How full is a 'full' synopsis when requested alongside the complete ms?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
After querying, I've had 4 requests from different agents for a 'full' synopsis alongside the full ms. On the 'fuller' side, I have 3, 5, and 7 page versions of my synopsis I can send. All of the agents want the synopsis pasted into the same Word document, before starting the book. Should I send the longest synopsis? It has all the details, though all of them contain the major spoilers.

One of the agents also wants a one sentence summary of the book in my return e-mail. Is this the same things as a log-line?

Thanks!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
The length isn't what makes a synopsis full.

What they're talking about is that you tell the beginning, middle and end and leave no surprises. Put all the important "spoilers" in there, unlike the query where you raise the questions and show the stakes, but don't tell the ending.

If no length is mentioned, go with 2-3 pages. No more. Get it down to 1 page, single-spaced, if you can.

Last edited:

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Shorter synopsis, the better, no more than 250 words unless specified. All the big plot points need to be included. The synopsis should give an idea of the central conflict and exactly how it is resolved.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
The length isn't what makes a synopsis full.

What they're talking about is that you tell the beginning, middle and end and leave no surprises. Put all the important "spoilers" in there, unlike the query where you raise the questions and show the stakes, but don't tell the ending.

If no length is mentioned, go with 2-3 pages. No more. Get it down to 1 page, single-spaced, if you can.

Ok, I have a 2 pager I can use, thanks!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
250 is a bit short. Synopses are generally single spaced so 250 would be only about 1/3 of a page. 2 pages should be fine.

Also, a one sentence summary probably is a logline. (Not the "X meets Y in peculiar setting" type, but the kind that sets out main character, inciting incident, goals, conflict and consequences.)

Best of luck.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shorter synopsis, the better, no more than 250 words unless specified. All the big plot points need to be included. The synopsis should give an idea of the central conflict and exactly how it is resolved.

I think you're thinking of queries, which tend to be 250 words or less. Synopses run anywhere between 2 to 4 pages, depending on the genre and wordcount.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
250 is a bit short. Synopses are generally single spaced so 250 would be only about 1/3 of a page. 2 pages should be fine.

Also, a one sentence summary probably is a logline. (Not the "X meets Y in peculiar setting" type, but the kind that sets out main character, inciting incident, goals, conflict and consequences.)

Best of luck.

Thanks! Nerves...

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Don't stress it too much. It's wonderful that you've had so many requests. Good luck!

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
250 is rather short and you can go up to 350-400.

Just that in my specific/ subjective experience in my group, the ones who've got agents so far have very short synopses, and also, at first novel competitions they ask for a one-pager.

Don't stress too much about this, because you've already received requests. The sequence of events and motivations is what you need to focus on--agents need to know that the story is within your control--that you know exactly how and why one plot point leads to another in the story.

All the best with this, and please let us know how it goes. Rooting for you.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
250 is rather short and you can go up to 350-400.

Just that in my specific/ subjective experience in my group, the ones who've got agents so far have very short synopses, and also, at first novel competitions they ask for a one-pager.

Don't stress too much about this, because you've already received requests. The sequence of events and motivations is what you need to focus on--agents need to know that the story is within your control--that you know exactly how and why one plot point leads to another in the story.

All the best with this, and please let us know how it goes. Rooting for you.

When an agent asks for the FULL manuscript, plus a synopsis they don't want to see the same 250 summary you put in the query. Because they already read the 250-ish one you had in the query.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
The word 'synopsis' is sometimes used for the 250-word hook in a query letter, which (drives me crazy) is confusing since it's also the word for the 1-2 page (or longer in some cases) which spells out all the important details of the main plot.

In the former, you wouldn't give away the ending, and in the latter you wouldn't leave out the ending. In both, you keep the characters listed to a minimum and keep quiet about the subplots as much as possible, especially in the 250-word hook.

If contests are judged based on a 'synopsis,' I expect they're referring to the shorter hook, not the kind that spells out the entire plot. All I've ever seen in contests was that shorter hook.

I agree that once you get to the full manuscript request stage, it's the longer synopsis they want to see (1-2 pages generally).

For the one-sentence summary, look at your GMC (goal, motivation and conflict) and try to boil that down into a compelling line, including the stakes.

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
You can easily go 1,000 on a synopsis. The key thing with them is to make sure you tell your story and make it plausible. You don't want to get so worried about word count that you're passing up details that allow your plot to make sense.

Also, if you're getting requests, they're sort of interested in the story. They aren't going to shun your requested pages because your synopsis is too long. Just make sure it tells your story in a compelling, effective way, and don't get caught up on formatting or anything of the sort.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
You can easily go 1,000 on a synopsis. The key thing with them is to make sure you tell your story and make it plausible. You don't want to get so worried about word count that you're passing up details that allow your plot to make sense.

Also, if you're getting requests, they're sort of interested in the story. They aren't going to shun your requested pages because your synopsis is too long. Just make sure it tells your story in a compelling, effective way, and don't get caught up on formatting or anything of the sort.

Thanks! I do have a tendency to get bogged down in word count, and to stress about it. I've never had so many requests for a book before (23 agent reqs off Pitmad, with 9 requests for fulls so far after sending them the query and pages. Plus, I began querying this book in July and have had an additional 3 full reqs off that first round). I don't want to blow my chances! I do wonder if this is like getting a ton of Emmy nominations and walking away without the award. My book is far from perfect, but it's the best I could make it after self-edits, beta readers and more edits.

Today I'm starting a new book, settling in for the long-haul wait. Thanks for the advice.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
The word 'synopsis' is sometimes used for the 250-word hook in a query letter, which (drives me crazy) is confusing since it's also the word for the 1-2 page (or longer in some cases) which spells out all the important details of the main plot.

In the former, you wouldn't give away the ending, and in the latter you wouldn't leave out the ending. In both, you keep the characters listed to a minimum and keep quiet about the subplots as much as possible, especially in the 250-word hook.

If contests are judged based on a 'synopsis,' I expect they're referring to the shorter hook, not the kind that spells out the entire plot. All I've ever seen in contests was that shorter hook.

I agree that once you get to the full manuscript request stage, it's the longer synopsis they want to see (1-2 pages generally).

For the one-sentence summary, look at your GMC (goal, motivation and conflict) and try to boil that down into a compelling line, including the stakes.

Thanks! I've gone for the 2 page synopsis for those who didn't specify. A new 'full' request asked for a one-page, specifically, so I sent him that one. Gah...

I think I botched the one-liner, but time will tell. :)

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
A 2-page synopsis is absolutely fine. Mine was 3, and just under 1000 words. I consider it a little long, but no one dinged me for it or ever had a problem with it otherwise. Now that I think about it, I don't think any of the offering agents ever saw it!

Sounds like you're on a roll. Good luck!

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
23 requests! Wow. That's so impressive!
Kind of curious/nosy about your Twitter pitch. Could you share it with us? (No worries if you'd rather not!)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
23 requests! Wow. That's so impressive!
Kind of curious/nosy about your Twitter pitch. Could you share it with us? (No worries if you'd rather not!)

No probs in sharing privately. I used my real name Twitter account to pitch, and I like to keep that private. I'll PM you. :)

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the stunning number of requests, Pisco! Sounds very promising!!

Oh, and whiporee and Jeneral make good points above. What matters most is that your story makes sense and you have all the important twists, turns, and reveals. When I said 1-2 pages, that meant single-spaced, in agreement with Myrealana's advice. So, closer to 3 pages if double-spaced. My synopsis was almost 1.5 pages single-spaced and it worked for my agent.

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the stunning number of requests, Pisco! Sounds very promising!!

Oh, and whiporee and Jeneral make good points above. What matters most is that your story makes sense and you have all the important twists, turns, and reveals. When I said 1-2 pages, that meant single-spaced, in agreement with Myrealana's advice. So, closer to 3 pages if double-spaced. My synopsis was almost 1.5 pages single-spaced and it worked for my agent.

Thanks, Ragged. I've opted to send my two-pager (single spaced) unless told otherwise. I've had two more requests for fulls today, without asking for a syn and now I feel like giving them one anyway. LOL. Thing is, I don't know whether to continue querying the agents on my list, or wait for the rejections to come in. If I do end up getting an offer down the line, and I haven't queried the agents I would also love to be represented by, I don't think I can send them a query and say, 'oh, by the way, please read this super quickly because I have another offer'. Know what I mean? But I've got so many requested queries and fulls 'out there' right now it feels weird to query more agents. With my other novels I've never queried more than 7 or 8 at a time. Not quite sure what to do. Part of me wants to wait and see if I get reject feedback before I query, the other part thinks I should query because I might get an offer and then I haven't asked these 3 other agents if they'd consider repping me. Hmmm.

ETA: I didn't query these agents in first round because I've been suffering from a crisis of confidence after all the rejections for last novel (still unsold and trunked, probably forever and ever and ever). I was sure my top dream agents would reject me straight away, but then Brooks Sherman (he was one of my 'tops') 'liked' one of my pitches and now I'm feeling a wee bit more positive.

Last edited:

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Pisco Sour, please go ahead and query the others on your list. If you receive an offer, you can then inform everyone else. Pretty standard practice, really. Your multiple full requests prove you have something good in your hands.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I continued to query, even when I had fulls out because some of them took months to get back to me and there was not really a point in just waiting for a year to get a bunch of rejections before continuing. (Obviously, that's worst case scenario.)

It's clear that the query letter is effective and, barring super-insightful notes and a request for an R&R, your MS is as ready as it can be. I wouldn't rush to query the rest of the list, but I would continue to send out 5-10 queries every couple of weeks while you wait.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
You absolutely want to keep querying. If you get an offer, you'll send those queries a nudge, and if they're interested they'll request. It sounds like you're on a major roll, but you don't want to put everything on hold while you wait, you know?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, oh gurus of AW! If I knew how to do the multiple quote thingy, I would. I'm going to take your advice and continue querying. At least the experience has shown I have effective Twitter pitches and enticing query letters (couldn't settle on one, so I'm using two entirely different styles). Of course I'm hoping for an offer--please, God, an offer!--but I've been in this business long enough to know how easy it is to lose somebody between one paragraph and the next.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
For synopses, I use my single-spaced one-pager as my default unless the sub guidelines specifically ask for a longer one. But a wee bit of that is definitely me just being proud to have got it down to one page, haha.

I see zero problems with a two-pager as default, as long as it fits the guidelines.

Good luck with querying! I'm rooting for you!