Where to submit next, sci-fi

mpalenik

Registered
Reaction score
A while ago, I decided that before finishing the novel that I wanted to write, I should try writing some short stories again and seeing if I could get any published. I hadn't tried this in a few years, but in the past I had gotten some positive personal feedback, and I know that I can write better than I could back then. I figured this would be a good way to improve my writing and hopefully build up my publication credentials.

I wrote several short stories, but the first one I wrote, I think was likely the best, because of some very personal emotional elements included in it. I originally submitted to Strange Horizons, and it was rejected with a form rejection, although I was slightly encouraged because they seemed to hold onto it for significantly longer the average time, according to Moksha. The same with Apex. Next, I tried Asimov's.

After 5 months (not atypical there), I got my first personal feedback on the story. "The story is nicely done, but a bit maudlin. I look forward to your next one, though."

This was, at least, very encouraging. I did some major and minor rewrites, and submitted to Clarkesworld, because even though it didn't seem like it was quite appropriate there, I didn't want to wait another 6 months to hear anything. Form rejection after 1 day.

Then, I submitted to Fantasy&Science Fiction, which seemed like a much more appropriate place. I got a "template 3" rejection from C.C. Finlay, which I looked up on his blog, and apparently it means:

"Template 3 is the “didn’t win me over” template. Look, you’re probably a pro. This is a good story. You know it’s good. You’re probably going to sell it elsewhere. Maybe I can tell you the idiosyncratic reasons why it didn’t make me all hot and tingly so that I can’t stop thinking about it day and night, night and day. Maybe I did. But either way, you probably don’t care. It’s a no. You’ve already got your next market lined up and you’re ready to send it out again. AS YOU SHOULD."

When I saw that, I was really encouraged. So, apparently, I should continue submitting it elsewhere, but I'm not sure what the appropriate venue would be. I ideally wanted to get it published in a professional magazine, and the SFWA has a list of around 30 magazines that qualify, when I look at the stories in them, it doesn't quite seem like mine fits, usually. It's also hard to gain a huge amount of knowledge about all of them.

The story takes place in a rural town, has very few sci-fi elements, although there are some, particularly at the end. It involves a young woman who has undergone trauma, and centers around her interaction with her family and her desire to escape it. It also draws on a bit of actual physics (since I'm a physicist). There are only 3 characters in the story.

So, any suggestions on what I should try next? Should I try dropping down to semi-pro mags? Should I try non-sci-fi magazines? Or is there some sci-fi mag that might be appropriate, based on my description.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

(and of course, I'm continuing to write more things)

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Submission Grinder? A quick search brings up about 40 places that take SF and pay 6¢/word (pro rate) or better. That includes venues you've already tried and I'm sure a good handful of ones where your story won't fit, but it's worth a look.

mpalenik

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm also wondering if there's any reason I should put this one on hold for a while and try to submit some other things first, or if maybe it's a better idea to try semi-pro markets, or if there's any other helpful advice on how I should go about this. I mean, I think there's a good chance I could burn through every pro market without getting this story published, so I'm wondering if there's some other submission strategy I should use--like try submitting several (ideally good) stories to a magazine to build some kind of relationship with the editor, etc.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want that SFWA-qualifying market, keep going for it.

redrobin62

Registered
Reaction score
Website
seattlewordsmith.wordpress.com
I'm in the same boat, m'self. Sci-fi is not my strong suit, so the last short story I wrote, which eventually turned into an 8200 word novelette, was rejected left and right. I sent out the final rewrite last week to six places on Grinder that accepts simultaneous submissions. Now I'll just sit back with my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

mpalenik

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, m'self. Sci-fi is not my strong suit, so the last short story I wrote, which eventually turned into an 8200 word novelette, was rejected left and right. I sent out the final rewrite last week to six places on Grinder that accepts simultaneous submissions. Now I'll just sit back with my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I hadn't checked this thread in a couple days, apparently, so let me just say, best of luck!

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Echoing what's been said above, try sorting through possible venues by genre and pay at the Submission Grinder. Work your way down the list when submitting, and be sure to include your credentials as a physicist in your cover letter. Publishers like that sort of thing.