Angry Robot 2017 Open Door

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Do you have any idea of what is the acceptance/offer rate? Say 1200 submissions to sign 5 authors?

I'm doing some risk assessment :)

There's absolutely no way of saying. The year I got signed through this, I was the only one. Some years they've taken a couple of people, some years no one at all.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
I haven't submitted anything in years. (Nor have I posted to these forums.) But I just today (12/14) sent Angry Robot my best SF novel. Might as well play the publishing lottery one more time...

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Updated:

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome
Anarchic Q
SF
December 1st
BlueLobster
SF
December 3rd
MARothman
SF
November 1st
kaysaFantasyNovember 21st
ArcsWTFNovember 16th
BlinkerBotSpace OperaNovember 1st
RaindropWTFDecember 10th
ErinSFDecember 10th
C.M. Dahmer
SF
December 5th
Dryad
Space Opera
November 27th
Usefulidiot
SF
December 12th
Camaria
Fantasy
December 4th
AJ_Writes
FantasyNovember 6th
chracatoa
SF
December 14th
RemusShepherd
SF
December 14th
DJGuest
WTF
November 16th

Last edited:

DJGuest

Dear A_G_E_N_T, I read your rej...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
darrenjguest.wordpress.com
Howdy peeps. I shall throw my hat into the ring with a WTF I submitted on the 16th of November. Good luck everyone!

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I really wanted to submit, but my MS still needs polishing. Could I submit the same MS this year, and if it gets rejected, a better version next year too?

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
I really wanted to submit, but my MS still needs polishing. Could I submit the same MS this year, and if it gets rejected, a better version next year too?

Afraid not. You would need to choose this year or possibly next year if they run open submissions again - sometimes they skip a year. I'd recommend polishing it as much as you can before submitting since it really has to be strong to get picked up. You've spent so much effort writing it it seems to shame to rush things at the last minute when it is not yet as good as you can make it, and while waiting for the next open submission period you could try and land an agent.

crystalizing

Registered
Reaction score

Their FAQ for this year explicitly says NO to that. I don't know if they use the same rules every time they do it - but this year at least they said anything previously submitted is an automatic rejection (even if substantially re-written).

I admit I am in the same boat as you but I will be submitting mine (I asked about future open doors on the comments section of the submission page and they said they don't know if or when they will hold another one so if I am interested I should go ahead and submit).

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The odds at first blush are 1/500 or thereabouts. Another year of polishing makes the manuscript better, but the odds will still be 1/500.

There will be other options in a year, too.

My manuscript will never be completely polished, but I'm popping it in on the deadline, even though it won't be 'as good as it can be.'

I am looking forward to rejection, so I can get on with the business. Having said that, I know I wrote something good. It's not done, but it's exactly right.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The odds at first blush are 1/500 or thereabouts. Another year of polishing makes the manuscript better, but the odds will still be 1/500.

There will be other options in a year, too.

My manuscript will never be completely polished, but I'm popping it in on the deadline, even though it won't be 'as good as it can be.'

I am looking forward to rejection, so I can get on with the business. Having said that, I know I wrote something good. It's not done, but it's exactly right.

1/500 would be the odds if it was an entirely random process and the editors were only acquiring one manuscript from 500 submitted.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! yes, excellent point. Isn't math (and statistics) fantastic?

I would be thrilled to be in the top 10 percentile, but this year or next I doubt I will be in the top 0.2 percentile. (1/500) no matter how polished. If my bones are good, that's worth something, the polish may be something akin to a pipe dream.

Every endeavor has an element that is beyond our control. That's part of the really cool inter-relational quality of the human experience.

The value to me personally - - to submitting this year - -is getting it right, not worrying about the judgment. And moving on.

Everyone that is considering it has to do their own calculus.

Last edited:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Updated:

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome
Anarchic Q
SF
December 1st
BlueLobster
SF
December 3rd
MARothman
SF
November 1st
ArcsWTFNovember 16th
RaindropWTFDecember 10th
ErinSFDecember 10th
C.M. Dahmer
SF
December 5th
Dryad
Space Opera
November 27th
Usefulidiot
SF
December 12th
Camaria
Fantasy
December 4th
AJ_Writes
FantasyNovember 6th
chracatoa
SF
December 14th
RemusShepherd
SF
December 14th
DJGuest
WTF
November 16th
Harlequin
WFT
December 17th

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Probably not. That's generally frowned upon.

Afraid not. You would need to choose this year or possibly next year if they run open submissions again - sometimes they skip a year. I'd recommend polishing it as much as you can before submitting since it really has to be strong to get picked up. You've spent so much effort writing it it seems to shame to rush things at the last minute when it is not yet as good as you can make it, and while waiting for the next open submission period you could try and land an agent.

Their FAQ for this year explicitly says NO to that. I don't know if they use the same rules every time they do it - but this year at least they said anything previously submitted is an automatic rejection (even if substantially re-written).

I admit I am in the same boat as you but I will be submitting mine (I asked about future open doors on the comments section of the submission page and they said they don't know if or when they will hold another one so if I am interested I should go ahead and submit).

Thanks for the replies, all! Looks like I'm holding on for another year!

AngryCumbrian

Registered
Reaction score
My Fantasy submission went in on the 15th. To celebrate I got myself an early chrimbo prezzie of Scrivener 3 and pasted my word submission back into it to have a play around. Sound plan... but I've discovered half a dozen weird typos in Scriv 3 that word is ignoring (mac 365 and Windows 2016) and I've also not picked up on them in editing with missing a squiggle. Sooo anyone yet to submit - check it again is the lesson =P. I've resubmitted again and feel happier (despite my numptiness) so time will tell on that.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Updated:

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome
Anarchic Q
SF
December 1st
BlueLobster
SF
December 3rd
MARothman
SF
November 1st
ArcsWTFNovember 16th
RaindropWTFDecember 10th
ErinSFDecember 10th
C.M. Dahmer
SF
December 5th
Dryad
Space Opera
November 27th
Usefulidiot
SF
December 12th
Camaria
Fantasy
December 4th
AJ_Writes
FantasyNovember 6th
chracatoa
SF
December 14th
RemusShepherd
SF
December 14th
DJGuest
WTF
November 16th
Harlequin
WFT
December 17th
AngryCumbrian
Fantasy
December 15th

BlueLobster

New Lobster; Anxious About Boxes
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, you can resubmit? I found a typo, but I wasn't sure of or how we could do thay.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna be submitting here by the end of this week, just doing a few housekeeping things before I upload.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Updated:

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome
Anarchic Q
SF
December 1st
BlueLobster
SF
December 3rd
MARothman
SF
November 1st
ArcsWTFNovember 16th
RaindropWTFDecember 10th
ErinSFDecember 10th
C.M. Dahmer
SF
December 5th
Dryad
Space Opera
November 27th
Usefulidiot
SF
December 12th
Camaria
Fantasy
December 4th
AJ_Writes
FantasyNovember 6th
chracatoa
SF
December 14th
RemusShepherd
SF
December 14th
DJGuest
WTF
November 16th
Harlequin
WFT
December 17th
AngryCumbrianFantasyDecember 15th
crystalizing
WTF
December 20th

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Alright, my hat is finally in the ring! Submitted my science fiction today (Dec 21). Maybe I'll get some solstice magic! :D

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Really fretting my synopsis here for this contest, it's stopped my from submitting all week. :(

EDIT: Good luck on all the submissions this week.