OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm sick of using MS Word, and want to try a free program instead. The question I have is: Is OpenOffice or LibreOffice better at formatting for MS Word users? That is, if I send a document made in one of the free programs to an MS Word user, will the formatting be correct?

I really don't care whether 1 program or the other is easier to use. Just this issue with formatting. Of course, if there are a huge number of problems with 1 or both of these programs, that'd also be good to know about before I start using them. But which is better for my needs?

Thanks in advance. :)

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
OpenOffice is barely maintained these days, because almost all the developers have moved to LibreOffice (as in, it took OpenOffice months to fix a critical security bug a while back). Go with LibreOffice.

As for formatting carrying over correctly to Word, the answer seems to be "usually". Simple formatting of the type you would find in a novel manuscript should be fine. I haven't needed to transfer anything complicated back and forth in a while, though, so there may be specific things that are prone to breaking.

BrianY

Registered
Reaction score
I myself use LibreOffice and strongly prefer it to any word processing program I've tried.

If you don't put in too much fancy formatting, you won't have any problems. It is important however, to make sure you're using the most current version.

Best of luck with it.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> But which is better for my needs?

What are your needs?

-cb

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Libre Office is still being maintained.

But no one but you can tell what is better for you.

Download it and use it for a month.

kneedeepinthedoomed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
spawnhost.wordpress.com
Libre Office is the actively developed version of that software, as others have said, which probably means that any updates to MS Word compatibility are more likely to be found in LO.

On the other hand, you still cannot create 100% compatible .doc files. LO also doesn't support Word macros. It really depends on how complex your documents are and how many Word-specific functions you (or your correspondents) want to use. It's a little like fitting a square peg into a round hole, even if the square peg is generally quite good at looking like a round one.

I don't think 100% Microsoft compatibility is even on the agenda anymore for open source products. LO seems to focus more on delivering a really nice free office suite instead of tracking down every new idiosyncratic feature of MS Word. You can export and open .doc files, but only up to a point.

In my experience, LO doesn't have a large number of problems, but you may find it does for you.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
To elaborate, Libre Office is a direct descendant of Open Office. The company that maintained nominal control of Open Office was bought a few years ago by Oracle, a company that has historically been unfriendly with open source projects. To be sure the project would continue, the voulenteers who worked on it "forked" the code (took a copy of the then recent version, something open source lets you do) as a new project, presumably with any elements that could get them in legal hot water (name branding at least) stripped. Since then pretty much everyone who cares (including those responsible for developing it) has followed the jump to Libre Office. Same developers (mostly), same project (plus updates), different name and different legal entity controlling it.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, looks like LibreOffice is the winner. :)

And sorry, I could've been a bit more specific in my initial post. I'd be using LO for some fairly basic novel-relevant functions - typing, obviously, as well as indenting, bold/italics/underlines, different text sizes and fonts, that sort of thing. I'm assuming that's all basic enough that LO shouldn't throw up any major compatibility issues.

One other function, though, is for self-publishing e-books on Amazon. I've only done that once before, and can't quite recall the process, but I do know that I had to format my Word document in a very specific way to get compatibility with Kindle. I'd assume LO can handle that, too, but it's definitely worth asking.

Thanks all. :)

redrobin62

Registered
Reaction score
Website
seattlewordsmith.wordpress.com
Ooh! Ooh! Robin wants to throw in his $.02.

I use the free version of WPS Office. I still have MS Office, but it had a weird bug that caused me to migrate to WPS. The bug?

Using MS Office, I couldn't for the life of me, format my novels good enough for Smashwords. Believe me, I tried. I erased all formatting, meaning also all hidden codes, but Smashwords kept spitting it back out. Frustrated, I migrated over to WPS, tweaked the books here and there, and they went through Smashwords like diarrhea. (Okay. Nasty simile, but you know what I mean).

BTW, the difference between the free version of WPS Office and the paid one is you get a five second ad/nag screen. Functionality, though, is 100%. Sweet, huh? Plus, the letter strip resembles MS Office. I think their header system is more intuitive, too. I use MS Office 2013, BTW.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
LibraOffice > OpenOffice, definitely, though I tend to stick with Word out of pure familiarity at this point.

One other function, though, is for self-publishing e-books on Amazon. I've only done that once before, and can't quite recall the process, but I do know that I had to format my Word document in a very specific way to get compatibility with Kindle. I'd assume LO can handle that, too, but it's definitely worth asking.

Thanks all. :)

Scrivener is reportedly quite good at this, and has the most out-of-the-box functions for creating clean epubs. Vellum is very highly recommended by Mac users, too, though I haven't tried it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both. :)

I'll stick with LibreOffice for the time being, though I'll admit I am curious about Scrivener. Just, y'know, not enough to pay for it right at this point. :)

Try Scrivener for thirty days. Complete NaNoWriMo and get it for half price.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I'd completely forgotten about the free trial period! Hmm... I may just have to try it out *during* NaNo. If I do NaNo this year. Which I'm not completely sure about. But yeah - makes about as much sense as any other time to try it. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I just checked out a Scrivener tutorial on YouTube. The frills of the program don't really do it for me (I can organise myself well enough already with a main document plus a text file - it's worked for me for years), but then the Compile feature... It definitely seems worth the cost of the program, if I'm ever going to seriously try being a self-e-pubbed author. (That is, many, many self-pubbed ebooks.) Is it really as simple as just clicking that option in the Compile window? Like, no messing about with in-text formatting?

I'd be really curious to know how flawlessly it works. Mostly looking at Kindle format, but possibly others at a later date.