Gunshot wound to thigh... need your insights.

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Please forgive a newbie question. I do hope I have correctly followed the guidelines for the post.

My character is a modern day police officer in his 30's. Very athletic, brash and strong.

My *need* is for him to be shot during a drug bust in such a manner as to severely (even critically) wound him, and to face a protracted recovery where he requires physical therapy and an effort to get back to normal. I don't care what caliber of weapon is used.. as long as I get the desired end results.

I had been thinking of a gunshot wound to the thigh which nicks (but does not sever) the femoral artery and breaks (but does not shatter) his femur. The research I've done suggests that he would require at least three surgeries, one to repair the artery, one to set the femur, and possibly a third to repair any muscle damage.

The focus of my story is the after effect of this event. The way in which my MC's critical wounding affects his life-partner emotionally/psychologically, and the way their relationship is challenged by his ongoing struggle to recover use of his leg.

My question is: Is this scenario possible? I want to write fiction, not science fiction.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan

David Barbur

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jan.

I'm a former police officer and have more experience with gun shot wounds than I'd like.

Your scenario is totally plausible. What is most plausible about your scenario is "face a protracted recovery where he requires physical therapy and an effort to get back to normal." We see all too often characters in movies, TV shows and books getting shot, with a very short recovery time, and little or no lingering disabilities.

The reality is, getting shot is a big deal. Every one I've know that has been shot has some lingering disability, even ones that were shot with small caliber handguns with non-expanding projectiles.

A bullet wound that nicks, but doesn't sever his femoral artery and breaks, but doesn't shatter his femur is plausible. Somebody who received such a wound literally cheated death by a matter of millimeters. I'm not medically savvy enough to tell you exactly the number of surgeries that somebody would need after that, but three certainly sounds plausible, and in line with what I've seen happen in real life.

I'd expect such a wound to come from a "service caliber" type handgun like a 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP, or potentially a intermediate power rifle round like the 7.62x39mm that is commonly fired from an AK-47 or SKS (both of which happen to be popular among drug dealers). If you want to really get into the weeds I'd make it a full metal jacket round instead of a hollowpoint or soft point, as that makes a narrower wound track more plausible.

Based on our experiences in recent wars, it's become common practice for police officers to carry a tourniquet and gun shot wound bandage (click to see links) to self apply. Even a "nicked" femoral artery is a big deal, and I'd expect that to survive that, either the MC or one of his buddies on the entry team would apply a tq pretty quick.

As far as how that would affect the MC, cops tend to be athletic, alpha type people. Suddenly being disabled, unable to walk and needing the help of other people is a big switch and hard to take. Also, there's an unconscious feeling of invulnerability that comes with the job and training. You're tactically superior to the average scrote on the street, but all they have to do is get lucky once.

I actually touched on this in the book I'm about to publish: "The thought nobody wanted to talk about, the thing that kept us up at night, staring a hole in the ceiling, was that you could have all the right gear, be trained like a Delta Force ninja, make all the right moves, and still die from a bullet out of a $50 pistol fired by some street punk who shut his eyes when he jerked the trigger."

Another angle you might want to think about is that the pain from this sort of thing is incredible, and it's not uncommon for people to come out of needing to be weaned off of opiod pain killers.

Coming within a few millimeters of dying is a really strong predictor for developing PTSD. Here's an excellent article on police stress in general.

This can be devastating to a relationship. The life partner is dealing with almost loosing their loved one, having to suddenly become their nurse/helper, and all the associated secondary trauma.

You may really find the book "Deadly Force Encounters" by Loren Christensen and Alexis Artwohl. Loren is an acquaintance of mine and has been in more real fights than most people have seen on TV. Dr. Artwohl has saved dozens of careers, marriages and even lives.

Hope that helps!

Good luck on your project.

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
I can't TELL you how much this helps me!! Or how grateful I am, both for your insight AND for your service.

You hit the nail exactly on the head. My MC is exactly as you described in his sense of invulnerability, an invulnerability his partner also tends to trust in to some extent. So they both receive a huge psychological jolt from this event and it's subsequent challenges, which is a lot of the plot of my story. My MC refuses to take opiates. He's scared to death of becoming addicted.. another source of stress for both of them. And I had already researched the absolute necessity of applying a tourniquet (the detective with him who subdues the gunman will apply one) and quickly getting him to an ER.

I had thought, and as a former officer you may know this... that an ambulance might be on 'stand-by' since they knew this would be a tricky arrest which posed specific dangers. Maybe you could tell me if that makes sense.

I will absolutely read the article on police stress as it is right up my ally and I will also grab the book.

Again, let me thank you for your help. I'm so grateful.

Jan

PS. Have ordered the book on Amazon. Can't wait to read it!

Last edited:

David Barbur

Registered
Reaction score
I had thought, and as a former officer you may know this... that an ambulance might be on 'stand-by' since they knew this would be a tricky arrest which posed specific dangers. Maybe you could tell me if that makes sense.

Hey Jan,

I'm glad that helped.

Regarding your question about an ambulance on standby, the only time I've seen that done as a matter of course is during things like full blown SWAT operation like a barricaded suspect where shots have been fired, or a hostage rescue.

It sounds like your guy got shot doing a high risk search warrant entry. I don't recall having an ambulance on standby for those, but it's entirely possible that it might happen.

What kind of jurisdiction is this? If it's a large police department in a major metropolitan area, it's actually unlikely that the dope detectives would also be the entry team. They would develop the case and hand the intelligence off to a dedicated SWAT Team who would hit the house/structure, secure it, and then hand it off to detectives for the secondary search for evidence. It's possible they might have an ambulance staged for an entry like that.

In a more rural setting, the dope investigators might also double as the entry team, and in fact it might be more likely they would coordinate with the local fire and EMS services to have an ambulance close. I worked in a major metro area and we could have fire and EMS on scene within a few minutes. In someplace like Montana or Wyoming, that response time might be much, much longer, so they might make sure and have medical staged nearby.

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
My initial premise is that the shooting is the result of an informant drug buy which goes horribly wrong. My MC is part of the campus police force in Charlottesville, VA. He had been tasked with supervising the student informant component of an ongoing drug investigation and hadn't expected to even be present during the drug buy... but, mainly because he's an Irish cop with a huge ego, he ends up doing so. He and a member of the city police force, who are actually running the investigation, end up being there when it goes wrong, and my MC is shot when they try to intervene and save the student.

I'm not familiar enough with police tactics to know if this premise is valid. If it's not.. I'll figure out another way to get him shot. God, that sounds horrible even to ME! Jeez, I love this guy. It's my second book with these characters and hurting him is really painful to me. BUT.. he's exactly the kind of man who would struggle the most with the after effects of such an incident, and that's what I want to explore.

I'm saving every word you write to me as part of my research and, again, I can't thank you enough for your amazing insight.

Jan

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
The research I've done suggests that he would require at least three surgeries, one to repair the artery, one to set the femur, and possibly a third to repair any muscle damage.

Jan
There's a few things from the surgical standpoint.

1. The femoral artery isn't just hanging out there on it's own. It's in a fascial sheath along with the femoral nerve, femoral vein and lymphatics. If the artery is nicked, there's a good chance the others are.

2. Femur broken but not shattered...easily explainable with a low velocity round (most handguns excluding most magnums)

3. Muscle damage is normally not a major player in low velocity firearm projectiles. If you want significant muscle damage from a firearm projectile it sort of has to be high velocity because it's the shockwave moreso than direct injury that damages the soft tissues. A high velocity round is much more likely to shatter the bone. A low velocity round is not likely to cause much in the way of muscle damage. So you really should pick one. A low velocity round is your better choice if you want the character to walk again at some point.

The surgeries that you allude to would be done at the same setting most likely. First would be the vascular surgery and if necessary doing something about the femoral nerve and then if the patient is stable, then the ortho people would come in and probably pin the bone. If there are concerns about the vascular repair it is conceivable that they might immobilize the leg with traction and wait a day or two for ortho surgery

Recovery will depend on the bone healing and how damaged the femoral nerve was when the femoral artery was nicked. That very well may be a couple months on the rehab floor of a hospital or transfer to a rehab facility or depending upon locale and insurance possibly extended out patient rehab. In a good scenario your character might believably be back to desk duty in 6 months on on the beat in 9.

Last edited:

David Barbur

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jan,

Let me make sure I understand: Your MC and his buddy from the city PD are monitoring a drug buy from their confidential informant. Something happens that places the CI in jeopardy, and your MC and his bud decide to pull a John Wayne and charge in to save the informant before any kind of back up arises. The MC gets shot for his trouble.

Do I have that right? Because if I do, that works. Essentially your MC and his bud are conducting an ad hoc hostage rescue on the fly, which explains why they'd be making an entry with out the benefit of a SWAT team and such.

There wouldn't be an ambulance standing by for that. Just two cops sitting in a car, listening to the CI's wire and drinking cold coffee.

suziquaif

Registered
Reaction score

David Barbur

Registered
Reaction score
Also, while in the movies and tv frequently show the CI wearing some kind of electronic wire, that isn't necessarily how it will go. They could send the CI go in with some money, buy the dope and come back. They then take his statement that he bought dope from so and so, use that to get a search warrant, then hit the house. They photocopy the money before the buy, so they have the serial numbers.

So their first clue that something is wrong might be that the CI has been in the house for much longer than it should take, and decide to sneak up and investigate.

Last edited:

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
I KNOW!! I hate doing this to them. LOL! But.. it's the only way to get where I want to go. Thank you so much for the links! I will investigate them right away.

Jan

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly!! That's it exactly!!! He's worried about the student an off he goes. And god knows I LOVE how you put it being a huge John Wayne fan, which is probably why Colin (the MC) is the way he is.

Oh god.. well, he'll just have to settle for the tourniquet and a high dose of Irish luck.

Thank you so very much!!

Jan

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderful information!! I'll do more research on the femoral nerve but what you say here sounds a lot like what I want to have happen, since most of my plot focuses on the recovery part of this incident.

Jan

David Barbur

Registered
Reaction score
Again, you're welcome. Would very much like to read this when it comes out. Good on you for trying to inject some verisimilitude in your story. I read quite a bit of crime fiction that makes me cringe.

Sounds like GeorgeK has his medical info dialed in. His point about a low velocity "service pistol" type handgun round being least likely to shatter the femur is spot on. My 7.62x39mm example above would much more likely splinter the femur, so I'd go with the handgun option.

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I just can't tell you how valuable this information is to me. What a blessing having a police officer on this forum!!

I'd done a bit.. quite a bit actually... of research on informants and yeah.. 'wire' seems to be pretty much old hat so I made sure I didn't use that term.

I'm thrilled and flattered that you're interested in reading my story once it's done. Wow. Thank you!!

Jan

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Even "nicking" the femoral artery would be very problematical. That's a bad thing to damage, even in a seemingly small way. Breaking the femur, with all the attendant muscle damage, would be very serious, and require a long recovery, without involving the femoral artery.

caw

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying and my research suggests that in many if not most cases... you're right. But.. I need that piece of it to make the injury life threatening. Part of my plot line deals with how his partner is affected by almost losing him, carrying that experience forward into the officer's recovery process, the PT etc... how their relationship is forced to change in the light of this experience.

Thanks so much for the input...

Jan

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Might switch to a knee being shot. Have your officer need a knee replacement, plenty of off-duty time and physical therapy. A shattered hip works too, or pelvis break. It is really hard to nick a femoral artery and not have sever blood loss.

As for your ambulance, it would normally be only a few minutes out if it's available, so one on standby isn't really needed. They tend to roll faster for officers in need anyway.

For the life-threatening part, give him a serious infection or sepsis.

Jeff

Last edited:

jarrellj

Registered
Reaction score
So many wonderful replies... given me so much to think about. Thank you, Jeff. I'm really grateful. I'll read more on the sepsis/infection aspect.. done some but need more.

Again, thank you.