Confession: I Like Fantasy Tropes-What are your favorites/least favorites?

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a full set of peeves and faves that could go on for pages and pages, so here I'll stick to subject matter and settings. Some of my favorites:

1. Evil Queens, of any stripe. Bonus points if they thoroughly enjoy their evilhood, use magic, and are sexual deviants to boot.
  2. Spanish-based, Latin American, Incan, or Aztec-type settings.
  3. Dragons and dinosaurs, as long as they're not treated in a cutesy way.
  4. Slaves and slavery.
  5. Rebellions.

Least favorites (stuff I avoid like the plague)

1. Faeries, Fae, Fair Folk, Seelie, Unseeli, etc. Just not interested.
  2. Zombie invasions. Individual zombies are fine. So are zombies in a small, polite group.
  3. Any type of human Hunter (capitilized) that hunts the above, or any other kind of supernatural being. (NOTE: I don't have a problem with it in anime, but I won't seek it out.)
  4. Angels and demons.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Year of the Griffin is the sequel to Dark Lord of Derkholm, which was based on her Tough Guide to Fantasyland. (IMHO, DLoD was much better than its sequel, especially if you've read TGtF.)

Dark Lord of Derkholm is also very, very good. It would be worth it to read before Year of the Griffin.

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me, add Dark Lords to my list of faves. I totally get and love morally grey tales, but I'm a complete sucker for a pure, force of nature embodiment of evil/nastiness. Also Dark Lords have great style. Flowing black robes? Scary armor? Yes, yes, yes.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't admit it, but I love most of the common fantasy tropes. It's all a matter of execution. A sufficiently talented storyteller can take the most tired tropes and weave them into an exciting story that I love to read.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me, add Dark Lords to my list of faves. I totally get and love morally grey tales, but I'm a complete sucker for a pure, force of nature embodiment of evil/nastiness. Also Dark Lords have great style. Flowing black robes? Scary armor? Yes, yes, yes.

In that case, if you haven't read Dark Lord of Derkholm, you really, positively, ABSOLUTELY must do so. :evil ;)

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
This always happens with these threads. Hopefully it reminds people who are brainstorming ideas or working on stories that nothing is categorically taboo, so they won't get depressed that their story is about (say) an elf woman running away from an arranged marriage with a dragon, but then the dragon lets her ride it, and there's this prophecy that's imparted by a talking cat...)
Okay, first of, I'd read that so hard. Secondly, isn't that why one of the more enduring pieces of writing advice is "write the story you like"?

Story prompt idea: write a story that incorporates at least three tropes you are absolutely sick of :Jump:
Didn't Jim Butcher do something like that to write his Codex Alera?

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
Religion0: sort of. What I heard is that Butcher accepted a bet that he couldn't write a story based on two prompts someone gave him, and the prompts were "Lost Roman Legion" and "Pokemon."

I too have a list of favorites and least favorites, most of which have probably been touched on before.

Favorite cliches:
--The ragtag band of misfits that have to work together to reach a common goal.
--The far-reaching quest that goes through many exotic locales and adventures.
--The unknowable fair folk. Sorry, Cobalt Jade, but I can't agree. My opinion is if the fae aren't interesting they just aren't being written right.
--Songs that don't really advance the plot but are awesome.
--Taverns, and the fantasy rogues that often inhabit them.
--Big battles with many champions on both sides.
--Dragons and dragon riders.
--The POV of the "farm boy" or unworldly character who discovers everything alongside the reader.
--Things that exist in the world just because they look really cool (Scott Lynch is my favorite author for this).
--Palace conspiracies.
--Sword fights.
--Romances between royals and commoners.
--Giant bustling cities of mystery and villainy.

Least favorite cliches:
--The evil, corrupt church that's so obviously disgusting you have no idea why anybody ever worships their gods.
--The rigidly defined Sandersonian magic system.
--Most of the important plot points being conveyed through dreams and visions.
--The protagonist getting knocked unconscious right when anything actually starts happening.
--Romances that play out entirely as bickering mutual dislike culminating in an anguished declaration of love.
--Female characters with no inner life.
--The Standard Tolkien Races in almost anything other than Tolkien.
--The hero's wizard friend doing everything for him until the wizard dies.
--Characters not respecting how difficult it is to wield a broadsword/ride a horse for hours on end/make stew.
--Elaborate "tests of character" that only seem to waste time.

Grey areas:
--Prophecies. When they exist as political presences in the story and cause the characters to react and make decisions, I like them. When they're just poems that are fulfilled to the letter by the story's events, I don't.
--Dark Lords. I love a struggle between good and evil. But I also like a villain who believes he's doing the right thing. Give me a dark lord with a tragic backstory any day.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
More Faves:

Enemies who become Allies. Or vice versa, but I like the first one better.
Dragons, if done right.
Underdog stories, of all types.

Not Faves:

Vampires, zombies, most paranormal stuff
Contemporary setting

Last edited:

johnsolomon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a full set of peeves and faves that could go on for pages and pages, so here I'll stick to subject matter and settings. Some of my favorites:

1. Evil Queens, of any stripe. Bonus points if they thoroughly enjoy their evilhood, use magic, and are sexual deviants to boot.
  2. Spanish-based, Latin American, Incan, or Aztec-type settings.
  3. Dragons and dinosaurs, as long as they're not treated in a cutesy way.
  4. Slaves and slavery.
  5. Rebellions.

Least favorites (stuff I avoid like the plague)

1. Faeries, Fae, Fair Folk, Seelie, Unseeli, etc. Just not interested.
  2. Zombie invasions. Individual zombies are fine. So are zombies in a small, polite group.
  3. Any type of human Hunter (capitilized) that hunts the above, or any other kind of supernatural being. (NOTE: I don't have a problem with it in anime, but I won't seek it out.)
  4. Angels and demons.

Holy crap, you're (almost) my opposite!

Favourites (stuff that's like crack to me)

1. Wizards, especially in worlds with diverse spells
  2. Hunter-types. I love them and a hunter as the lead is an instant hook for me. This is my favourite type of series format, but I like the TROPE of wizards more because you get more wondrous magical stuff.
  3. Angels and demons -- the moment I hear the word "archangel" or "hellhound" or "archfiend" my metaphorical ears perk up
  4. Dragons
  5. Fey, though it's all about treatment; I'm indifferent to fey as they're depicted in UF right now but it's not a put off. The only put off is when people make them out to be amazing and mysterious and they just turn out to be the same old fey. It's fine if the author doesn't try to make you feel like they're a bigger deal than they are (unless they ARE a big deal in the story, in which case it only makes sense).
  6. Magic swords
  7. Powerful entities within a story's world
  8. Overpowered main characters BUT it has to be done right. Most people are terrible at creating extremely powerful MCs and keeping the story very compelling (*cough* Japanese isekai light novels *cough*), but I've seen it done enough times that I know it can work very well. Depends on if you like power fantasies, though (I do)
  9. Gotta agree with "enemies who become allies"... also I like romance with enemies. The MC's love interest is someone who they want to kill at first but something develops between the two, leading to hesitation. What I don't like is enemies like Catwoman, who we're supposed to forgive for all the sheit they pull just because they're flirty or hot. I don't care how hot a character is, if they keep screwing over the MC they should go down like any other annoying antagonist.

Put-offs:

1. Incan, or Aztec-type settings -- I'll read them but I don't really LIKE them that much.
  2. Dinosaurs... NOPE. Dinosaurs ruin fantasy for me. A world full of wizards and magical beasts and then there's a T-Rex running around? Get out of here! I enjoy reading about dinosaurs themselves but I don't want to see them in my fantasy.
  3. I don't like reading about socieities where slavery is natural, it may be realistic but makes me uncomfortable
  4. Weak characters / powerless characters in worlds where everyone else has a power. Take Batman. I like him when he's facing off against ordinary people or people on his level, but it's just painful to read him in stories with Superman-level figures because he's either eating their dirt or doing things that strain suspension of disbelief. I imagine that in a real fight, someone at Superman's level would move so fast that they'd turn Batman into meat paste before his slow human neural system could react to their attack.
  5. Characters who bitch about having cool powers: "I just want to be normal! I never asked for a one-up on everybody else! Waa!"

Last edited:

Testome

Registered
Reaction score
Contemporary setting

Even though I won't dismiss a fantasy in a contemporary setting and I don't always need magic, I do prefer awesome and completely new settings to immerse myself in. It's one of the ways authors can add their unique execution to a story as well.

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
5. No Female Friends- Female-Female friendships seem to be lacking in fantasy. Two female characters are usually rivals, dislike each other, or are related. There are plenty of male friendships in fantasy, but female friendships are lacking (or seem to be).

This made me smile, because my upcoming fantasy trilogy focuses heavily on the deep friendship between the two female leads. I too was tired of never seeing this in most fantasy.

ETA : And they start out as rivals, I forgot to say. They realize friendship is far more valuable.

Last edited:

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
I'm the opposite of most of you in that I love the standard D&D/Tolkien races in fantasy and wish there were more good books written with them. I admit there are too many bad ones and not nearly enough good ones. I think McKiernan did it well, at least to my taste. I also never saw any books that used these races that were done in a gritty, realistic manner, sort of like GRRM writing in a Tolkienesque world. That is my dream novel.

I can't stand to read anything with fae in it, and I generally dislike the typical monsters of urban fantasy--werewolves, vampires, zombies, etc.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yes, I should cede that anything done well can always be an exception.

I'm actually not much of a dragon fan (hides) but it's not held me back from when I felt they were done well--as in Temeraire, Lady Trent, some of the Pern stuff, Robin Hobb, and so on.

I guess I tend to be cynical. Unoriginality and meh books often go hand in hand. *For me*, opening to Page 1 and seeing orcs and elves gallivanting through fields of purple prose is a huge red flag.

In the final analysis, character consistency is my dealbreaker.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Eternal soft spot for heroes who love dogs, like it when the dogs have extraordinary powers but like it even better when they're just dogs. I remember the Death's Gate Cycle I read as a young teen had a good 'soul-linked dog companion' that still behaved doglike. And the Disreputable Dog from the Old Kingdom was as good a talking dog as ever there was (and an all-around very good girl!). Not as big a fan of wolf companions, because even though they're fierce and elemental they're not doggos and don't really have the same relationship with humans. Other animal companions I'm pretty meh on, though for a long time I've had the idea for a character who travels with a bask of crocodiles accompanying her.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
  1. Dinosaurs... NOPE. Dinosaurs ruin fantasy for me. A world full of wizards and magical beasts and then there's a T-Rex running around? Get out of here! I enjoy reading about dinosaurs themselves but I don't want to see them in my fantasy.
  2. I don't like reading about socieities where slavery is natural, it may be realistic but makes me
  3. Characters who bitch about having cool powers: "I just want to be normal! I never asked for a one-up on everybody else! Waa!"
I'd like to add these to my dislikes as well. I think I actually saw a fantasy book that had dinosaurs as its selling point. Slavery falls under grit-in-eyes for me, which I loathe. The "I never wanted cool powers" is... You can barely pull it off if it isn't actually the powers, but the trouble they represent, like you have these powers, now dragons who, can still kill you pretty easily despite your powers, think you look like dessert.

Thief

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of my likes/dislikes have already been discussed. I will say though, I love me some Sufficiently Analyzed Magic. I love exploring its mechanics, and understanding exactly how and why it works. I'm also a fan of settings where magic is integrated with technology. That's not to say I don't like works with less defined rules for their magic systems, as those can be fun, too. Really, I like almost all forms of magic :v

Last edited:

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
Love

Dragons with a touch of numinous about their presence.

The ruins of lost civilizations. Especially if the ruins hide secrets best left buried.

Tolkien-esque races (though not straight clones.) I'm with knight_tour in a wish to see a gritty, realistic depiction of elves, dwarves, and orcs

Magic shrouded in mystery. Give me learned sages who don't comprehend the forces they're playing with or hermit wizards who make deals with primordial powers. Especially if the magic requires the ruins of lost civilizations and the aforementioned best-left-buried secrets.

Bittersweet endings. Contrary to what some of my readers might think *ahem*, I want the heroes to win. I just think victory should have weight. It should cost something.

Incomprehensible, Lovecraftian evil. I don't want the dark lord who is destroying the world just because he can, but I love a dark lord whose motives are utterly alien.

Conversely, villains with very human motivations. Tragic characters you can empathize with -- even if you want them to fail.

Subverted Chosen Ones and subverted prophecies about them

Dislike

Magic with scientific rules

Technology disguised as magic

Happily-ever-after endings

Dragons as friendly companion pets

Chosen One characters given the path to victory on a gilt-edged plate with a complete instruction manual attached

Precocious, wise-beyond-their-years kids who are actually right

Cackling Dark Lords who chew scenery while twirling their mustaches and destroying the world for no good reason.

Characters -- whether hero or villain -- without motivation beyond the demands of the prophecy or their role in the narrative arc

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Love:

Lost and forgotten ruins with hidden dangers.
Chosen-one underdogs, when done well.
Magic, magic, magic. Especially when thoroughly described and thought of in a sightly new way. Slightly is enough for me, just a small tilt from the norm.
Beautiful creatures and ugly, scary monsters. Although I don't mind it when the tables are turned.

Hate:

Orcs. Where did they come from? When did they take over the world? Can't you just leave them to Tolkien, I ask?
Writers who make women hysterical and annoying, like Robert Jordan, at least in the first books of Wheel of Time.
Fairytale-retells that only steal and hollow out, and doesn't add anything new.
Too much world-building, too many maps and too many main characters.

I think the point is that all cliches can be great when done well. But when they are done without any depth or greater understanding they are equally terrible.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
I've been away a while and I love this thread! I'm with a lot here in that I can't stand Tolkien races when not in Tolkien. Especially elves and orcs. If you want elves they have to be interesting, not wise and powerful and fair and benevolent and whatnot. Pratchett's elves are the exception for precisely that reason. I also hate Chosen Ones and Prophesies (coz, like all Voldemort needed to do was not try and kill Harry as a baby and that would have been that).

Some personal likes and dislikes:

- Ancient mythologies reworked or incorporated. But not Rick [expletive] Riordan.
- Golems. Coz what's not to love?
- I love me some Evil Overlord/Dark Lord/Evil Empire. Yeah they're usually naff (except Sauron, Morgoth and Voldemort - they're genuinely scary) but I love 'em anyways.
- The city watch, just coz I feel sorry for them.

Dislikes

- Taverns with buxom wenches where heroes congregate to tell of derring-do and mighty deeds. Seriously, just wrong on every level.
- Unpronounceable names. Coz, like, I know they're not going to be called Steve or Sarah but they have to be able to say their own names. Imagine walking in to a party and saying "hi, my name is K!rytgsan'ch".
- Fairy tales from the POV of the villain. Especially if they're trying to be funny. Go away.
- Undefined magic - what's to stop it doing anything?

Emily.Loyce

Registered
Reaction score
Found this forum by accident while researching different story bibles. Stumbled upon this thread and just had to make an account, I really enjoyed the conversation and just had to jump in.

Dislikes

- Fantasy/Tolkien-esque Races: Ugh, I'm just so tired of them. "This is where the land of the elves are, this is land of the orcs. they dont like the elves. this is the human lands, home of the most ingenuity!" I'd rather explore various cultures of humans and how they differ from eachother. I feel like a lot of authors include them because it's become synonomous with fantasy or something. Like in the symphony of the ages series, the author invented all completely new races to inhabit her world, which sounds fascinating at first until you realize she just took, elves, orcs, giants, etc and changed the names.

- Chosen One: Booooring. Espeically when it's obvious from the beginning that the protagonist or one of the main characters is this chosen. It all becomes a bore. That said Suberting this trope and having the chosen one be a red herring or the cause of some larger crisis is always a good time. As others are saying I agree that any trope can be interesting if done well or turned on its head.

- Dragons: Okay here me out. Dragons are cool but they're everywhere! Which I guess is mostly because they are cool as all heck, and so I wouldn't even say I dislike them. It's more that I refuse to utilize them in my own stories because everyone else does.

- Over sexed / Queer Coded Villain: I saw a few mentions of the over sexed evil character, but not much on the queer coding front. You all know the one; The effeminate but devious master mind, or the Evil queen who forces a kiss on the heroine/damsel just to show how wicked she is. I hate these tropes with a passion because they're so icky when you get down to the gritty details of it all, and yet at the same time, these were the kinds of characters I related to being a lesbian growing up who absorbed anything sci fi or fantasy. So it's one of the tropes I strive to subvert the most, with most of my MC's being queer in some way, and some of of the more morally sound characters are also the most sex positive, one of the heroines being a brothel escort.

- Undefined magic: I much prefer a system grounded heavily in a set of rules. It doesn't have to be science based, just something fixed. It doesn't have to be explained right away it can even seem wildly rediculous and powerful at first but slowly over time you learn there are limits. I can't even properly explain how much I hate dues ex machina magic. Magic that is slightly explained and may even appear on the surface rules and yet always gets the MC's out of impossible situations in new ways, is baffling and boring.

- The Reluctant/Under privileged who becomes king: This sort of covers a wide set of examples. Like the bastard who becomes king, or the heir who lives a commonors life and yet is thrust back into the role of a leader, the banished who rises again, the peasant who rises up despite all odds, etc. It's such a common trope, that even though I hate it, i'm guilty of it. It's way easier to relate to someone who is larger to life if they've struggled like a commoner, so this is definitely one of those ones that I hate mainly because it is so over done, and when it is done well, or subverted or reduced to a side plot it can work better.

- Mans world: The typical heroic knights saving the helpless damsels, misogyny abound. Men do the fighting / Women make babies! Again if done well, and written more to reflect our society while questioning everything, I'm more or less okay with it. I remember when I was first doing the world building for my current project I wanted to sculpt a world completely unlike our own, where women were never considered un equal or less than, but ultimately settled on only some cultures where this was the case so I could deliver a stronger message. Stories that have men as knights and women married off like property just because "that's how it was back then" bug me to no end.

- Quests: You must do the thing! Do the thing, the entire fate of fantasy land depends on it! Embark on this treacherous long journey, find/protect the sacred macguffin and do the thing! I believe in you! Boring

Favs

- Vampires and Hunters: Oh god I hate vampires, especially the over saturation of them in popular culture. So why is it in my favorites? Because I hate the modern vampire. Vampires in a dark medieval fantasy setting feel way more at home and way less stuffy or angsty. I really enjoyed seeing them explored in skyrim. I like the idea of vampires blending in with the common man in a farm village or a city, and the adventure of a monste rhunter guild setting out to protect the people with crossbows and silver blades. This leads me to my next one.

- Mythical Monsters: Human hybrids like nagas, satyr, harpies, spider people, minotaurs, Mermaids/merman, vampires, were creatures, . I'd much rather see a deeper exploration of these kinds of creatures that all have human roots, rather than dwarves, elves and orcs that are just humanoid. It definitely seems to be a mixed bag of opinions when it comes to this sort of thing, but I just find it more infinitely interesting, and find there to be far greater directions to take.

- Evil Empire/Evil Church: Ugh I love it so much and I know I shouldn't. I grew up on stories like these and they greatly reflect my own personal opinions. I saw a lot of people voice their dislike for this one and honestly, that's fair. It's so over done, and I think an Evil Empire with no face certainly can be boring, but a character that drives that empire/church, stirring the masses into a frenzy, they become the force you focus on. You know the threat is this one person but their charisma/deception has swayed an entire nation and that's scary/fun to read.

- treacherous/character building travels: Okay so this is basically like the Quests trope that I mentioned above in my dislikes, but let me explain. I really enjoy fantasy stories focused on one place. It can still be full of wonder and intrigue, but I tend to like that more than reading an entire novel about trekking through one place after another, detailing all the cool and magical places along with their many dangers. I'm less likely to read a story all about a journey to do a thing but if these travels are shorter, more story driven. Like in political fantasy. These characters need to go from A - B to meet this person to secure this alliance, to fight this war, to stop this person, yadda yadda. But something may happen along the way that makes the travel longer then expected which adds suspense and makes the journey feel more critical.

I really love this topic and I have many more, and I love this discussion but i'll leave it at that as I'm already spent too much time typing as it is and I have work to do!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly can't think of many tropes I don't like, if they're written well enough.

Maybe some of the tropes of grimdark fantasy. I don't care for worlds where everyone's a terrible person.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I honestly can't think of many tropes I don't like, if they're written well enough.

Maybe some of the tropes of grimdark fantasy. I don't care for worlds where everyone's a terrible person.

Or where the only characters who are decent people always end up dying or having their decency ground out of them. If that's "realistic," then give me some books that are a bit more unrealistic and escapist, please. I don't mind seeing character arcs that encompass moral downward spirals, but if it's every single character who isn't a jerk, then it gets tiresome (and depressing).

Found this forum by accident while researching different story bibles. Stumbled upon this thread and just had to make an account, I really enjoyed the conversation and just had to jump in.

I found myself nodding at most of what you wrote in your post (except for maybe the vampires--I was ambivalent about them in Skyrim, as they felt out of place to me in a quasi-Norse cultural setting). I got tired, in Skyrim, of people always asking me if I felt all right because I looked sick after I got back from an adventure where I had to fight them (not to mention those giant rat things--skeevers).

I think we'd like many of the same books :)

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
For a long time I've had the idea for a character who travels with a bask of crocodiles accompanying her.
Sounds cool, I'd like to read it. Egyptian or African based, I'm thinking? Big adult crocs pacing along beside her, the little ones scampering around underfoot. Along the banks of a river. Even if you don't to the story, it would make a heck of a mural. In the style of Maxfield Parrish? 'The Crocodile Charmer'?

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds cool, I'd like to read it. Egyptian or African based, I'm thinking? Big adult crocs pacing along beside her, the little ones scampering around underfoot. Along the banks of a river. Even if you don't to the story, it would make a heck of a mural. In the style of Maxfield Parrish? 'The Crocodile Charmer'?

Definitely Egyptian. So much Sobek potential! And if you can work in some ancient aliens nonsense you can get a Sobek sci-fi series sorted.