Working with an agent that could be close to retirement?

gbhike

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on these forums. Hopefully I'm doing it right.

I am querying an agent that is in their 60s. I know that because Google shows their birthday when you simply Google their name.

I really like this agent, and I figure I probably don't stand any chance with them. But on the astronomical chance that I *do* get to work with them, is age a factor I should consider in whether this is a long-term business relationship or not?

I certainly don't mean to speculate or judge or anything, for all I know they might work another 20 years in the business. But it is something that is on my mind and I figured I would toss it out for discussion here.

Thanks.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can tell you what factors you should use in your personal decision-making but... as you note, the agent could easily work another 10, 20 years. A 30-year-old agent could could leave their agency for another, or to strike out on their own, or could decide agenting sucks and law school is the answer. Could be true for the 60-year-old too. Either one could step outside of his or her office and be attacked by a rabid squirrel.

If the agent did retire, presumably the agent works at an agency that'd be the first line to take over the clients, or he or she could recommend other agents who might be interested. If that agent has been a respected agent for a long time, probably has a lot of friends. Someone planning to retire soon is probably not seeking new clients, and most people I know in publishing don't retire at 65. I can't actually think of any who have. I know one who left in her late 50s/early 60s to become a scientist (and is working hard at that, in a prestigious, travel- and teaching-heavy position, in her late 70s, currently).

Or, you know, you might step outside and be squirreled.

Never know.

Last edited:

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly what cornflake said.

Age won't be a factor I consider if the agent is established and at a good agency. Most such agents work with assistants who do some agenting, and if they decide to retire, the clients will be passed on either to this junior agent, or to another colleague in the same agency.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend whose first agent was technically retired, but took on his first MS as a favor. (They were friends and family friends and had known each other for a while.) Once that sold, my friend was then able to go to another agent (recommended by the first) and gain representation for later work. (He has since written and sold 19 novels, with 16 of them being repped by the second agent.)

The important thing is whether or not they are someone who can successfully rep your work *now* and not so much if they'll still be here in 5 years or 20. (Planning for what happens if you have to part ways is something you should always consider with any agent regardless of age or seemingly imminent retirement.)

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
A 45 year old agent could be hit by a bus. Or have a midlife crisis and abandon his agenting career to go live among howler monkeys. Or turn out not to be a good fit professionally. My list of agent criteria is very short - 1. willing to rep my book and 2. breathing.

But seriously, age wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. Far more important are their contacts and ability to get your book seen.

Good luck with the querying process!