• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Adding Emotional Depth

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
Emotional depth is subtle. It's not something where you can write a paragraph and be done with it. It's woven throughout the story.

I have a scene near the middle of the book where a character mentions a sunset, and how it reminds her of her father, who's dead. Then near the end of the book, she asks the main character if he remembers when she talked about the sunset. He does, mentioning it's about her father. But she shakes her head, and said it now reminds her of a horrific event that the MC did. It's subtle, but it alludes to the internal struggle that she went through along the way, that the MC didn't know about (or you) until now. Due to her personality, there's a lot of silence, and the MC trying to figure out what to say. Framing scenes is as important as the emotion you're trying to convey. A character staring at the pocketwatch of their dead father can show more emotion than crying.

For the MC, it has a lot to do with throwing them down the proverbial stairs. We seem someone's character through strife: that's your chance to really show the emotional depth of your MC. And it doesn't always have to be "good" emotion. Perhaps during a painful situation, the MC makes a wrong choice with great consequences, when he thinks he's doing the right choice. And you show how he deals with it. Not only the physical pain he goes through, but the emotional.

---

On a side, stylistic note. My emotional scenes are often coupled with something in the environment. Often a subtle metaphor of their emotions. Rather than a character simply saying what they're feeling to someone else, try to incorporate some clever environment or objects. I had a character come to a realization about their broken self when a certain kind of insect lands on his hand, and he realize how similar he is to that insects behaviors.

Last edited: