Would like honest opinions on an animal-related story idea!

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
I almost posted this in fantasy, but I decided to post it here since it is a story about animals.

I had this idea, and wrote the first few pages not too long ago. I wanted to write a story from the point of view of a dolphin. A dolphin who recounts his life in the tumultuous, yet beautiful oceans. Friendship, loss, battles with sharks, discoveries, etc. The way I wrote the beginning wasn't really intended for children. Maybe young adult, but definitely aimed at an older audience than say the "Warriors" books are written for. But I'm wondering, is this even a good idea? Is it something adults would even read? I tried to look it up and found a few books like this. I've loved the ocean since I was a child, and so I've always wanted to write something along these lines. Thoughts?

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I've always wanted to write something along these lines

and there's the rub.

If you've always wanted to write it, then write it, and enjoy writing it. Write it in a style which you enjoy, at a level which you enjoy, and worry about whether it it's a commercial text afterwards.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
While most stories written from the viewpoint of animals have been children's book, some have been written for adults. Richard Adams's books come to mind.

I agree that you should write it and see what you end up with before worrying too much.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Ceridwen Dovey's Only the Animals has animal narrators, including a mussel. It's somewhat different from the story you're proposing, but it was def not aimed at the children's market.

PS: Remember that dolphins can be a bit...er...lively in their behaviour.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
There's Animal Farm, too.

My impression is that there's also a niche market for stories told from animal POVs.

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
PS: Remember that dolphins can be a bit...er...lively in their behaviour.

I might leave out SOME of those behaviors... Haha! I want some level of realism, but I think it will be mostly fantasy in the sense that the emotions will be comparable to humans. Thank you for the replies, everyone. Some of these examples are ones I haven't considered! This story is on my back burner, since there are books I want done before it. Though I think I'll definitely go back to it after more consideration.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I wrote a story about a serial child rapist lurking in an Italian villa, and the owner's cat, Sir Lancelot, was the only one who knew something was afoot and who it was. It was fun.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and there's the rub.

If you've always wanted to write it, then write it, and enjoy writing it. Write it in a style which you enjoy, at a level which you enjoy, and worry about whether it it's a commercial text afterwards.

^^^this...sounds like it'll be fun for you to write this!

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
I wrote a story about a serial child rapist lurking in an Italian villa, and the owner's cat, Sir Lancelot, was the only one who knew something was afoot and who it was. It was fun.

Oh, that sounds really interesting! But scary as well. I see you're from Bloomington? I'm a fellow Hoosier. :D

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting thread - I wrote a short story pov of a dog that saves his master from snakes. It's a little strong for kids, maybe young adult - anyway, your story sounds intriguing and you definitely should write it.

Singcali

Registered
Reaction score
With everything that is going on in the oceans, pollution etc, this could be a good idea.
As suggested 'Watership Down' and 'Animal Farm' are good examples of stories about animals meant for adults.

Whether animal or human, the character, morals, and lessons are what drives a story. You could have a hit. Believe in yourself and good luck.

Caroline

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
No, I'm from Metro Atlanta.

Oh, I'm sorry! Bloomington, IN is also called BTown and their team is the Wolves. *Embarrassed*

- - - Updated - - -

With everything that is going on in the oceans, pollution etc, this could be a good idea.
As suggested 'Watership Down' and 'Animal Farm' are good examples of stories about animals meant for adults.

Whether animal or human, the character, morals, and lessons are what drives a story. You could have a hit. Believe in yourself and good luck.

Caroline

Thank you, that's very encouraging! I feel like it's an important topic.

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
Interesting thread - I wrote a short story pov of a dog that saves his master from snakes. It's a little strong for kids, maybe young adult - anyway, your story sounds intriguing and you definitely should write it.

That story sounds awesome! And thank you for the encouragement. I think stories told from the POV of animals should be explored more. I really loved "A Dog's Purpose".

The JoJo

Licensed to chill
Registered
Reaction score

Caroline

Eh, Watership Down is children's literature, even if it does touch on mature themes at times (and as a result, has adult appeal too). Maybe keep that in mind OP, not everything written for children has to be tame and non-threatening.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Tailchaser's Song is another example of fantasy from the POV of animals (in this case, cats) that is directed at an adult audience. Or at least, it's not specifically for children. The Wild Road is another cat-centric fantasy in a similar vein. I'd recommend both.

I don't think Watership Down is typically viewed as children's literature either. Younger audiences can certainly read and enjoy it, but it's generally shelved alongside the adult science fiction and fantasy, or in the mainstream section. Though I'd agree that "children's literature" doesn't necessarily have to mean fluffy and sweet. Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of NIMH is directed at a younger audience but does touch on some pretty dark and serious issues.

In any case, I'd say if the idea is tugging at your interest, write it. Offhand, I can't recall any stories with dolphin protagonists, but they are popular animals, so I can see it having market appeal.