A Flirty Newbie On the Horizon!

Articulate Lady

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to say that it is an absolute pleasure to be part of a writing community. I write bits and pieces of short stories, some poetry, and a little bit of erotica. I actually found solace on some roleplaying sites, because I loved collaborating with a partner on stories. I have abandoned that though, mostly because my partners kept disappearing! How frustrating is that?

Anyway, I just hope to find a home here, and contribute where I can. I came from another writing forum that left me absolutely devastated because no matter how hard I tried, someone was always breaking me down. I don't mind criticism, I think critiquing is a great gift to writers, but the message gets lost when the writer ends up feeling like a failure and doesn't want to write anymore. But rejection is part of the game right? I guess I just have to get a thicker skin, and after all it's just the internet!

Anyway, I am fun, flirty, always up for a good conversation, so drop me a line anytime!

Thanks again, and I hope to make a lot of new writer friends!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I came from another writing forum that left me absolutely devastated because no matter how hard I tried, someone was always breaking me down. I don't mind criticism, I think critiquing is a great gift to writers, but the message gets lost when the writer ends up feeling like a failure and doesn't want to write anymore.

Welcome to AW :welcome: When you've got 50 substantive posts, you can put work up for crit here on the SYW pages - be sure to read a lot of crit first to get a taste fr the crit styles. If a gentle crit works better for you, be sure and mention that! No-one wants to stop people writing.

Loke1997

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, welcome! Yes, I think there's an art to giving constructive feedback which not many people seem to have a firm grasp of.

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, and welcome to the site. Thanks for your comment on my post.

I believe a good crit gets a writer excited to move on to the next draft--and that crit should always be a sandwich: what is Good -> what could use work<- , and What is Good. I always tell my students to identify at least two good things in the work they're critiquing, and to never be personal or rude.

It always helps when you specify your crit-tolerance. Some can handle delicate wash, others can take medium, and some can take the heat and stress of denim. Giving crit online, I'd always recommend erring on the side of delicate wash, because we don't know what the writer can handle.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Articulate Lady

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW :welcome: When you've got 50 substantive posts, you can put work up for crit here on the SYW pages - be sure to read a lot of crit first to get a taste fr the crit styles. If a gentle crit works better for you, be sure and mention that! No-one wants to stop people writing.

Hello there McCardey!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I did have a hard time with the critique, because they were throwing out complicated terminology and styles which I had no grasp of. It was very hard for me to understand as well as accept what I was being given. I will be sure to put "Be gentle" in my first post, or at least post that I am more than a beginner. I left that site not wanting to write anymore, and i won't be going back there.

Hello, welcome! Yes, I think there's an art to giving constructive feedback which not many people seem to have a firm grasp of.

Hey Loke! Thank you for the warm welcome! I think bombarding the writer you are critiquing with so many specifics off of a simple piece is a good example of that. Like I said I have no problem with criticism, but I think some people should dial it down a bit!

Hi there, and welcome to the site. Thanks for your comment on my post.

I believe a good crit gets a writer excited to move on to the next draft--and that crit should always be a sandwich: what is Good -> what could use work<- , and What is Good. I always tell my students to identify at least two good things in the work they're critiquing, and to never be personal or rude.

It always helps when you specify your crit-tolerance. Some can handle delicate wash, others can take medium, and some can take the heat and stress of denim. Giving crit online, I'd always recommend erring on the side of delicate wash, because we don't know what the writer can handle.

Hi Neem!

No problem in commenting on your post. Thank you for commenting on mine! '

You are absolutely write, after reading their critiques, I felt defeated, like a failure. I wasn't excited to put their ideas into practice and add in my style with their advice. I don't think they were personal or rude, but just too technical for such a beginner such as myself. And it was POETRY. I mean, I know there are certain rules with that, but isn't that all interpretative? Why are they tearing down my work, stanza by stanza? It seemed like a little much.

I like the idea of delicate wash, I think the moderators of that site should take that into consideration. But no worries! I won't be going back there anymore. I just hope I can get my money back! (I stupidly paid for a subscription because I was so excited about writing).