First submission in... I lost track of how long. Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
A couple years ago, I wrote a poem. I don't normally write poems, but for some reason this one happened. I submitted it a couple places, got an offer--and realized I had no idea what to DO once I had an offer, so that never went anywhere. So it's been sitting on my computer for two years, and once I picked up my writing again I started thinking how much I really did want to see it published.

Well... I found a market. On accident, really. I have this site bookmarked that collects every paying SFF/horror submission call they can find and puts it up, organized by what kind of story they're looking for, what kind of payment they offer, etc. I occasionally browse the current listings just to see what the smaller markets are looking for. And I stumbled on one that was asking, specifically, for poems about supernatural creatures--like mine.

So I took a deep breath and submitted it. At the last minute, naturally, so that I could maximize my anxiety in all directions.

I don't know if the poem is dark enough for the particular anthology, but they did specify they don't mind if the creatures aren't nasty as long as there's something dark about it. So I figured, why not. I tossed my hat in the ring. Wish me luck!

pamrobi

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! And, regardless of what happens, congratulations on getting it out there. I just sent my first two "real" queries and I now know how hard it is.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! And, regardless of what happens, congratulations on getting it out there. I just sent my first two "real" queries and I now know how hard it is.

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

Good luck! I'm sending good vibes :)

Thanks! Honestly, even if it doesn't pan out, I'm glad I got something out there again, and I'm glad I got something submitted to this place--it's a really neat anthology that I'd quite like to be in.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sending you positive vibes.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. Sadly, I got a reply today that they had too many submissions with witches, werewolves, and vampires, and so they returned my submission unread. I'm looking on the bright side though, of which there are many:

1) I'm submitting again. That's awesome.
2) I had another market on my list. So it's time to move on.
3) They returned it UNREAD. Seems to me that means if they have another anthology that it fits I can submit it again. (Right? Seems like sound logic to me. It wasn't actually rejected, they had too many so it wasn't considered. So I should be able to get it considered later. Logic? If this logic does not actually work, refer again to bright side #2.)

Edit: Three bright sides is a lot of bright sides. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

pamrobi

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent, I agree with all your bright sides. You are on the right runway, eventually you will take off if you keep at it.

danthony

Registered
Reaction score
It's good that you're looking at the positives! Just keep submitting and eventually you'll find the right market!

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sadly, I got a reply today that they had too many submissions with witches, werewolves, and vampires, and so they returned my submission unread.

Everyone has their own process, of course, but I never write in the cover letter what my fiction is about. I usually just put the genre, word count, title, and publication history.

If you keep the cover letter sparse on details, you might have better luck. Let them start the story first, and give them no reasons to not even give it a chance.

frenchpickle123

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fantastic that you're being so optimistic. Keep putting yourself out there, taking risks, honing your craft, and it WILL happen! Good luck!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another on-the-bright-side wishes here. I submitted a short story recently (though it had already been published they said reprints welcome). It was rejected. Not sure if I don't know what "reprints welcome" means. It's all a learning process.

No worries, I'm working on another short story as I continue to edit my novel, because the short story submission's topic intrigued me and I came up with a great idea. We'll see how that translates into what I end up with on the page. I think I'm a fair writer with some great ideas as opposed to a great writer with some fair ideas.

Anyway, there's always another story and/or another place to submit it.

Best wishes. :D

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
So great to look at the bright side! I did too. I got a like on Pitmad, but knew the agent would reject--surprise-surprise--she did. She wanted a contemporary story, and a tweet didn't convey I have a kind of contemporary in the 80s--didn't get me down.

I also submitted a short story to an anthology that had a very specific bent. I did manage to come up with a story--completely outside my wheelhouse--but because of the theme, she saw right through it, LOL! I will try sending it elsewhere. If readers don't know the collective theme it could work.

And she did like the story, she could just predict the aha.

Best wishes on reaching out some more.

:)

ktzeee

Registered
Reaction score
Getting back into the game is always rough, but everyone has to start again somewhere. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.