Barnes and Nobles getting out of the Nook business

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Well now, this is interesting.

Note that the article doesn't say the Nook's going away. Just that B&N is pulling out. Odds are good one of the other services could make an offer on Nook and pick it up. (The article suggests Kobo might be tempted to do so.)

The writing's been on the wall for this for a few years now. Gonna cause some possible trouble for folks who are wide, I think.

I wouldn't be sad to see Kobo pick it up, and try to actually do something with it. Kobo's had a problem establishing a presence in the US, and this could be an entry vector if they revised it and took it seriously.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
They still sell the Glowlight (which is an excellent e-reader) and the Nook Tablet 7" which my husband has and likes a lot, in addition to the Samsung devices. I'm tempted to grab another Glowlight for when my current one dies of old age.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I read ebooks a lot when I'm traveling, even if it's just to spend a weekend with my sweetie. I'd never use a proprietary special-purpose product like a Nook or Kindle. Instead I switch between my iPad mini and my Samsung Note 4 smartphone (vastly superior to the later Notes despite them supposedly being "latest and greatest").

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Could someone explain the practicalities of this? Will my Nook library be wiped out? :scared:

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I remember hearing something about that possibility when ebooks were first catching on, but don't remember the whys of it.

Perhaps. But ebooks (as a sales channel) is here to stay. B&N getting out of the hardware biz doesn't have to mean no longer serving (and selling) ebooks.