Please be gentle with me!

redrobin62

Registered
Reaction score
Website
seattlewordsmith.wordpress.com
Hi. New writer, Robin Ray, here. Actually, I shouldn't say I'm a new writer since I already have six books (and counting) out on Amazon as we speak. I say new because I was recently "encouraged" to join up because my writing seemed, how should I say, lacking from a sci-fi publisher's point of view. I've been told my writing was already good, but you know what they say - one man's meat, etc. I'm hoping to make some nice online friends here. BTW, the sci-fi publisher told me that people will be downright vicious on Absolute Write. Sigh. Oh well. Bring the pain.

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Robin, and welcome. I'm new here at AW, and find no savagery so far. Not yet in the crit forums yet though. All I'd say to you is, there's good and bad in all forums. And a lot of the times, harsh crits can provide more inroads into the next draft than those that are very sweet. (Personally, I'm all about crits that make the writer enthusiastic for the next draft, and the camp that believes that suggestions of improvement can be given without destroying the writer's morale.)

Plus, I wouldn't go in with any assumptions before experiencing the place.

AW has different kinds of reactions at different sites, but I guess we should all make up our own minds based on our own individual experiences.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, the sci-fi publisher told me that people will be downright vicious on Absolute Write. Sigh. Oh well. Bring the pain.

Actually, we're quite sweet.

:Hug2:

:e2flowers

:Sun:

Welcome! And congrats on finishing your books.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Robin. Welcome to AW.

Congratulations and best of success with your books.

"vicious" heh-heh. I don't really think so. I do know our critters take the job of critting seriously and do sincerely want to help each other improve. I prefer a hard, thorough crit, but anyone who wants a gentle crit can get one simply by requesting a gentle crit. easy-peasy :)

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hi, and welcome! Hope you find AW useful.
Well, one person's vicious is another's honest opinion on a piece of work. A thorough scouring of a piece can REALLY help, but you have to expect that it might hurt. It will help immensely however.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. New writer, Robin Ray, here. Actually, I shouldn't say I'm a new writer since I already have six books (and counting) out on Amazon as we speak. I say new because I was recently "encouraged" to join up because my writing seemed, how should I say, lacking from a sci-fi publisher's point of view. I've been told my writing was already good, but you know what they say - one man's meat, etc. I'm hoping to make some nice online friends here. BTW, the sci-fi publisher told me that people will be downright vicious on Absolute Write. Sigh. Oh well. Bring the pain.

If you feel someone is being vicious, use the
report-40b.png
report post button, contact a mod, or contact me, directly.

That said, many writers have no experience with a genuine crit. It's a good idea to take your time and spend a couple of weeks reading.

Read a lot of crits in Share your work. Try writing a few crits of your own; it's one of the best ways to learn about writing.

And welcome to AW!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I wouldn't call anyone here vicious, but honest, yes. If it needs fixing, people will tell you, and there are thsoe who will not sugar-coat it. But there's rarely outright cruelty, and those who are more cruel than helpful get stern talkings to by the powers-that-be. This place is here to help you improve yourself, not tear you down, and yes, if you ask for gentleness, we will give it. :) Welcome!

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, the sci-fi publisher told me that people will be downright vicious on Absolute Write.

Your publisher has misled you. People are not downright vicious on Absolute Write.

In fact, they are exceedingly refined, solicitous and cordial to newbies. Even as they devour your liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Dr. Lecter will see you now. :e2brows:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
You want vicious? I'll show you vicious!

*wields swords*

*tries to look terrifying*

*remembers someone once called her avatar a "soft toy"*

*gives up*

:welcome:

Felix

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from fellow newbie!

There are a lot of experienced writers here who are willing to share what they know to help you be a better writer. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference in the motivation - whether they genuinely enjoy sharing the knowledge or if there's a bit of satisfaction in flexing the muscle of their experience. There are a million reasons - on both sides - why someone might seem like they're being short, even when they're not trying to be. But if you throw aside your reaction and peel the top layer off their biting comments, you can find the decent feedback / critique / advice at the core. And it only benefits you as a writer to take away the most beneficial parts. It's an exercise in humility, I guess.

There are also a lot of inexperienced writers here who are learning, too. I've connected with two really wonderful beta readers who are giving me great feedback - both of them great writers and neither of them vicious.

Take everything with a grain of salt. Jump right in. :hi:

JES0428

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Another newbie here. I am not nearly as far along as you in my writing career - I am still working on my first novel. But I have been reading the crits in the SYW and I think it has all been really ensightful and helpful! It might be a different story when it is my own work being picked apart - but I suppose I'll find out someday!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
FRESH MEAT

*lowers basket*

IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN

*coughs*
I mean, welcome to AW. Sci fi, eh? You'll be coming to my neck of the woods. We're not vicious.

*rattles basket*

redrobin62

Registered
Reaction score
Website
seattlewordsmith.wordpress.com
Heh. So far, so good. I feel a bit relieved. Writing is such a subjective and personal issues that even I have to remind myself that it's ME who's not being read the riot act to, it's my work. That said, isn't it frustrating when one publisher rejects your work for being "too expository and not enough dialog" while another one says, "not enough exposition, too much dialog"? :rant:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of experienced writers here who are willing to share what they know to help you be a better writer. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference in the motivation - whether they genuinely enjoy sharing the knowledge or if there's a bit of satisfaction in flexing the muscle of their experience.
Oh good grief.

Assume they enjoy helping.

hgsylvan

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Welcome! Glad you are finding the site useful!