Traversing fantasy subgenres?

Ms.Pencila

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying not to worry much about genre as I write my fantasy trilogy, but I've always found the concept of subgenres interesting, and a question occurred to me:

Does it make sense for the different parts of a trilogy to belong to different subgenres, or for a story to evolve from one subgenre to another over the course of the trilogy?

Obviously some mixes are more compatible than others- a change from grimdark to Bangsian would probably be quite disorienting, but sliding between medieval, heroic, sword & sorcery and more wouldn't necessarily cause any roughness. But what about less obvious transformations?

For example, how perilous would you consider transitioning from low fantasy (no magic or fantastic creatures, and focused on characters' smaller journies/quests rather than a grand save-the-world plot) to something more like traditional high fantasy?(it turns out the world does need saving, and while things don't turn magical all of a sudden, the world gets "bigger" as more of it is revealed as part of the more expansive plot). This looks like where my WIP is headed, but I'd appreciate hearing some real examples if this is actually a thing.

Or does this sound like poor planning for a trilogy, which instead likely requires more unity and common elements interwoven throughout?

Last edited:

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but if you hint at the later high fantasy in the earlier low fantasy books, you might be alright.

Think of it this way: some people like low fantasy but not high fantasy, and vice versa. How do you think they would feel if they started reading one of these subgenres, but ended up with the other?

Ms.Pencila

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Sounds good to keep in mind- hopefully I will at least be able to lure the low fantasy lovers into liking the larger story with their loyalty to the characters- (as I'd hate for me as the author to come across as even more treacherous than any of my villains ;-).

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're just growing in scale rather than changing genre, and that's quite common--especially for heroic fantasy as they turn from character surviving, becoming hero, then saving world book by book.