Giveaway contests

Maskoz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering if any of you have run these and if you have any experiences to share about what was effective and what wasn't.

I have gleaned that simply offering copies of your book/ebook/audiobook/autographed serviette doesn't really pull that much interest (if you are an unknown), but I got my hands on a nice handful of $25 gift cards I thought might be a better draw. It's not a lot, but it's the price of a whole book, a meal for one, or a trip for two to the movies.

I also understand that offering prizes in exchange for reviews (be they good or bad) is absolutely out.

So if you've run a giveaway and found it successful (however you define that) what were your experiences? What did you offer? Were you already established? What was the response?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
What's your objective for the giveaway? Defining the success will depend on that objective.

For example, you can use a giveaway to get sign-ups to your author mailing list. However, you may get a lot of freebie-chasers who aren't really interested in your books.

I've used Amazon Giveaways (books) to boost publicity at launch, and their value has been questionable, at least in my experience. On the other hand, doing a strategic, well-advertised free promotion of the first book in a series has paid off in sales of the other books.

Maskoz

Registered
Reaction score
Part of my motivation for writing this post was to get some help clarifying my objective. As you mention, the mailing list idea won't necessarily translate into actual interest (I tend to ignore mailing list emails even from things I'm interested in, so I think I've already discarded that one).

From the reading I've done, questions I've asked other people, and my general feeling about how I get hooked on a someone elses marketing, I think I want to increase exposure. As this is my first book project I've ever tried to market, I was hoping someone might have perspective on whether "like and share the cover image on FB and Twitter" route actually results in any increased exposure. I have a feeling just getting the cover image/plot hook as far as possible is the best form of this kind of marketing, but I don't actually have experience with it so don't know if it's the best use of my resources/time.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Is your book on Goodreads? I do all my giveaways through that site. It works out pretty good. I think you can do e-books now too.

Maskoz

Registered
Reaction score
It's not anywhere yet. I think Spring? I'm just getting everything in place.

I've heard a lot of good things about Goodreads giveaways and the community in general. I've been slowly working on my contribution there, but despite writing quite a lot, I'm actually a pretty slow reader. I find the site kind of painfully dated in how it actually works, but it's incredibly active.

WildcatJim2112

Registered
Reaction score
I've done several Goodreads giveaways which seemed to go pretty well. Not sure how many sales it translated to but got my books on hundreds of people's "To Read" lists. We just ran a four day promo of my first book and sold the second book in the series for 99 cents which ended up great. Generated a bunch of new reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.