How does music knowledge help you plot?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Maybe you can help me puzzle out how my music studies can help me write novels.

For years now I've been haunted by scraps of music. They seem to come out of nowhere. Some are likely from popular songs and symphonies. Others seem to be my own. I created a shorthand for musical notation. Once written down and hummed, or sung with nonsense words like a dyslexic rapper, and then filed away, they quit haunting me.

Except the scraps keep getting longer and more complicated. So I did what many others have done. I put together a music composition workstation. It's made of a notebook computer I rarely used. Attached to it is a cheap electronic piano, a very wide screen monitor, a good sound system, and a mouse and keyboard. I found software that lets me play music, capture it in a MIDI file, and display it in standard music notation. You can see an image of it at the end of this post.

Here's where story writing comes in. Studying music I found that there are techniques for making a song or a symphony. Shorter works of three to five minutes long often have two to four parts, arranged say ABAB or ABC-AC-D. Symphonies can have even more parts. Each of them may be performed louder or softer, faster or slower. What are some typical parts we might split our stories into?

There are usually two layers of music, which I find harder to translate into story terms. A typical band has a bass or percussion instrument that lays down a "bottom" layer. Atop that is a lyric layer, a voice or an instrumental version of a voice. A piano can play both layers, the left hand the bass layer, the right hand the lyric layer. More complex songs or symphonies may have several layers, each played by a different instrument. How might we do something similar to layers in a story?

A simple advertising ditty I can understand at my present state of learning. More complex works are harder to understand. Have you ever tried to separate out the parts and layers of later Beatles music, where they did studio productions with up to a dozen instruments - including a sitar?!!! Even Britney Spears' early stuff baffles me right now.

Oh, well. Embarking on music studies and practice is like beginning a voyage around the world. I expect to die before I reach Katmandu. But what a journey I'll have.
composer-work-station-aw.jpg

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I think a musical ear helps with dialogue, and with the beat of the prose.

What are some typical parts we might split our stories into?

Subplots? ETA: Also, maybe variations in "tone" from one section to another, depending on what's happening in the story.

How might we do something similar to layers in a story?

Texture, is the first word that comes to mind. Then I think multiple povs and subtexts. Also, conflicting feelings within the same character.

Last edited:

Flanderso

Registered
Reaction score
I think a musical ear helps with dialogue, and with the beat of the prose.

Agreed.

As for plot, I'd never really though about it - it depends on the kind of music you'd use as a plotting template. A classical symphony would better suited for plotting - all its highs and lows, tonal changes etc.

I would also say one of the biggest components is rhythm. With a short pop song, what you get at the beginning, it pretty much what you would get all the way through till the end, rhythmically speaking. There's also the build to the chorus, the lull after the chorus as the song returns to the verse, then the joy at the expectant return of the chorus.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Longer musical pieces have dramatic structures, same as novels.

I used the structure of a sonata to plot my first MS (exposition, development, recapitulation). In my case I broke the development into two sections, creating 4 acts in total.

Exposition--tonal material presented; development--elaborated and contrasted; recapitulation--resolved harmonically and thematically.

Much of the story is based around music one way or another (less so now than in earlier drafts, but still) so it was appropriate, and helpful for me as a beginner writer to get my head around outlining by using something with which I was already familiar. I found music easier to envision than writing, early on.

The concept of different melodies combining was also useful to me for getting my head around which roles the multiple POVs were playing, and balancing how much narrative time they each should get in relation to that.

Do I get a star for being pretentious? ;-)

Last edited:

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
All of these are really good points. I'm glad someone brought this up.

Music is one thing that inspired my current work (to be released this fall! Yay!). For me, I would love to listen to DJ mixes of house and electronica. The way the songs melded into each other felt like I was going into different locations and events, a lot like a story. I would daydream as a teenager, inventing stories to go with these music sets, and before I knew it, I had essentially a "series" running in my mind.

I guess I'm a little crazy or obsessive, but it worked out. :ROFL:

Kylie Chanae

Registered
Reaction score
The concept of different melodies combining was also useful to me for getting my head around which roles the multiple POVs were playing, and balancing how much narrative time they each should get in relation to that.

This makes me think of a perspective in which each POV has its own instrument representation. They fit together to form the story, and each one provides a layer with its own unique addition.

Many things in life follow the pattern of building to a climax and then have resolving action, such as a recipe, where you combine all the ingredients and cook it to a desired texture or taste and then let it cool to eat it. Age is another; we climax in strength, in knowledge, in ability, and then it declines more quickly until it ends.

I have toyed around with an idea for a couple years to write a novel and have a key song for each chapter that a reader could listen to while reading to get the feel of what I was writing through their ears as well as through their eyes. I'm not sure what would need to happen as far as rights go, but I like the idea.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Kylie--you can kind of get that with Japanese "visual novels". They're sort of a hybrid between computer games and novellas, where you "play" through a text based story accompanied by artwork and thematic music. It's a lot of reading and not much game in most cases. For those who are interested, I believe the Stein's Gate visual novel is currently for sale on Steam... anyway.

Hah! I'll take your word for it, edutton.

Kylie Chanae

Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin- like a choose your own adventure story!! I had one about Mt. Olympus as a kid, and I tore that sucker up by reading it over and over again. I wonder if adult versions of choose your own adventure novels would go anywhere. Have you ever seen one?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yes, it is a bit like that (but with graphics and music).

I wonder if adult versions of choose your own adventure novels would go anywhere. Have you ever seen one?

Er, well. I haven't seen a published one, but in another beta-reading fb group, someone was trying to get beta readers for their choose-your-own erotica MS.

I didn't volunteer.

Last edited:

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
Nice battlestation you got there Laer Caroll :3

I think the writing equivalent of a melody-harmony dynamic is the relationship between the dialogue and its subtexts. While the characters may say one thing, their hidden feelings might say another, like how a simple ostinato can't hide the tension and release of the chord progressions underneath.

On an unrelated note, since it seemed like you want to explore the parallels between song-making and prose writing, I recommend you try out Vocaloid:
https://www.vocaloid.com/en
Its vocal synth program that is very bendable to suit your needs (as long as you actually read the manual).

Last edited:

yourgigishorrible

Registered
Reaction score
I have toyed around with an idea for a couple years to write a novel and have a key song for each chapter that a reader could listen to while reading to get the feel of what I was writing through their ears as well as through their eyes. I'm not sure what would need to happen as far as rights go, but I like the idea.
I was just thinking about this today! One of the chapters in my current project was pretty much based on a song and for another chapter I was listening to a song while writing it to get in the mood, and I've been thinking of making a playlist on Spotify for songs that could inspire me further. Speaking of which, I recall reading a novel which included a link to such a playlist, so that could be an option, and then clarify that each song belongs to a certain chapter. It's a neat idea, anyway =)

Kylie--you can kind of get that with Japanese "visual novels". They're sort of a hybrid between computer games and novellas, where you "play" through a text based story accompanied by artwork and thematic music. It's a lot of reading and not much game in most cases. For those who are interested, I believe the Stein's Gate visual novel is currently for sale on Steam... anyway.
This makes me happy as I've recently read a few visual novels, in fact my avatar is a character from one (Remember11). I think they, and "adventure games" (kind of similar concept but more gameplay) can be very useful for writers, at least I have learned a lot about storytelling by playing them.

Ms.Pencila

Registered
Reaction score
Nice discussion! Hadn't Haven't done enough thinking about this yet.

I think your noting the function of the bass under the melody could translate nicely into setting functioning as a support for the plot-which might contain the characters like motifs, that can move the structured melody along, but get boring/flat if they don't develop/have appropriate arcs and growth? And, just as some music focuses more on driving forward, and some concentrates on the flowering of the smaller elements, there are different kinds of stories, some more plot-driven, others more character-centered... and there's always music where a really rich bass stands out like an exceptionally well-done setting. Hopefully I'm not thinking of this in term too strictly classical, but I'd love to hear someone with more insight into modern music draw comparisons.

Liking this much more than comparing different stories/books to food.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Another lesson we can take from music is in creating and sustaining a mood.