Outlander

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I don't see any threads here about Outlander, so I thought I would begin one. Season 3 just got started, and yet again I was impressed with the way the show handles what can be very heavy material. The Battle of Culloden Moore was treated with just the right blend of hopelessness and determination.

I like anything with a historical tinge to it, so I started watching the first season shortly after it came out. I watched a few episodes when I was visiting my parents, who have Starz, then decided to read the book. I finished the book before finishing the season, then started in on the rest of the books as the second season was airing. I've now read all the books and have been anxiously awaiting season 3 for months. Now it's finally arrived. I can't wait until we meet some of the new characters (or grown-up versions of characters we already know *cough* Fergus *cough*) in the next few episodes. They'll take us through the rest of the series.

At first glance, I'd expected a light or maybe faintly moody, atmospheric romantic drama, a la Poldark, but Outlander is really more of an adventure story. There's romance, but it becomes a very expansive story. Do the books have flaws? Yes. The show actually does a good job correcting some of those, though, of course, it has some flaws of its own. But overall, it's very thoughtfully done and well-crafted, and the acting is great, especially from the leads.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They really did well with the casting. Sam Heughan is not just easy on the eyes, he totally inhabits the character of Jamie. And Catriona Balfe makes a great Claire. But special kudos must go to Tobias Menzies for making me feel sorry for him as Frank and creeped out by him as Black Jack.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was really excited for this to be turned into a series, but I'm disappointed. I did watch season one and the newest episode that just came out. I skipped season two. Claire is nothing like I pictured her so I'm having a real struggle staying captivated.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I quite like the actress, actually (Catrionna Balfe). She's not significantly different from how I imagined Claire, but then I never do get particularly clear *images* of characters when I read. The only casting choice I haven't liked is Bree. Too delicate for the kind of person Briana is supposed to be. I wasn't sure about Roger, because he doesn't look much like the descriptions of him in the book, but the actor is very charming and very Scottish. Jamie is cast well, though in the books he's described as being a very imposing figure and Sam Heughan does a wonderful job but isn't imposing. [Young] Fergus is spot-on. Tobias Menzies works for me--I'm not wild about him, but he does a good job.

In any case, I enjoyed last night's episode more than the first episode of the season. More happened. Pretty much everything from the first episode could have been inferred from the end of season 2; it was all just an elaboration, a filling-in of gaps that *maybe* didn't need to be filled in (though I can see how it was necessary for the show versus the book; in the book, you can drop little bits of dialogue and exposition to clue the reader in on what happened in the past, but you have to show it on TV). And I knew what was coming for Fergus, but it was still pretty hard to watch. The best part of the episode for me was the conversation between wee Fergus and Jamie when Fergus is in bed ("There you are, milord.").

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first six episodes of season one and then gave up entirely. There were two major things that did it.

1) The narration. It was constant, and unnecessary, and seemed to fill every quiet moment. "Sex was our way of finding a path back to each other"...I didn't come up with this phrasing, but yes, Claire, thank you for informing us that it helps to be in the same room with the person you're having sex with. Also, do you need to get back to the standing stones at Craigh na Dun? Do you really? What do you really think about the standing stones at Craigh na Dun, Claire? Her performance is great, but I just couldn't take this.

2) Black Jack Randall. The episode where Claire tries to turn him good was the last one I watched. He literally kicks her while she's down, all while gleefully ranting about how evil he is. I like a hateful villain as much as anyone, but this just isn't believable.

I'm told it gets better, and that the narration actually is toned down, but I just don't think I can get that far. Great theme song, though.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I didn't mind the narration, and I think it was handled about as well as it could have been, once it was decided that's what they were doing. It works sometimes and not so well other times.

Black Jack has a lot to do in both seasons 1 and 2. I don't recall Claire to make him good. He's basically Public Enemy #1 for her, especially by the end of season 1. But she doesn't want him to die because that would mean her husband, Frank, who's his descendant, would never be born (time travel, man). So she has a vested interest in trying to keep him alive.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the first two seasons. Never read any of the books. Liked it very much. Claire is awesome, Jamie is awesome. Black Jack is one of the scariest antagonists I've ever encountered.