the various reader programmes that primary schools use are tied to specific publishers. So the books all use the same characters, and the storylines develop over time. The only way to get your books into those programmes are to write to order for the publisher, on a work for hire basis.

There is a publisher called Barrington Stoke which publishers books for reluctant readers. My youngest, who has dyslexia, read several of their books. Again, they're written to order, following strict guidelines.

I suspect the same might be true for the programmes you're following.

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds a bit different. The AR program is intended to foster free reading, outside of the formal curriculum.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That's what Barrington Stoke books are meant to do, too.

However, I'm not helping! Have you considered contacting the bookfinder site you linked to and asking their advice?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If your book is traditionally published, your publisher should be able to help with this. If not, you may well be out of luck, but going directly to the source can't hurt.