Un-released book already on back-order

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
According to my publisher, Permuted Press, who is distributed by Simon & Schuster, my omnibus edition trilogy, which comes out this Tuesday, is already on back-order, meaning they had to order more books for places where I have book signings. My question: How can you have books on back-order when they aren't even available yet? Does this mean bookstores ordered more copies than Permuted Press/Simon & Schuster printed, and if so, is that a good thing? This is my first book to be marketed and released in brick & mortar stores, so I'm sort of a newbie at this. Thanks.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but my sense is that this is a good thing, not a bad thing, for more orders to be made. Expectations must be higher than first anticipated at the signings.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It almost certainly means more books have been ordered by bookshops than printed.

Assuming a good proportion of those books sell through, and get into the hands of readers, this is a good thing. A very good thing, in fact, because it means your book will have exceeded your publisher's expectations for it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My question: How can you have books on back-order when they aren't even available yet? Does this mean bookstores ordered more copies than Permuted Press/Simon & Schuster printed, and if so, is that a good thing?

That's exactly what it means. Book sales start way before the presses start running, otherwise books would sit in the warehouse for six months before anyone ordered them. Warehouse space is a cost nobody wants to expend.

As for being a good thing, oh heck no. It's a very bad thing. What you really want is a book that barely sells in pre-order and never goes into back order. You want the books to be dumped as remainders on the bargain tables at your local book stores, that way you never have to worry about earning more than your advance or ever having to write again. No writer ever wants to be successful, who ever heard of such a thing?

Jeff