Choosing What to Write

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm facing a dilemma as I choose between what stories I should work on. This will be my fifth completed work whenever it gets done. My issue is, I really, really admire and adore fantasy. I want to write YA fantasy and tried my hand at it already to no avail (i.e.- no requests from agents). I wanted to try a gothic fantasy now, but I'm also torn between that and a middle grade contemporary series about a girl squad.

Here's my issue, I'm really good at writing a middle grade voice. I know all the pop culture references. I like writing humor and mean girls and middle school, but it's not what I love to read currently. I love reading YA fantasy, and I admire the careers of fantasy writers. So I'm not sure what to work on.

tl,dr; do you write what you know you're good at, or do you write what you admire?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Why not do both? You can go back and forth between them, and probably, at some point, one will take on a life of its own.

Or if you don't want to do that, then write what you love, which I gather is YA fantasy. Even if your previous attempts weren't successful, that could change.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Both? Writing what you're good at is how you get sales. Writing what you admire is how you get good enough to get sales. Pick the one you're more passionate about now, and save the other one for later.

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
As one of my roommates always says when I ask him to solve a dilemma: Por que no los dos? Eventually you'll finish one (or both) of the two.

If'n you don't want to write two things at once, then I would second the above advice to write what you love - after all, if you don't love what you do, it's time to quit and do what you love instead.

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
I'd reply separately, but you all had the same advice, so-- thank you very much. I can only write one thing at a time, but maybe I'll just take a deep breath and continue my gothic fantasy. I have an issue thinking I only have a little time to get an agent/published because everyone who writes YA seems so young when they debut. But I guess everyone has a different path.

Thank you again. I do love writing anything, really, but when I picture my future career, I want it to be for fantasy.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
tl,dr; do you write what you know you're good at, or do you write what you admire?

I would say it really depends. The book I want to write after this one has essentially no market. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

Generally, though, if you have passion for a project - whatever the reason - I think it's going to show in the output. Write what feeds you. It may or may not find readers, but it'll grow you as a writer.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Another vote for both. Nothing you write is a waste.

I like writing weird, overcomplicated fantasy. I also am writing a contemp MS on the side, which I don't enjoy but I think it's more accessible and may help me get the fantasy a bit more readership someday, even if as a self pub.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Write the thing you are most excited to write. Writing is hard enough. You don't want to make it even more challenging by writing something you're ehh about.

FWIW, I write YA but I mostly read adult. I don't think it's a problem if you read YA but want to write MG.

Last edited:

hyperchord24

Registered
Reaction score
Who do you cry about in your novels? That's when the conflict hits home. Go toward those emotions and pick that novel with those characters in it

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I am sure it varies a lot from person to person, but in my experience, I don't choose my stories, they choose me. Now let me back off what sounds like utterly pretentious douchebaggery and explain a bit, because even I want to dick-punch myself for that first line:

I read horror mostly. Love it.

But my head doesn't have the same gears King or Bradbury or Piccirilli have, and the speculative elements don't come out very often. The shit that wants to come out of me tends to be closer to thrillers or suspense, which I am not opposed to, but isn't what I wanted or expected to write. My brain may love taking in stories about monsters killing kids in small towns, or men who turn to werewolves, but it much prefers putting out stories of shitty people (and sometimes not so shitty people) doing shitty things to each other.

Write what you can write, and want to write PERSONALLY, not what you think is hot right now, not what you think your gram-gram would most like to tell her friends you write, not what you think would look the most badass as a picture-sized bookcover on your wall. Because (again, for me) writing is pretty organic--you might be able to tweak it, but you can't fake it. What comes out is what comes out.

Now, you mentioned you can't write fantasy not because you dislike it (I don't know if you do or do not like writing it) but because you haven't gotten an agent with it yet. Unless you HAVE gotten like 5 agents writing YA already, I'm not sure the fact you haven't gotten one yet means you can just slam-dunk elsewhere, or that you actually write fantasy any worse than anything else.....but I only throw that out as a caveat to consider: are you saying you can't write fantasy because you are frustrated at lack of success, or because you just don't have the same comfort, flow, and rhythm when writing it?

Again, write what you write best and enjoy writing the most. Just make sure you're actually considering that, instead of what you always thought you most wanted to write.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I'd reply separately, but you all had the same advice, so-- thank you very much. I can only write one thing at a time, but maybe I'll just take a deep breath and continue my gothic fantasy. I have an issue thinking I only have a little time to get an agent/published because everyone who writes YA seems so young when they debut. But I guess everyone has a different path.

Well, I don't know how old you are, but I was over 30 when I got my first YA novel published. And some successful YA authors are far older than me. Being a "young author" might be a selling point for some publishers, but it's not a requirement by any means.

If you can only work on one project at a time, I'd say keep doing what you're doing and if you hit writer's block, take a break and work on your other idea.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Write the story that is (in your mind) demanding to be told. If you don't have passion for your work it will show.

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the responses. I decided to push them both aside and try something else for now, since I was so torn in the first place. I'm just writing what I enjoy for now and not thinking of the future. I really appreciate your responses. :)

Ihe R.G.

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here I was gearing up to say my piece but you already decided, and for the third unnamed option to boot! There goes my insightful second post.:D

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
My recent experience is that you don't choose what to write. It chooses you. Your heavenly muse can have a wicked sense of humor.

I'm experienced with non-fiction, but every time I've dabbled with fiction and tried to write the kind of stuff I love to read, I did not know how to come up with a story behind whatever idea I had. Although one time I found I had reached an ending, and thus had a short story about the cycle of life rather than a longer murder mystery that I had intended. Now I'm making steady progress in a genre and subject that is nothing like I read, because that's what my muse whispered in my ear as I lie sleeping.