ArcsWTFNovember 16th
BlinkerBot
Space Opera
November 1st

MARothman

Cat Herder, Engineer, Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
More as a point of curiosity, this question is to those who had won in prior Open Door sessions:

How much content editing (and editing changes in general) did you end up seeing from what you'd originally submitted?

I'd posit that they had to have loved the premise and execution already to have picked it, so it would be hard for me to imagine there'd have been any substantive changes in the content/structural side of things, or were there? Sure various line edits/copy edits are often subject to whims and things can always be reworded if there's an editorial preference, but I suppose I'm most curious about structural edits - were there much?

Last edited:

crystalizing

Registered
Reaction score
More as a point of curiosity, this question is to those who had won in prior Open Door sessions:

How much content editing (and editing changes in general) did you end up seeing from what you'd originally submitted?

I'd posit that they had to have loved the premise and execution already to have picked it, so it would be hard for me to imagine there'd have been any substantive changes in the content/structural side of things, or were there? Sure various line edits/copy edits are often subject to whims and things can always be reworded if there's an editorial preference, but I suppose I'm most curious about structural edits - were there much?

I had asked a similar question and someone answered me with post #92 http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...-Open-Door&p=10317632&viewfull=1#post10317632 that I found helpful.

MARothman

Cat Herder, Engineer, Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that, but it was a generic response. Mine's more specific. For past selectees, what was their direct experience on the item that got them picked.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
That would be me, then :)

Edits were thorough but not drastic. The biggest thing they changed was the title, which needed it.

I tend to write pretty lean, and most of the editorial feedback I got was about parts that needed to be expanded, plot threads that needed drawing out more to give my MC more agency, and that sort of thing. My original MS of what is now Drake was 77k when I submitted it to the Open Door, and I think the final published version is about 81k.

So yeah, you're right - no major changes to the overal structure, no characters cut or added or anything like that.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Updated:

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome
Anarchic Q
SF
December 1st
BlueLobster
SF
December 3rd
MARothman
SF
November 1st
kaysaFantasyNovember 21st
ArcsWTFNovember 16th
BlinkerBotSpace OperaNovember 1st
Raindrop
WTF
December 10th

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Been lurking on this thread for a while and glad I stumbled upon it. I subbed a SF today - Dec 10.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Updated:

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome
Anarchic Q
SF
December 1st
BlueLobster
SF
December 3rd
MARothman
SF
November 1st
ArcsWTFNovember 16th
RaindropWTFDecember 10th
Erin
SF
December 10th

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
Hey, everybody. I submitted a space opera on 11/27.

PeteMC, I saw your Twitter post via Angry Robot, so I swung by.

AngryCumbrian

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto =P
I'm still working on my last edit for my Dark Fantasy Novel as the original novel I started sending out in October was 241k. I liked the sound of the open door, but frankly thought no fecking way, despite having a natural break around 144k. The editing comments are pretty interesting as I've seen a few threads on twitter/facebook recently and thought for the cost of some time it may be doable as a challenge and improve what material I had and was happy with several weeks ago.

So in terms of pruning I'm now running around 129k, having added in chapter headings and some front matter in my book one. The pruned material will become the bulk of my book three, and it makes the next book and next character arc easier to write up as a standalone novel and the arc merger being the end of the trilogy. I'd envisaged series, rather than trilogy, but the process of being harsh, then brutal with editing seems to be helping with padding, which seems unfashionable at the moment.

Good luck to everyone else submitting.

Camaria

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted my fantasy on Dec 4th. Exciting to have this thread to follow!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey, welcome aboard new folks!

I said it last year, I should get commission for this... :)

Updated:

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome
Anarchic Q
SF
December 1st
BlueLobster
SF
December 3rd
MARothman
SF
November 1st
ArcsWTFNovember 16th
RaindropWTFDecember 10th
ErinSFDecember 10th
C.M. Dahmer
SF
December 5th
Dryad
Space Opera
November 27th
Usefulidiot
SF
December 12th
Camaria
Fantasy
December 4th

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
I'm considering submitting my MS as well. I'm just finishing up some edits. Too bad my MS has a bit of humor in it, and they said those kind of books may struggle.
Also, I'm querying agents right now and I wonder if getting rejected by a publisher would jeopardize it.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
I'm considering submitting my MS as well. I'm just finishing up some edits. Too bad my MS has a bit of humor in it, and they said those kind of books may struggle.
Also, I'm querying agents right now and I wonder if getting rejected by a publisher would jeopardize it.

Mine has a fair bit of humour in it as well and they picked it up - mostly black humour admittedly. If you are querying agents then I would strongly suggest you really think about this before submitting to the Open Doors. Many agents will help to edit and polish your novel ready for submission to publishers, so potentially you might be able to submit a stronger and more attractive manuscript to Angry Robot in the future. You are essentially closing off this publisher as a market for any prospective agent. I thought about submitting to the last open doors and didn't for this very reason, and I got an agent and that really paid off for me. Of course there is no guarantee if you will get an agent or how long it might be until the next Open Doors, so...things to think about.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
in answer to question above, I suspect every person has to weigh that risk for themselves.

for me personally, there is simply no possibility of getting an agent for this particular project. I know how that sounds and I know the general AW opinion on that stance but regardless... I'm only burning a bridge I'd never get to cross otherwise.

However, it is something to be careful of, and yes it can close off chances or limit you in future. I tend to think if you haven't tried agents yet it might be better to go that route first, not sure.

For my other WIP I would not send to an open door, as it's much more queryable.

Last edited:

AJ_Writes

Registered
Reaction score
A link to this thread was shared with me the other day and I figured I'd participate instead of just standing by. I submitted a fantasy MS on the 6th of November. No response yet!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

Personally, I did both the Strange Chemistry Open Door (Angry Robot's sadly defunct YA branch) and agent queries for my previous manuscript. I made it to the full request stage and found it a beneficial learning experience. Made a lot of good friends with other writers who subbed!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Updated:

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome