Needing help with a children's subplot

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
This would be only one chapter of the story, and I am appealing to you those accustomed to write for children, because you might come with better ideas...
I am trying to figure up a couple of adventures (Western, early 1800s, think Little House of the Prairie or so) for a few children to become friends afterwards (even if they didn;t like each other before). Age: 10-12, 3 boys 2 girls who are at school in the same class, in a rural school. Is anyone who has read such stories a few years more recently than me, to give me an idea? Maybe enemies to friends, maybe not quite enemies first but still...

I am nearly 50, and it is a long time since I was a child/ I saw children's movies, so....I need a few basic ideas to spark further mine. Thank you in advance!

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't help with your direct question as I don't know any books like that, but if I may make another suggestion, you might try going to redbox or netflix and watching popular movies with main characters who are in that age range. The story element is often fairly similar, and if you're just looking for inspiration (rather that specific book examples of things) that may be very helpful.

Good luck!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest going to your local library and asking the children's librarian for historical fiction published in the last 5 years. It's important to be as well read in your genre as possible, and writers get to read and call it research. We're lucky. :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
In a small rural school 5 children that age might be most of their age group, and therefore of great interest to each other. If some of those children are new in town (siblings?) there might be a natural wariness on both sides. However, it would break down as they got to know each other. If it's only meant to be a chapter, no sense letting them start as 'enemies', although there could be some misunderstandings, etc.
Seconding the 'look for similar books published recently' as most of what I know is old stuff - 'Little House', 'Caddie Woodlawn', 'All of a Kind Family' etc.

Singcali

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand how one chapter could be a subplot.
What is your main story line?
If it is a children's book, is there a lesson to be learned?
Once you decide that, think about a subplot that might support that lesson but in a slightly different way.

Good luck.

Caroline

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you haven't familiarized yourself with the setting and the age bracket and what's been published lately, I'd suggest starting there: do some nonfiction research on frontier life and frontier childhood (not just books like Avi's The Secret School or Wilder's Little House on the Prairie, but books like Pioneer Girl, that explored the real-life events that were altered for the Little House series), and some general children's book reading - maybe ask at your library for recommendations of recent popular titles. Those should help spark ideas for what the kids' lives would be like and how they might bond. (Don't think you can stint on research because it's "just for kids." Having a nice grounding in the time period and place you're writing about, even if you sand the edges down, will only help you in the long run.)

I, too, am a little unsure of how you mean to cram "a couple of adventures" into one chapter, especially in a children's book, and how that chapter alone would constitute a "subplot." Again, doing some reading may help you figure out your story structure even as you reconnect with the spirit of childhood.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Frimble3, I agree with you and this is exactly my starting point.

Brightdreamer, I have read non fiction and historical fiction books about how life on the American frontier was. Otherwise I couldn't write any of my books. But they don't include much about children, which are the focus of 1-2 chapters.

I'm sorry, I can't help with your direct question as I don't know any books like that, but if I may make another suggestion, you might try going to redbox or netflix and watching popular movies with main characters who are in that age range. The story element is often fairly similar, and if you're just looking for inspiration (rather that specific book examples of things) that may be very helpful.

Good luck!

Thank you very much. I don't know what is redbox and I have heard about netflix, which is a thing which doesn't happen in my country. What movies are you suggesting? Because I might find them on youtube or something.

I don't understand how one chapter could be a subplot.
What is your main story line?
If it is a children's book, is there a lesson to be learned?
Once you decide that, think about a subplot that might support that lesson but in a slightly different way.

Caroline, why does it need to be in a different way? What is wrong with it?

And no, the book in itself is NOT a children's book, it is young adult/ western/ adventure. The children becoming friends after an initial... adversity is just a first step to their bonding together, which prolongs into teens and adulthood. And two of these children will get married later in the story.

It is the third volume of a family saga, spreading from Jacobine Italian republics of 1790s and the rise of Napoleon (the first volume, which title can be translated into English as "Bloodied lands" - bloodied by wars, of course, and the cover has a painting of the battle of Novi, which is important in the story) to emigration to the US following the disappointment of the French revolution turned into Napoleon's dictatorship (second volume, translated as "The New World", where my characters are going West, settling near St. Louis, but on the Illinois side, the village founded by Venetians being called Venice and it really exists, now a part of Greater ST. Louis, withnessing Louisiana Purchase and the development of the village with its families and the adjacent St Louis incidentally), the first two volumes having been published already under the book title "Lives in turmoil". The third volume I am writing now, which will be titled "Other turmoils of life", deals mostly with the next generation, the Venetians' children born there, how they grow at their turn. (So this is why they are children only for 1-2 chapters, and yes, these chapters can be a subplot or two). The War of 1812, New Madrid earthquake and various other aspects will be caught, ending about 1830, the Cherokee Trail of Tears being somehow reflected indirectly.

For all those who are sending me to read new children's books
- thank you, I am not interested in reading these, as my novels aren't meant for this age group, even if some chapters have the main characters' children as protagonists. I am reading Westerns, both new and old, and historical fiction, but some choices are limited in a country which is not English speaking and where Amazon doesn't deliver. So Project Gutenberg books and others I can find online are my bread and butter....

And why would you want me to read RECENT books, when the older ones are more focused on the period I am interested in?

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
For all those who are sending me to read new children's books - thank you, I am not interested in reading these, as my novels aren't meant for this age group, even if some chapters have the main characters' children as protagonists. I am reading Westerns, both new and old, and historical fiction, but some choices are limited in a country which is not English speaking and where Amazon doesn't deliver. So Project Gutenberg books and others I can find online are my bread and butter....

And why would you want me to read RECENT books, when the older ones are more focused on the period I am interested in?

For the first - well, you did post in the "Writing For Kids" subforum, and asked about children... I think most people assumed the book itself was for kids, since this subforum is focused on, well, writing for kids.

As for why you would want to read recent books - we meant "recently published," not necessarily "set in recent times." Unless you intend to time travel, you'll have better luck publishing and appealing to audiences NOW if you know what's being published NOW and read NOW.

Anyway, good luck!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
And no, the book in itself is NOT a children's book, it is young adult/ western/ adventure.

Hi Elenitsa, since you've said your book is a young adult book, I've moved this over to the Young Adult section where you might get answers better suited to your genre.

Last edited:

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Elenitsa, since you've said your book is a young adult book, I've moved this over to the Young Adult section where you might get answers better suited to your genre.

Nooo, I would like you to keep it to children's section, because this specific subplot is dealing with children's adventures. 10-12 years old. If I have other questions, I will ask them into young adult or historical fiction/ western sections, but this question relates to adventures which could make 10-12 years' olds become friends after not having liked each other, and only someone closer to writing and understanding children can help me.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think you've been given the best advice already: read and watch what's out there that is similar to what you are looking for. The most I can advise you is to don't be so quick to dismiss your own abilities in looking back on your time as a child and mining that. We aren't magical creatures over here in this section, we just go back and remember what it was like to be a kid, we empathize with our young selves. So think back. 10 - 12 is grade 5 - 7. Can you think who you were friends with then? What school you went to? Who your teacher was? When you start thinking about that you start to then remember the feelings you had then, the school politics, what made you happy, what made you scared. The more you dig the more you remember the feeling of being that age. How it didn't feel all that different to how you are now because back then you were the oldest you've ever been just like you are now. You weren't a "kid" you were you. It's a really fascinating process and I highly recommend it.

Asking us to come up with a rather important moment in your book just doesn't make sense, honestly. We don't know your characters, we don't know your themes in your story (generally these kinds of childhood bringing kids together moments in books usually resonate thematically through the story - have you ever read the Neapolitan Novels? There's an event right at the beginning when the characters are around 6 that involves their dolls and it's so specific and affects their friendship in a very specific way and it is constantly called back to both literally and thematically throughout the four novels of them growing up together to their 60s). Not all kids would have the same experience even doing the same thing because, just like adults, kids have varied personalities and drives. Some are fearful, some are brave, some are quiet, some are loud, some break the rules, others don't etc etc and so forth. I think you should read some of the suggested readings above, think about your own childhood, and talk with some folks over at historical about some of the kinds of things kids did for fun back then. That would be my best advice honestly.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I think the first thing is to write individual children, real true-to-life people. If you don't remember much of childhood, go to places where there are children and watch and listen. Take notes. Try not to appear too creepy while you do this.

Once you know who your kids are, set them in the classroom and see what happens. Your request is very broad. Adventures can range from on nearly drowning to seeing who can skip stones the best.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if one of these kids is hated by another, they are stuck together and will be for the duration of school. One room schoolhouses were like that. They will have learned to get along no matter what.

Financial matters also come into play. If it's a farming community, older boys will miss days of harvest and planting if school would even be in session then. See if you can find the old TV show "Christy." Read everything you can from the era you're concerned with. Stuff with kids mentioned is out there, you just need to find it.

Good luck.