Lara Croft, Alicia Vikander

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
So I saw this trailer for the Lara Croft reboot.

I'm excited. She LOOKS like the new Lara Croft, and the small amount of film in this trailer looks like "her" as well. Too soon, I think, for deep analysis. But this video of her setup to become Lara Croft just adds to my excitement.

I'm a little bit sad, though. I thought Angelina Jolie did a great job. The movies weren't great, but her as Lara was well beyond what I expected when they cast her. I wish the movies could have done more with Lara.

I also wish there'd be a small homage to Angelina Jolie. Even if it's just a Stan Lee-style cameo.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My reaction was "meh."

See one hero's journey, CGI-choked, bad-ass beating up guys twice her size and not so much as breaking a sweat with incredible hand-to-hand, gun and knife skills, but no personality and certainly no sexuality movie, and you've seen 'em all.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
My reaction was "meh."

See one hero's journey, CGI-choked, bad-ass beating up guys twice her size and not so much as breaking a sweat with incredible hand-to-hand, gun and knife skills, but no personality and certainly no sexuality movie, and you've seen 'em all.

Wut? Nighttimer, please. Put a sarcasm emoticon on here or I'm going to think you're serious. I mean, you're free to feel this way, of course, but how do you know there's no personality, and what do you mean by no sexuality? (If you're serious, that is.) How is that a marker for women characters? (If you're serious. I don't think you can be. No. You can't be.):gone:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I actually went to see both of the Angelina Jolie movies in the theater (back when I still had some disposable income). I don't remember being especially hyped about either of them, but they were enjoyable as entertainment.

This one looks a little better than that. Vikander looks like a real person - even with the ridiculous amount of muscles in her back/shoulders. She's smart (see: puzzle solving), and resourceful (see: uses climbing pick instead of her fists). Maybe she doesn't have her boobs hanging out, but sexy is definitely a spectrum and she covers part of it.

Also, Asian romantic lead.

I'm not running around screaming with excitement, but this has ticked enough boxes to make me keep an eye on it.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Jolie will ALWAYS be Croft....but then again....this new Croft has my attention. I'll most likely go see this new Croft. I just hope they have a good soundtrack like they did in the FIRST Croft movie....

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Trailer reminds me a lot of the last two games, which I loved. I'll give this a try.

From what I understand, that's deliberate.

I think the rebooted Lara Croft is a more real character than before, and the makers of this reboot movie are following that.

I'm sad to see Angelina Jolie not get another Tommb Raider movie. But I agree that the new games have been great. And Alicia Vikander looks right for the part so far.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I liked that it looks like they've borrowed heavily from the first rebooted Tomb Raider game. I liked that one, and several scenes in the trailer are straight from the game.

But, I didn't like the very obvious CGI, where they're trying a bit too hard to make her do things from the game. Following the story is fine, because I liked the story from the first reboot game, but trying to recreated the move "video gamey" aspects is dumb. It'd be better if they concentrated on making a compelling movie, not on trying to do a scene-for-scene remake of powers/skills Lara has in the video game. Assassin's Creed suffered from the same problem and Zak Snyder tried to do the same type of thing with Watchmen (even though it was a graphic novel rather than a game) and that movie suffered greatly for it.

I'll still go see it but I'm a bit skeptical.

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, going by the look of her and just the general setting, they seem to be borrowing heavily from the first game. But then there's that scene with the guns, the apparent cool-factor they're aiming for: Laura with two guns, wink wink.

And that's the Laura of old, not the new Laura. Which is fine, but the trailer made it seem like a generic action adventure film, rather than an unique survival action adventure film I thought it should've been. Well that classification probably made no sense ..

I predict 45% rotten tomatoes. For a video game film that's quite outstanding and worth a look.

Twice in that trailer Laura makes incredibly long jumps. Once into the ocean, and the second from the wing of a plane. The first one didn't even have to be that bloody far; she's just jumping into the ocean. To me that screams of sloppy directing, or editing, whatever.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Twice in that trailer Laura makes incredibly long jumps. Once into the ocean, and the second from the wing of a plane. The first one didn't even have to be that bloody far; she's just jumping into the ocean. To me that screams of sloppy directing, or editing, whatever.

I don't think the jumps are realistic, either.

However, I've seen people sucked under by a boat they jumped from as it sank. One does not, generally, survive a sinking craft by lifting legs over the railing and sliding off.

Actually, wasn't Lara sucked under by the boat in the first reboot game? That would be far more dramatic, though perhaps too hard to safely portray, even with CGI.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
But then there's that scene with the guns, the apparent cool-factor they're aiming for: Laura with two guns, wink wink.

Most likely, that's the closing shot of the film. Look at the way she's styled in that bit, vs. the way she looks throughout the rest of the trailer. Her hair's got the iconic long braid, rather than the hasty ponytail. The "I'll take two" line is probably the hopeful launch of a series of films, signalling that innocent Lara Croft has now set herself on the path to becoming the Tomb Raider.

(Logically, it would have to be, considering she'll be shipwrecked for much of the film, so unable to arm herself appropriately.)

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I couldn't get excited because Vikander is terribly skinny & doesn't seem to me to be able to do all those athletic things. Maybe if near the beginning we see her jogging or playing tennis to offset the look.

Still, she is a very convincing actor & probably can pull it off. I'll rent the video for $2 eventually and see it in my home theater rather than bothering to go to the public theater.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
The trailer looks like they're leaning heavily into the new games (Shipwreck, Trinity), which makes me happy.

I love both of those games, and I've played through them many times. My only hesitation is that Alicia Vikander is so tiny. Not just thin, but short and delicate-looking. She doesn't scream Lara to me.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the trailer. I hope there isn't a ton of CGI. I liked the feel of survival/puzzle-solving it showed.

Vicent

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not terribly thrilled. On the one hand films based on videogames have always been mediocre to terribad. On the other hand, the Tomb raider movie was pretty bad back then, so they are unlikely to greenlit anything that looks better than THAT, and in my opinion Alicia Vikander is a pretty solid actor, so I have a modicum of hope but my two cents are that it won't be close to memorable.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Vikander is small, but the muscles she's sporting in the poster are not all Photoshop. (If you look at the shot of her on the boat as she's running for the door, lady has some serious definition in her back.) Lighter frames can be an advantage for certain things, if you can compensate for the shorter reach.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wut? Nighttimer, please. Put a sarcasm emoticon on here or I'm going to think you're serious. I mean, you're free to feel this way, of course, but how do you know there's no personality, and what do you mean by no sexuality? (If you're serious, that is.) How is that a marker for women characters? (If you're serious. I don't think you can be. No. You can't be.):gone:

I think you're overreacting a tad, but if it you're wondering if I was serious, I'll expand on my previous post. :rolleyes

I seriously did not like the new Tomb Raider trailer. :rolleyes

Better? :rolleyes

I couldn't get excited because Vikander is terribly skinny & doesn't seem to me to be able to do all those athletic things.

What Laer Carroll said.

The last major film to feature a leading lady who was said to be "too skinny" to be convincing in the role was Gal Gadot and we know what a total bomb Wonder Woman turned out to be, right?

Oh, wait...:e2tomato: