Finish series before starting new project?

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on a fantasy-mystery series for the past year or so. I've written and published 3 books in the series (self-pubbed), and I estimate it'll take another 3 or 4 books before it's done. I've been having a very hard time starting the fourth book, and recently I've been kicking around the idea of working on another idea that's been on hold while I've been writing the series. I think I'm having a bit of burnout on the series, although I've enjoyed writing it and fully intend to finish it. Is it wrong to take a break and work on something else for a while? I'm excited about the new project but I feel guilty about "abandoning" the series before it's done.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"A change is as good as a rest."

Writers do that all the time. You don't want to force yourself to write an instalment when you're feeling burnt out on the series. It'll show.

Toothpick

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm yeah, maybe you need a bit of a change. Btw what's the name of the series? I'm into fantasy-mystery thing lately so :D

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Hal Bishop Mysteries (link in siggy! ;)) So it's okay to take a break and try something else even though the series isn't done yet?

Magnificent Bastard

maybe a demon
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Take a break and work on something else for a while, then come back to the series. It might even help you figure out why you're not that much into the fourth book (though that might really be just burnout). I'd give myself a deadline of some sort, though, especially assuming you have readers who might be waiting for the rest of the books -- just so you don't end up chasing other ideas forever and never really coming back to this.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, definitely. I don't intend to leave my readers (few though they may be) hanging! And I have an idea for the next book--I just can't muster much enthusiasm for it right now.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Hal Bishop Mysteries (link in siggy! ;)) So it's okay to take a break and try something else even though the series isn't done yet?

Yes. Lots of writers do this.

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
When you take a break, your subconscious will have the time and space to finish what you've begun. Most prolific writers do have projects running parallel-- they take a break from one and move on to another, then return.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I followed the link to your Hal Bishop books, and it looks like they're a series of detective stories, connected stand-alones, rather than one story told over several books, so I don't see why you can't try something else now and then. It may be that the Hal Bishop stories will run longer, even after the underlying 'what happened to the father' thread is done. And, if you start something different, you can test drive new ideas.

It's not like you're leaving the readers waiting to see what happens 'when winter comes'.