Forget italics, we need punctuation for thoughts

LucidCrux

Write like there's no tommorowe.
Registered
Reaction score
I know some portion of the population gets annoyed or has difficulty reading italics. I am one of those people. To look good and be halfway readable, they also need to be a different font--which sort of matters more now in the digital age, when people can change things on their ereader, phone, computer, whatever. Simply slanting a font often looks pretty garbage.

So why haven't novel writers gotten together and come up with punctuation for thoughts? Preferably, using a common symbol that is not usually used in writing. My current idea is the equal sign, but that might not be ideal. I don't know of another reason other than literal math to use it in text.

Pros:
Relatively non-obtrusive. Mostly universal due to math. Has a key on most keyboards (no alt+# junk). Middle position might suggest more inward connotation vs upper quotes or low line punctuation like period, comma.

Cons:
Some fonts could make it too similar to dashes or hyphens. (But we use colon/semi-colon and period/comma.) Similarly, certain vision issues might blur it together. (Not sure they'd be able to read at all in that case, though.) The simple fact it would be new to readers.

Well, that was just irresponsible, John thought. No one should be running around blindfolded in a rake factory.

vs

=Well, that was just irresponsible,= John thought. =No one should be running around blindfolded in a rake factory.=

or, less attractive

What a prick! "I'm sure he's nice."

vs

=What a prick!= "I'm sure he's nice."

This just kind of hit me the other day, and the more I think about it, the more it seems like people should have come up with something better a long time ago. I mean, when you get into a whole thought paragraph, italics are horrendous, while sometimes I don't even notice short bits. But it is wonderfully effective for character to get actual thoughts, even in the third person.

I am very seriously considering a strong push for this in my own book if I get a deal, so thoughts and rebuttals would be wonderful.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
~I, too, have had such thoughts,~ he thought.

You need to be the pathfinder -- try it, make a publisher buy your novel, and set the trend so that others may easily follow in your footsteps.

-Derek

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
No italics or fancy punctuation would be my vote.

Well, that was just irresponsible, John thought. No one should be running around blindfolded in a rake factory.

and

ETA: Bloody italicising quote function.

LucidCrux

Registered
Reaction score
~I, too, have had such thoughts,~ he thought.

Tilde was my first thought, then I figured it was even more likely to clash with dashes if a font doesn't emphasize the curves.

This would be nice, but sometimes it can be very hard to avoid reader confusion. Sort of like that weird trend some authors are following where they don't use quotation marks so that "it makes the reader pay attention." The more you use inner thoughts, the more likely a problem is to pop up. Forcing no punctuation or italics would limit an author's freedom, and only resorting to italics when it is really needed if it isn't used elsewhere just seems sloppy.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
This would be nice, but sometimes it can be very hard to avoid reader confusion. Sort of like that weird trend some authors are following where they don't use quotation marks so that "it makes the reader pay attention." The more you use inner thoughts, the more likely a problem is to pop up. Forcing no punctuation or italics would limit an author's freedom, and only resorting to italics when it is really needed if it isn't used elsewhere just seems sloppy.

If you have to come up with some alternative punctuation to offset the problem caused, then that is a limit to the "author's freedom". All it does is shift the punctuation from external speech to internal speech.

The simple solution, then, is to use speech marks to indicate speech. Also to trust the reader. Readers catch on quite quickly.

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net
I've seen this technique before in Sci-Fi novels where you get into the mind of an alien or advanced Artificial Intelligence. Nothing is stopping you from using it in your own works, just make sure the reader is told early what the punctuation means.

LucidCrux

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to make it, he thinks. Another bugger is sitting silent, ready to jump out from behind a tree, spread his claws, and rip me open, gut to throat. And why--a branch smacks him in the face--does it seem like you always end up running through a dark forest? He looks around, suddenly all the more aware of the fact he really is running through a dark forest now. Wonderful.

I'm not going to make it
, he thinks. Another bugger is sitting silent, ready to jump out from behind a tree, spread his claws, and rip me open, gut to throat. And why--a branch smacks him in the face--does it seem like you always end up running through a dark forest? He looks around, suddenly all the more aware of the fact he really is running through a dark forest now. Wonderful.

=I'm not going to make it,= he thinks. =Another bugger is sitting silent, ready to jump out from behind a tree, spread his claws, and rip me open, gut to throat. And why=--a branch smacks him in the face--=does it seem like you always end up running through a dark forest?= He looks around, suddenly all the more aware of the fact he really is running through a dark forest now. =Wonderful.=

I just wrote that on the fly, but I hope it serves the point. With either italics or a symbol there is an indication of what is coming instead of having to process something after the fact, when key words like "I" or "me" are given. Also, "wonderful" without anything is totally ambiguous. What if you have a sarcastic narrator and character or something?

How would adding a symbol to denote something limit author's freedom as opposed to having to reword something to remove ambiguity? Isn't that exactly what quotes do? And they are widely accepted. People would still be free to not use them (again just like quotes) but having a standard when needed would be nice, I think.

As for using quotes for internal dialogue, that is pretty commonly noted as a sure way to cause confusion.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I don't have italics for thoughts--you can have them in and write around them. Like you I despise how it looks/reads. Long sections in italics, I skip in books. Don't care how crucial it is, I can't cope with the eyedeath.*

Symbols I'd be wary of.

Too Like the Lightning uses a variety of symbols to convey different spoken languages and that's slightly confusing, having read through it.

*She says, having put in a couple long sections of italics... but they're wholly optional paragraphs, not plot crucial, and also I fully accept my hypocrisy.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would find symbols like = to be way more distracting and difficult to parse than italics. That said, it's not uncommon for there to be special symbols used to distinguish mind speech (telepathy) from spoken speech. so if you must use them to set off thoughts, try for something simpler, such as a single dash.

I would also note that much of what you've used as examples of thoughts really should just be part of the narrative. Just keep the tense consistent, rather than shifting them into present tense. Although in your case, you shifted everything into present tense, even though it started in past tense ("he thought").

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I would also note that much of what you've used as examples of thoughts really should just be part of the narrative. Just keep the tense consistent, rather than shifting them into present tense. Although in your case, you shifted everything into present tense, even though it started in past tense ("he thought").
This. Once you've established POV, you don't need italics or thought tags. The reader is in the character's head.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's my approach as well, Marlys. (Ha-ha, I started typing my own name.) If I'm doing POV correctly, all thought, memories, fears, observations, etc. are clearly those of the POV character and I don't need italics or "he thoughts" or anything else.

Maryn, who has many other weaknesses as a writer

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

This. Once you've established POV, you don't need italics or thought tags. The reader is in the character's head.

That's my approach as well, Marlys. (Ha-ha, I started typing my own name.) If I'm doing POV correctly, all thought, memories, fears, observations, etc. are clearly those of the POV character and I don't need italics or "he thoughts" or anything else.

Maryn, who has many other weaknesses as a writer

I agree whole-heartedly.

I'll flat-out tell you, as an avid reader I think the author who uses "he thought" or any other thought tag an amateur. I can't help it; I've seen POV done too well too many times not to think that.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net

and

ETA: Bloody italicising quote function.

Depending on your POV, the 'John thought' might not be necessary... if you're in the MC's head you can just leave it out.

Oh damn, I hate italics. He smiled. "Yeah sure, that looks nice."

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agree re earlier POV comments. If the POV and the narrative are clear, to me there's no need to specifically identify POV character thoughts at all.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I have a particular pet peeve (one of many!) for "I thought" in first person narrative. Who else was it going to be?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my novels involving American Sign Language, I use italics with hyphens in ASL's sometimes unique order to indicate this silent language:

Too-many-footprints, she signed. Sort-them-first-we-must.

My point is if your story is interesting and well-written, readers will learn whatever system you employ with consistency and restraint.

Mark HJ

Cat whisperer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markhuntleyjames.wordpress.com
I'll flat-out tell you, as an avid reader I think the author who uses "he thought" or any other thought tag an amateur. I can't help it; I've seen POV done too well too many times not to think that.

I like the italics - both for thoughts and emphasis - and loath "he thought" and it's ilk.

In the modern world of ebooks and web pages, perhaps the legibility issue ought to be tackled by the display, not the writer/publisher. So much of the basic advice on prepping for an ebook is to keep the formatting as minimal as possible and leave the ebook software to lay it out the way it chooses - pressure the tech manufacturers to give options on how to represent italics by changing font size or weight to suit the user.

(I am ignoring the fact that with age my eyesight is declining and italics getting harder to read...)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm okay with italics for the most part—even though my eyesight is declining, too—just don't tell me the character had a thought by using thought tags. Writer's Relief, which I just found by googling, deals with character thoughts in several ways. My personal preference is for the first example, but, as I said, I'm okay with italics.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have italics for thoughts--you can have them in and write around them. Like you I despise how it looks/reads. Long sections in italics, I skip in books. Don't care how crucial it is, I can't cope with the eyedeath.

Agreed, especially the bolded above. Short bits, I can tolerate, and I actually find them an effective way of communicating thought, in contrast to speech. But even these should be sparse.

One of the problems, to me, is that too many aspiring writers get wrapped up in the thought-world of their characters, and that alone bogs down narrative. If it shows up in long paragraphs of italics, it makes a bad moon rise in my reading experience.

caw

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I've had thoughts mingled with "active" speech when I've run into this situation, and italics makes the best separator from spoken quotation, according to readers of my work. During an extended telepathic conversation, I transitioned to regular quoting without any negative feedback from the readers. One reader even said that once he understood it was telepathic, he didn't notice the formatting.

Kind of a special situation, but that's my experience with it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being properly in the first person narrator's head does not always eliminate the need to identify internal monologue. I'm writing first person, past tense narration. I use present tense italicized thoughts the same way dialogue is present tense with past tense tags. I prefer italics to thought tags as I think it reads more smoothly.

In addition my narrator talks out loud to herself. I want the reader to know when she is thinking and when she is talking.

I listen to a lot of audio books when I'm driving. One cannot see italics in audio books. That can be a tad annoying with some books more than others. But it's never ruined a book for me.

If you look at style books like The Chicago Manual of Style, internal monologue is not noted as a proper use of italics. On the other hand, Janet Burroway, et al, in her style books, Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft (multiple editions), she does note italics is one way to identify internal monologue.

Given the debates I've seen over this issue, it seems to me italicizing thoughts is a changing convention where perhaps it was less acceptable when writers sent typed manuscripts to publishers with underlining used to indicate italics. But now that most of us write on word processors with fonts easily changed, italicizing thoughts is no problem.

Resistance to changing conventions might be the biggest problem here rather than difficulty reading italicized text. I learned to italicize internal monologue first and never gave it a second thought. I'm not going to say everyone who prefers tags is old school, or that no one has trouble reading italics, but I do wonder if the way one first learned to write internal monologue has the biggest influence on people's preference.

Trying to introduce yet another convention is not going to be happen with a forum consensus. As has been said, write it, hope it doesn't turn an agent or publisher off and maybe in a few decades it will catch on.

That said, I do dislike long paragraphs of italicized text which I've seen used when portraying silent communication between characters in fantasy works. I think writing ESP communication is ripe for a new convention to develop.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
If thirty is old school, I'm going to cry. And it will be your fault :p

I don't think I have learned to write; I am in the process of learning. I was near sighted from very young, though, and did find italics of any kind a pain. Perhaps, despite having had laser surgery in my twenties, that association still carries over.

I did specify long passages though. For example, I recently beta read a ms which had entire chapters in italics. Or people who insist on putting pages of flashbacks in italics. Just no, please. Also, prologues in italics--so much no.

For writing, to me, it would all be in italics or none, since everything expressed (except in distant or omni) is from within the char. Some people seem to have no trouble drawing a line between what thoughts are more direct and what are more abstract, but I can't seem to reliably pinpoint it.

relletyrots

The One Who Tells The Story
Registered
Reaction score
Blasphemy, thought Rell as he read the post. "Now heed my holy words."

Well, I might have gone overboard there, but I am going to be the devil's advocate here. Nothing too extreme, I hope.

I am using the Times New Roman font for this post, because it is relatively common, and has fine italicization for my taste.

Let me begin by expressing agreement with previous points:
- Yes, new writers tend to misuse and overuse italicized thoughts, I've seen that firsthand more than once.
- Yes, whole paragraphs of thought are abhorrent, making me want to give up on the tale.
- Yes, thoughts are frequently used when the matter is better suited for narration.
But thoughts are a useful tool, as I will demonstrate, and I fully support italicization.

Early Disclaimer: My arguments only refer to first-person and close-third POV.

Why do we need thoughts at all? The way I see it, thoughts bring the reader closer to the characters, unfiltered and unedited by the narrator. I see them as a pure literary tool, to create empathy and understanding. My favorite part about them, is that using the density and wording of thoughts sprinkled throughout the text, one can shift the tone greatly. For example, if the character is having a casual time, thoughts will be scarce and trivial. If there's some action piece, so fast that the character doesn't have time to think, then he/she literally won't. If the character is in a deep reflective state, such as brooding, then thoughts may appear more often. I find it really useful to shape the tone using thoughts.

Now, someone mentioned that "he thought" should be always omitted. I am someone who usually even omits "he said", opting for action or a more appropriate verb (though I do use "said" often enough). Similarly, "he thought" is unnecessary most of the time, but not always. For example:

Will he ever leave me alone? Phyl thought, though he did need friends, now more than ever. Connections were valuable, both emotionally and practically.

or

If they raised you, you might have become human, Mycha thought, but said nothing. He knew better than to start a fight with her.

Also, I find that I usually use it to separate parts of thought, and create better pacing, like so:

Maybe he’s right, Mycha thought. Maybe it doesn’t matter after all.

And sometimes, much like in speech, I use a better verb to describe the action (here I use the verb to split the thought, as well):

She knows when it's time to relent, Mycha figured. But more often, she knows when it's not.

All of the examples are taken from my WIP, and they were pretty scarce; I usually just italicize the thought. But they were there, and I don't think they represent misuse.

Now, to the main issue: why italicized? I do believe that my position is affected by habit, and the fact that I have no problem reading italics. But I also have some deeper reasons.

Thoughts are a distinct part from the narration, yet they are closer to it than speech. Much like the narration, they explore the inner world, but more directly. Therefore, I find it hard to use punctuation. I don't want to bring the reader the character's thoughts, I want him/her to be immersed in them. I want them to flow naturally with the narration, but not be completely separate, and not draw too much attention to them. I think italics do it best.

I may have presented my case with fervor, but ultimately, do what works best for you. If the storytelling is solid, people will follow. Just try not to make it too cumbersome.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
"thought" is perfectly adequate as a tag, as "said" is, on occasion (all things in moderation, as IR and others have said.)

It's also useful for recalling and reminising, especially recent events. And other things I'm sure.

It's not like I burn books with italicised thoughts--just a preference to not have them, and I do think you can make do without, if you wish. Not everyone does wish. I don't think they guarantee interiority, though; I've seen them used to offer up utterly banal internal dialogue.