Some forum questions....

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
I know I could probably search the answers out on my own, but this is easier :).

1. Can someone please explain the "reputation" star button. I think I get it, but I'm not sure. Is that like a "like?" and can I just click it if I like a post? Or do I have to continue with the dialog box?

2. How can I check my own reputation stats, and how do I know if they're good - or bad? I noticed somewhere that I'm accumulating points, but don't know what they mean.

3. If I become a paid member can I custom tailor the forum? I'm interested in the writing and publishing sections of this forum, but notice that there's a lot going on here that I'm really not interested in. On another forum I belong to I have the option to only see what I want to see, and weed out the rest.

4. If I become a paying member, does that give me any boosted status regarding posts? I have questions I'd really like to ask, but need 50 posts to do so. I know I'm just a few posts away, but I don't like responding to threads insincerely, and don't have a whole lot to contribute - with integrity :).

I had a few more, but they're slipping my mind right now. I'll hold off and add if/when I remember - and increase my post count!!!!

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You want the Absolute Write FAQs

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Reputation Points

AW Voluntary Subscriptions

Bookmark the areas you're interested in; the software doesn't support the kind of customization you're asking for.

If you're interested in reaching 50 posts so you can start your own thread in Share Your Work, post some crits there first. It gives you an idea of what it's like to be critted, and an appreciation for the people who are generously critting for others.

Generally speaking, people who rush to crit aren't ready to be critted.

I'd respond to your other questions but the day job calls.

Last edited:

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. But I'm not sure I understand the meaning of this?

Generally speaking, people who rush to crit aren't ready to be critted.

Could anyone elaborate a little?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

What seems to happen is that writers who submit for critique here before they've participated in the forums for very long (and especially in the Share Your Work areas) don't get out of the experience what they had anticipated.

So, the suggestion is to spend some time in the area that you'll be posting your own work. Read some entries and the responses they get. Add your own opinions and advice where you are so inclined. After a little investment in the process, those new to AW have a tendency to better understand and appreciate what is expected and what goes into the work of critique. And that's very helpful when receiving commentary on your own work.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
simply put ... While you may not actually be in over your head if you quickly post your work in SWY after you get to 50 posts (not a difficult or lengthy task), you'll find people more willing to spend time to critique your stuff if you show interest in what the community is doing by offering your thoughts on their stuff.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
One of the best ways to improve your own writing / editing is to wade into the crit forum and participate. The 50 post threshold encourages this. Even if you don't consider yourself a skilled editor, you're still a reader with valid opinions on what you've read. You can offer those opinions sincerely.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know I could probably search the answers out on my own, but this is easier :).

1. Can someone please explain the "reputation" star button. I think I get it, but I'm not sure. Is that like a "like?" and can I just click it if I like a post? Yes Or do I have to continue with the dialog box?

No, but you can. Many members use reps to send quick messages or comments to each other.

2. How can I check my own reputation stats, and how do I know if they're good - or bad? I noticed somewhere that I'm accumulating points, but don't know what they mean.

3. If I become a paid member can I custom tailor the forum? I'm interested in the writing and publishing sections of this forum, but notice that there's a lot going on here that I'm really not interested in. On another forum I belong to I have the option to only see what I want to see, and weed out the rest.

4. If I become a paying member, does that give me any boosted status regarding posts? I have questions I'd really like to ask, but need 50 posts to do so. I know I'm just a few posts away, but I don't like responding to threads insincerely, and don't have a whole lot to contribute - with integrity :).

I had a few more, but they're slipping my mind right now. I'll hold off and add if/when I remember - and increase my post count!!!!

The reason, as I understand it, for the 50-post rule (I'm not a mod so may be wrong), is twofold: to prevent people from doing drive-bys, just coming in and getting critiques from members without giving anything back to the community. People tend to spend time and many provide thoughtful, in-depth crits; it'd burn people out, among other things, if people could just come in, get pages of crits, and bail. As well, even with the rule, people rack up 50 posts, put stuff up, and get variously upset, depressed, defensive, confrontational, etc., if the crits aren't what they were expecting or hoping for. A lot of people have only showed their work to friends or family, who usually are more cheerleaders than anything.

Someone who comes here expecting the same type of response, or to be told there might be a little error but it's great (which does happen sometimes -- we're not out to be critical for criticism's sake), who gets a different one without experience or understanding of how that IS people trying to really help them.. it's not helpful to anyone.

It's much more productive to spend some time around the SYW forums especially, reading threads, critiquing some stuff yourself, which helps you see mistakes you might not in your own work, and how people critique, and gets you involved in the community. You can also start discerning different posters. You'll get a bunch of crits, some of which contradict each other. That's not to say any are wrong, but the more you hang around, the more you'll notice whose opinions, style, etc., you tend to agree with.