Mag Guidelines

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Read through the submission guidelines of LitMag (https://litmag.com/submit). The guidelines don't address my questions.

1. If the print version rejects a piece can a writer submit to the online version of the mag (and visa versa)?
2. The guidelines states Please wait until you have heard back from us before submitting again. Does that mean a writer can't submit to both (print and online) at the same time?

Any educated guesses?

(Is this the right forum for my question?)

Last edited:

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask your question, but I can answer with an educated guess.

They say: Please submit only once in each category and wait until you receive our response before submitting again.

This means you can submit once for the print and once for the online, but it is better not to submit the same piece. If you're subbing the same piece, then it is below 4k, and from what I can see the only big difference between their print and online versions is the word count. Once you submit a piece for print, they'll likely consider it for both. Print pays more, so I would target that.

I've responded to calls in similar situations and had a piece accepted in print instead of online. Both have their pros and cons. Print feels more permanent (and in this case, pays way more), but online is more widely circulated.

Last edited:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. :)

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! The print mag rejected several stories. Higher tier form asking to see more work. I keep send and they keep rejecting with the higher tier. Thought I'd give the online platform a go.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm moving this to Freelance, which is a better fit.

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
As a magazine editor, I can tell you that we appreciate it when those with higher tier rejections try us again.

I still think trying the print is better in this case: usually, the 'quality' difference between online and print is not all that high. If they accept a piece, I'm guessing they'll let length, formatting requirements, other pieces in the same issue decide whether they will print it online or print, more than a qualitative difference. Print is able to hold reader attention at greater lengths: reading longer stories online is simply not very viable.

Since you've tried them various times and been given higher tier rejections, I'm willing to bet that if you ask them straight out about their policy, and whether applying for online will make a difference, you might just get a straightforward response.

IMO, if they liked your piece enough to publish it in some form, they would have published your print sub online if the word count was within their limits, but that's only my guess.

Hope this helps.