Any neurologists/neurosurgeons here?

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to anyone who happens to come by

So I have this character.

He has information which he should not be able to deliver either through speech or in writing. I prefer not to put him in a coma or kill him off.

If he gets a GSW to the head, and the bullet grazes the skull but does not penetrate, can the micro-fractures of the (parietal?) bone cause enough brain damage to lead to swelling of Wernicke's area?

His fluent aphasia will cause him comprehension issues and impact his verbal as well as writing skills, correct?

Will he be expected to have other signs of damage?

Prior to the trauma, he will be an incredibly articulate and well read man, holding a powerful position. Any idea what kind of rehab would have been available circa late 80s/early 90s?

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
As a physician...your secondary character should not be a physician. I'm assuming modern American medicine. We are over worked and don't have the time. Don't use an RN. Your best case scenario is an LPN or candy striper.

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
As a physician...your secondary character should not be a physician. I'm assuming modern American medicine. We are over worked and don't have the time. Don't use an RN. Your best case scenario is an LPN or candy striper.

I am confused. I shouldn't have asked this?:) Will delete if it is against the rules.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's a matter of...compartmentalizing?

MD's don't have the time.

RN's don't have the time.

I mean you could have a rare MD or RN who had the time but it would be the exception. The only people at this point who can afford to care are at the associate's level. That means a nursing assistant, a phlebotomist, best case scenario a physical therapist

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing there strikes me as particularly "wrong" per se. I've done neuroscience and brain imaging, so I know less about the medical aspects of it. Wernicke's is more in the temporal area, but could classify as temporoparietal. That bullet would have hit a very specific area to just cause localized damage to Wernicke's, how lucky! But for the purposes of a novel, it should work. I'm not sure about the kinds of rehab available. Wernicke's would cause profuse meaningless speech. The words and phrasing sound correct but have no logical content.