• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Complete newbie

thelondongal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have read through some threads on here (but of course I could not read through them all) and I hope that I will not be repeating what was already asked. I would like to get writing, I have been walking around for some time with some scenes and an idea in my head - if you will - and i want to try to maybe put the "idea" in a book. I understand that an idea is probably not enough to have a book, but maybe if I work on it, it can turn into something.
I have reading through the plotting and some exercises, but my story (so far) does not quite have a designated antagonist.
I want to write a book a book from the point of view of "the other woman", basically an impossible love story about 2 people crazy in love but prisoners to circumstances - both are married. The more general idea that i want to demonstrate is that "the other woman" also has feelings, and love is not quite so black and white sometimes.

Any ideas, views as to how i should proceed, what i should start with - I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Yuliya

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Just start writing. You already have your "seed": an idea and some scenes. Plant it and see what grows from it. You don't have to know in advance everything that's going to happen, or anything, for that matter.

relletyrots

The One Who Tells The Story
Registered
Reaction score
I want to second BethS's advice. Just write. I know, it's hard to actually sit down and get your ideas onto the blank page, but it must be done.

It's easy to keep everything in your head, where it's safe. It took me a while before I actually managed to make myself sit down and write, but here I am, 25,000 words later and counting.

You should choose one of those scenes, and just get on with it. You'll be surprised at how much complexity, depth and clarity stem just from writing the first chapter(s) down.

Regarding the antagonist: focus on writing a good story. If it needs a traditional antagonist, one will emerge naturally. Worry about that later, and for now, dive in. Revisions can (and will) be made.

Another point to make is that, being a newbie, you don't really know your writing preferences yet. Do you outline everything? Do you discovery-write? Do you write pages of character biography for reference, or keep the details in your head? All of these will become clear in time. For now, start writing, and see where that leads you. Do whatever feels most natural to you. But do it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, thelondongal. :welcome:

Another diito here. Start writing- you'll be on page two before you know it...then follow your instinct.

fairybee

We just don't know.
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said: seriously, just go for it. Just start writing. Write scenes you want to write out of order if you have to. As someone working on branching, non-linear stores (video games, to be concise) I've noticed skipping ahead is often how I end up getting the idea that ties everything together.

Writing your story does not have to be a walk from point A to point B. It could be more like house cleaning. You might have a good idea of where to start, and probably what your goal is, but you're going to find toenail clippers on the kitchen floor and have to take them to the bathroom. Or suddenly realize how much more efficient your shelving would be if you moved some stuff in and out of the drawers. Maybe you'll make a bigger mess in the process. That's okay! Go for it!

thelondongal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, thank you so much for all the messages! I found them greatly encouraging. I even had a bit of a breakthrough in my head as to how I may add a bit of organisation to what I already had in my head (you see I love me some organisation :))

hyperchord24

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever it is that stops you from writing, face it. Do it anyway. Write the story.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Infidelity is a VERY complex topic - have you read much about it? I have a forum I can recommend where you can read anonymously and learn about both sides of the issue. I hesitate to post the link here though - but let me know if you're interested.

Would your antagonist be the man's wife?

As far as the writing itself goes, I usually start with a word doc and list bullet points that represent mile posts along the length of the story. I get the big ones down first then flesh them out. That process lets me know whether I'm looking at a novel, a novella, or a short story.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! :welcome:

I agree with everything above. Don't worry too much about writing "right" - as you write more, you'll learn the system and process that works best for you and your story.

It sounds like your antagonist(s) will show up naturally as you write this. The obvious ones would be the spouses, judgemental people, internal guilt... etc.