Angry Robot 2017 Open Door

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Well, might as well give it (another) shot. MS6 is ripe for the submitting, I think! I do have some edits I want to make, and surely I can find time for that in the next two months. Right??? (She says for the third month in a row.)

VileZero

This is not for you
Registered
Reaction score
This thread made my day! I've been diligently (but also probably too slowly...) working on my manuscript for a while. This is just the fire I needed to push me to work harder, faster, and better. I always seem to catch these kind of threads too late, but this time I have plenty of time to get cracking! Plus, Angry Robot is awesome - I never would have discovered Paul S. Kemp, Chuck Wendig, or Chris Holm if it weren't for them. I love the stuff they put out!

Good luck to everyone submitting this year! Hope I will be joining along with you!

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I plan on trying for it, too.

Proper motivation to get the edits and polish done.

laridaes

Registered
Reaction score
I am in! After Hodderscape I vowed not to do this again to myself, but heck looking back it was a great experience and I did last to almost the last. Been reading a few AR books lately and I'm right in line, I think.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I submitted to last year's Open Door and got an R. It was a great experience though.

This year, I don't think I have anything remotely ready, alas. I'd love to try again.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Hey guys, Angry Robot are looking to interview someone for their website who has entered their Open Door in the past and is trying again this time around - any takers?

GeoWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to the last two open doors with Angry Robot. The project I would submit this time I feel is a bit weaker than the other 2 (rejected) submissions, due to complexities of multiple POV. I suppose though that what is weaker in some ways might be stronger in others... I'm still debating whether I should submit.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I submitted to the last two open doors with Angry Robot. The project I would submit this time I feel is a bit weaker than the other 2 (rejected) submissions, due to complexities of multiple POV. I suppose though that what is weaker in some ways might be stronger in others... I'm still debating whether I should submit.

No harm in sending it in. Don't self-reject!

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Hey guys, Angry Robot are looking to interview someone for their website who has entered their Open Door in the past and is trying again this time around - any takers?

Sure, as long as they aren't looking for anything more insightful than "try, try again."

GeoWriter

Registered
Reaction score

Yes, probably good advice, although each submission takes a couple hours to prepare even if I have materials that require only a bit of rephrasing.

Enshanta

Registered
Reaction score

I'm going to go for it, EMaree! Sound advice.
I have one chapter left to finish - I think I can complete that plus final editing in time for the deadline. And if/when the big fat 'R' comes, at least I'll be ready to start sending elsewhere.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Harlequin - Marc Gascoigne at Angry Robot has answered this one in the comments: "Manuscripts out on submission elsewhere are fine. Just ensure you withdraw the submission from our Submittable sight (you’ll see in due course, when it opens) if you sell it."
So you are good to go!

Eilyfe

Registered
Reaction score
This is great. I might try my luck come November.

DougR.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I actually got here from there, so, yep, I'm taking the plunge. It'll be my first submission to anyone ever.

Last edited:

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I like this publisher. Years ago, I submitted one of my SF books during their Open Door period and made it to the final round (apparently my submission caused a "furious debate" in the office!) but they ultimately passed. In all my interactions with them I found them very professional and friendly people.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear they ultimately passed, The Otter. But you also made it really far, so there must have been something in there.

Editing and revising the manuscript for this thing is driving me insane. I know I can't be the only one. I need to remember I have through December and not November.

DougR.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm trying to decide if it's better to submit early or at the deadline, and if I should split my story and stop at 74k words or try to do the whole thing under the 130k limit.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
If you've got betas lined up, I would mention those concerns to them specifically.

theoretically it's better to wait till the last minute... but... I would argue that you do add a lot of time to that, as in it'll probably take over a year instead of a few months to get read (assuming they're done in order), and also risk reader fatigue.

It sounds like you may need as much extra time as possible, to fit in two betas and revisions though.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
As far as your chances are concerned it doesn't make the blind bit of difference when in the window you submit, as long as you get it in before the closing date. I wouldn't count on them reading in received order either, from the tracking thread we had last year it didn't look like they were doing that.

Good luck all!

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
As far as your chances are concerned it doesn't make the blind bit of difference when in the window you submit, as long as you get it in before the closing date. I wouldn't count on them reading in received order either, from the tracking thread we had last year it didn't look like they were doing that.

Good luck all!

Then I'm using all the time I have. (Not waiting until the last minute though because that's just asking for trouble.)

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up Pete - you are a legend.

Do you know how often do they do these Open Doors?