BookBub Promotion Success?

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hello! I am under review currently for my first BookBub promotion. It's a hefty chunk of change, though I realize the rewards are generally promising.

I wanted to know if anyone here has experience promoting with BookBub.

What did you pay for your add?
How many books did you sell and at what price point?
If you are comfortable sharing, how much did you make back on your investment?
Did you profit at all from this, break even, or lose money?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
There are a few Bookbub threads already, but I'd be surprised if you didn't at least recover your cost.

I have one scheduled for tomorrow (international only) and will post back here after it runs its course.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Just as an FYI, Bookbub now has a cost-per-click advertising service. I'm playing around with it.
My impressions of it (and others that I've read) is that you need deep pockets. I decided to pass, largely because it's a CPM system and not CPC.

Their newsletter "featured deal" promotions, on the other hand, are still awesome.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
My impressions of it (and others that I've read) is that you need deep pockets. I decided to pass, largely because it's a CPM system and not CPC.

Their newsletter "featured deal" promotions, on the other hand, are still awesome.

Yes, but there is now an option for CPC. It's new. My effective CPC rate under the CPM system was about a dollar per click (obscene) and it is about 30 cents per click under the CPC option. Still ridiculous but slightly more palatable.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but there is now an option for CPC. It's new. My effective CPC rate under the CPM system was about a dollar per click (obscene) and it is about 30 cents per click under the CPC option. Still ridiculous but slightly more palatable.

Where is it? I just went into my Bookbub account and I still only have the bid on impressions option.

As for the OP, I had an international-only in a small category in January. I think I paid $50 and had 250 sales at 99 cents but I was also running FB, AMS, and Bookbub click ads. I do recall thinking that the ad had paid for itself within 36 hours since the click ads were focused on the U.S. market. (It took until the day after the promo for my Australian sales to register on the non-Amazon sites.)

I have another international-only in about a week but in a larger category. That will cost $174 and is expected to generate 750 or so sales according to their estimates.

From what I've seen people say, probably 95% of the Bookbub newsletter promos are profitable. The challenge is getting one. Being wide instead of in KU and pricing higher are two ways to boost your chances. Also being willing to accept an international-only deal helps, too.

In terms of the click ads, I've been pleased with the ones I've run but I rarely have my books at free or 99 cents so I don't run them often. I think I did try them on a full-priced book and had no real results. (But it was a strategy to get awareness of the book while it was at full-price and before a price promo.)

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Where is it? I just went into my Bookbub account and I still only have the bid on impressions option.

As for the OP, I had an international-only in a small category in January. I think I paid $50 and had 250 sales at 99 cents but I was also running FB, AMS, and Bookbub click ads. I do recall thinking that the ad had paid for itself within 36 hours since the click ads were focused on the U.S. market. (It took until the day after the promo for my Australian sales to register on the non-Amazon sites.)

I have another international-only in about a week but in a larger category. That will cost $174 and is expected to generate 750 or so sales according to their estimates.

From what I've seen people say, probably 95% of the Bookbub newsletter promos are profitable. The challenge is getting one. Being wide instead of in KU and pricing higher are two ways to boost your chances. Also being willing to accept an international-only deal helps, too.

In terms of the click ads, I've been pleased with the ones I've run but I rarely have my books at free or 99 cents so I don't run them often. I think I did try them on a full-priced book and had no real results. (But it was a strategy to get awareness of the book while it was at full-price and before a price promo.)

I believe it's beta at this point and it may not rolled out to everyone. I accepted an invitation from them to participate, and then got the option. I completed a survey after the prior ad campaign, indicating that I would like to see a CPC option.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I believe it's beta at this point and it may not rolled out to everyone. I accepted an invitation from them to participate, and then got the option. I completed a survey after the prior ad campaign, indicating that I would like to see a CPC option.

Ah, okay, thanks. That would be a good option to have and my definite preference.