Deaf Man Shot Dead by Police (despite neighbours telling cops he was Deaf)

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I now live in Lawrence, MA, which has a significantly higher crime rate than the town I lived in last year. Shootings seems to happen in the more dangerous parts of Lawrence--not near where I live; it's a big city--fairly frequently. Part of what is underlying the high crime rate is a big drug (opiate) problem. There is also a large Hispanic community that is mostly Spanish speaking because of on-going waves of immigration, whether legal or not.

At any rate, last spring when the police were involved in shootings on consecutive days, the police administrative staff called an emergency meeting.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/de...cle_bda4b2b6-2396-11e7-b741-8b912c30ab8d.html

They were interested in figuring out how to reduce the problem.

Granted, this is Massachusetts. One of my points is that different parts of the country handle these problems in different ways. But overall, I worry that the police academies are not as selective as they should be about who they allow to become police.

I do feel a bit under siege these days. Sigh. I'd like to see that change.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
When the emphasis is on cutting taxes, something those taxes would otherwise pay for has to be cut, and the training budget seems like it would be an obvious place.

Exactly, though Americans don't seem to have a problem paying to equip police as if they were military.

And God it's frustrating how meekly most Americans seem to accept the "we just don't have money for that anymore" argument when the per capita GDP is larger, in inflation adjusted dollars, than it was back when we did have money for a more robust public sector. When are we going to wake up to the fact that we are being completely and utterly scammed while the rich are getting richer?

I lost a lot of sympathy for police as victims in all this when I learned that most of them voted for Trump (and the GOP). Are they really so naive they think that his promised tax cuts for the wealthy, and border walls, and Muslim bans, repeal of the ACA, and the GOP love for the NRA are going to bring them better salaries, training, and working conditions? Do they think that widening the income gap further and making life even more miserable for the poor and for PoC is going to make the citizenry more law abiding and docile? Do they think that a POTUS who espouses these sentiments will make people be nicer to police?

But as angry as I am at the way policing seems to be going in this country, I don't want cops to suffer either. We need police, and I've met some very kind, helpful cops (though I'm white and I do wonder if the nice young officer who gave me and my hubby a ride to the mechanic one stormy night when we were broken down--maybe, maybe not), and and there have been times in my life when I've been very happy to see a police officer. I know that some people do terrible things to cops because they are authority figures. Still, cops shoot more people than the reverse.

GAH!

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I never said it was the _whole_ story. It's a factor. An overlooked one, IMHO.

Some people think planes kill more people than cars even though the stats says the opposite. Heck, there is a famous head of state who doesn't believe in facts and numbers (and intel reports for that matter). At. All. In other words, it's not because numbers say one thing that you won't be convinced of the opposite.

I've been mauled by a German Shepard when I was ten. I'm still alive, but I had difficulties doing my homework for the best of six months. I can relate. A quick search for the term "dog as a weapon" shows a high number of recent cases where dogs are purposelessly trained as weapons. There are two sides to every issue.

Yeah, but there aren't. Facts are facts. Cops are shooting dogs who pose no imminent threat to them. The cops are armed. If a dog was running at a cop, snarling, that'd be one thing. We're talking about a whole lot of instances in which cops shoot dogs that are just standing in their own yards, or in their own homes, or on their own doorsteps, often with their humans standing right there, with the dogs making no aggressive movements whatsoever. There's no excuse for that shit.

Training is key. Sure. Experience is usually better, although it's a shitty teacher in this context. It gives the test first and the lesson comes afterwards, and when it comes to dealing with potentially violent people not all encounters can be survived for the lesson to get in.

-cb

The problem is seeing every person, dog, everything, as a potential threat -- and not just a potential threat, but an imminent threat to life. That's not reasonable; it's nuts.

I don't need or want police to have situation-by-situation training. First of all, in a multicultural society like ours, it's impossible to account for every such situation. Secondly, such training seems to come with expectations outside law enforcement, like attempting to ascertain that someone is schizophrenic, or in a bipolar episode. We don't even expect such instant diagnoses of psychological professionals.

Besides, some signals are pretty close to universal. Extending and open palm and moving the hand toward the other person means stop or back up. Same open palm aimed and gestured toward the ground is almost universally understood as "Get down."

I'd MUCH prefer a training program that includes de-escalation and simple customer service. I know that sounds odd, but customer service (among other things) is the practice of listening, paying attention to get to the root of a problem.

Officers right now are trained to assert authority, first, second, third, and maybe only.

Come into unknown situations alert and wary, but also with some concern for what you're approaching. A person.

I'm not talking about every possible situation; I'm talking about spending a half hour training people whose job it is to interact with the public that a portion of that public will respond in a particular way -- here it is. Dealing with EDPs does get training in big departments, and it's not about cops diagnosing people, but recognizing behaviours that indicate there is a mental illness at issue, as opposed to drug use, or pure aggression, or whatever. That, again, is something cops deal with.

I know someone told me a story a cop he knows told him, when said cop was guarding a sensitive area (like the UN), and had someone walk up out of the blue and start talking about his gun. There are almost no carry permits in my area; it is highly unusual for a civilian to be walking around with a legal weapon. The cop was instantly on guard, but something seemed off, so he let the guy keep talking. The guy explained he'd brought the gun, which his grandfather left him, to show to some politician. This was even more concerning, but the cop felt the guy was calm and talking, so he kept conversing with him. It eventually became clear the guy was 'round the bend, started talking about being sent by voices, etc., and the cop took a chance and asked to see the gun. Guy calmly handed it to him. Cop calmly called for an ambulance to take the guy for a psych evaluation. Good cop, well-trained and able to calmly assess. He was right next to the guy and making choices about the guy's behaviour and his own, and had he been trigger-happy, it could have gone very differently. Cops need training to deal with stuff they're going to come into contact with -- not every language and possible situation in the universe, but yeah, as many as possible. This is what you do if you think there's a hostage-taking, this is what you do in a domestic case, this is how you deal with X, Y, Z, this is some Spanish (or Chinese or whatever, depending on area), that you'll probably need, this is some ASL, because some people are deaf... Training.

while i agree that yes, THIS particular incidence is tragic.

but then again...no one is seeing or helping to solve the ROOT of the problem.
by now, cops are prolly so scared that now they shoot first and then realize after.
but then again, it's human nature to "defend" yourself (whether it be right or wrong) in any situation (whether hostile or calm).

People who cannot differentiate between those situations and act accordingly should not be cops, or armed.

sure you might say now, because you are in a very removed location from incidences like this...and say these things that are posted here in this thread.
but if you were in the situation, it's fight or flight....and as a cop who KNOWS how to use a gun/defend himself...he's gonna FIGHT. and even you who know some basic defense maneuvers....are guaranteed to attack back against someone who makes a "threatening" gesture to you.
this whole world is on edge. there's no way to tell anymore between the person that looks like safety, but then turns on you or the person that looks dangerous, but is the one that protects you.

as long as there are people out there commiting crimes of ANY nature....this problem will never end.

As long as people commit crimes of any kind, cops will be unable to control themselves and just shoot at people, because they're on edge? Those are BAD COPS who don't need to be walking around with weapons or badges. Good cops are taught the law, their jobs (to protect and serve, not defend themselves from anyone they see), how to deal with the public so NO ONE gets hurt...

That's the goal of hostage negotiators -- everyone out alive. Not just hostages, everyone. They'll spend hours, days, working to make that happen. They're cops who know their job. It's not a mystery.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I now live in Lawrence, MA, which has a significantly higher crime rate than the town I lived in last year. Shootings seems to happen in the more dangerous parts of Lawrence--not near where I live; it's a big city--fairly frequently. Part of what is underlying the high crime rate is a big drug (opiate) problem. There is also a large Hispanic community that is mostly Spanish speaking because of on-going waves of immigration, whether legal or not.

At any rate, last spring when the police were involved in shootings on consecutive days, the police administrative staff called an emergency meeting.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/de...cle_bda4b2b6-2396-11e7-b741-8b912c30ab8d.html

They were interested in figuring out how to reduce the problem.

Granted, this is Massachusetts. One of my points is that different parts of the country handle these problems in different ways. But overall, I worry that the police academies are not as selective as they should be about who they allow to become police.

I do feel a bit under siege these days. Sigh. I'd like to see that change.

I don't believe there is anyone NOT interested in ways to reduce the problem.

It just seems that not everyone agrees what the problem is. I see it as police overstepping their authority. Others say people don't respect authority anymore. Did you notice yourself mentioning immigration? While discussing that would probably be a major derail, I will say that I don't see any connection (direct or otherwise) to violence toward and by police. Just as another example of disagreement.

I got heat for this last time I brought it up, but I think it's not humanly possible for police to be unaffected by dealing with violent perpetrators day in and day out. We are an inherently adaptive creature, and when violence becomes part of our routine, violence loses that aura of "shouldn't go there." I see that as inevitable. In the police force, sort of like in the military, an officer has to take on dangerous and violent roles in order to advance. In such a culture, I think it's amazing that we don't have more incidents than we do.

But I think there's a ray of hope in that. There aren't more incidents. I think, on the whole, police officers WANT to fix this. That's why we see stories of officers playing street b-ball with kids, and gathering together money to feed a family in barely livable conditions. Officers don't join the force because they get to shoot people. I mean, there will always be exceptions. But the officer who caught me as a reckless Navy sailor doing 110 down a back-country road laughed when she saw how bad I was shaking. I should-a gone to jail. She let me go with a $450 speeding ticket. Ouch. But she let me go.

By and large, officers want to do some good in this world. And I think there's an opportunity in that. If we'd stop yelling at each other long enough to listen.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think that without the yelling, most administrators would see the recent spate of police killings as normal.

I'm in Canada, but I once had a disturbing discussion with a young police officer. He was talking about catching criminals in the act, paused and said "And sometimes they fight back." He didn't sound disturbed about this possibility. He sounded like he found it enthralling. That he was disappointed when a suspect immediately surrendered.

Perhaps this is unavoidable when you must hire people who at the least aren't afraid of physical confrontation. But I get the feeling that in many police departments not much has changed since the old nightstick and rubber hose days, and this is just not acceptable any more. Police will be expected to deal with dangerous criminals, yes, but also with mentally ill people, handicapped people, people confused by cultural differences and others who mean the police no harm. If police trainees are encouraged to see defusing a situation as a bigger win than slamming someone into unconsciousness or shooting them, that's a first step.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe there is anyone NOT interested in ways to reduce the problem.

It just seems that not everyone agrees what the problem is. ...Did you notice yourself mentioning immigration? While discussing that would probably be a major derail, I will say that I don't see any connection (direct or otherwise) to violence toward and by police....

My sole reason for bringing up immigration is that in Lawrence there are areas where people speak very little English and speak mostly (or only) one or another Spanish dialect. I am sure that a large portion of the police staff are bilingual.

So I was trying to speak to the different languages as part of basic training issue. That's all.

What is really important here is to understand that the best solutions will come from discussing multiple perspectives about the problems. With mutual respect and regard, I think we can improve things for both police and citizenry. It's just that so very often these days, discussion aren't particularly civil and people don't look at multiple perspectives.

That is outside of AWC, in the world at large. I've found this forum to be an amazing place of open-hearted, open-minded regard.

With respect,
M.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm sure that it's challenging recruiting people who hit that right balance between being brave, willing to take risks to serve and protect and actively seeking conflict for the adrenaline rush (or to deal with the fear or whatever). I think it's probably even harder to give police the kind of leadership, ongoing training, and psychological support they need to maintain that balance over time. It's going to cost money.

We need to do a better job of it in the US, though. Other countries seem to be.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
We need to do a better job of it in the US, though. Other countries seem to be.

I'm not so sure that's true. For one example, I've heard horror stories about the treatment of IRA members (actual as well as alleged) in British jails.

I don't know if things are better, or if the USA is just paying more attention to it.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
You mean the real problem in the US is that they're *too* sensitive to police brutality? Are you really saying that?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm not so sure that's true. For one example, I've heard horror stories about the treatment of IRA members (actual as well as alleged) in British jails.

I don't know if things are better, or if the USA is just paying more attention to it.

If you have to go back to a time of undeclared civil war to find a comparison, you might have made a point you didn't intend to make.