Jack White

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Lately, I cannot get enough of Jack White and his various musical projects. I loved the White Stripes, and I got to see them live several years ago. I saw him with the Raconteurs, unfortunately never saw The Dead Weather. I hear he has a new album coming out, and I can't wait. I would love to see him as a solo artist. Blunderbuss was my favorite so far. Is anybody else a fan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInSN2_d6hc

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
of course i'm a fan of a musician from my area. Seven Nation Army is still awesome!

Vicent

Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion his best work's been I'm shakin'. Though I gotta admit I'm partial because I like the style of the video and am a sucker for the wardrobe they chose to use for that video.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Jack White is one of those interesting cases of a co-writer of a few great, almost monumental songs for their genres, but the rest of his work kinda falls soft. He's a lead singer for many "hits" but aside from that, I don't think he's super special while solo. He generally carries on the blues-rock formula without much deviation which ends up making things a bit boring after a while, and I find he lacks emotional punch to really drive home many of his songs. His work in The White Stripes is a mixed bag. I think White Blood Cells and Elephant are amazing pieces with great power, but outside of them there's great hits to collect. The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather too had some great hits.

In my opinion his best work's been I'm shakin'.

I'm Shakin' is a cover, btw. Original writer was Rudy Toombs, covered and made a hit by Little Willie John, and Jack White and Willie Moon have covered it recently. I honestly don't think he does the song great justice because it lacks a true swing.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think he's pretty much been a solo artist this whole time.

He's noted as being the only song writer for his own solo works (aside from covers) and on The White Stripes, but Meg White's drumming style plasters every song and makes songs like Seven Nation Army and Icky Thump the hits they are. The Raconteurs were a co-project with Benson, and in the Dead Weather he wasn't even the lead writer or the lead singer.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
He's noted as being the only song writer for his own solo works (aside from covers) and on The White Stripes, but Meg White's drumming style plasters every song and makes songs like Seven Nation Army and Icky Thump the hits they are. The Raconteurs were a co-project with Benson, and in the Dead Weather he wasn't even the lead writer or the lead singer.

Yes, I know all of that. I'm a fan.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
He makes intricate music and is quirky, I like hearing his stuff. He can also be very vibrant on stage and nice to watch. Erm... Would anybody point me to a festival footage on youtube (oh, well, just the name of the show, I'll search for the vid) where he performs just as a vocalist? From couple of years ago perhaps (not White Stripes, maybe Raconteurs. Somehow I'm thinking he was billed just as Jack White + band!) I've watched something on tv once, and thought it would be easy to find, then forgot what the event was! Something in the open air, big stage. All the festival footage I find is where he plays the guitar as well, and what I'm looking for was him just singing hands free.
Here's a dancing bear in return:
:e2bear:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a fan since https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goober_&_the_Peas. They played on my college campus a few times, and one of my friends became pen pals of sorts with John Gillis (his real name, which he used then). One weekend, three of us drove up to Michigan to visit him.

How cool! He seems like a very interesting person. Gillis is...his "maiden name"? I guess you could say? White is his married name.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I love the Flaming Lips, and I found this song they wrote about him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cyQsYz_jY

It's called Thank You, Jack White, For The Fiber Optic Jesus That You Gave Me. I thought it was funny. I had never really thought about how other bands perceived them at the time, but they must have thought they seemed odd, and not like a normal brother and sister.

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
I had never really thought about how other bands perceived them at the time, but they must have thought they seemed odd, and not like a normal brother and sister.
Are you referring to Jack and Meg White? They're not siblings. They were married for a time, and Jack took her last name.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Are you referring to Jack and Meg White? They're not siblings. They were married for a time, and Jack took her last name.

Yes, I know. I mentioned that about Jack's "maiden name," above. But at the time, they told everyone that they were siblings. A friend of mine saw them back in 2000, and he said they were doing it, even then.

What I was saying was, when they told people, like the Flaming Lips, that they were brother and sister, it must have confused people, because they must not have acted like brother and sister, most of the time.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably a bigger White Stripes fan than solo Jack fan. I did really enjoy his recent solo album Lazaretto.

I love the fact that he's really into his guitar. Like, serious picking and serious love for the blues. Good guitars have been lost on modern rock for the most part so I appreciate that.
https://youtu.be/gXMIJpbMs4Q (Ball and Biscuit)