Another self published vs traditionally published question...

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
I understand there are tons of variables, but I'm looking for some basics here as I know nothing at all about traditional publishing (hope I'm using the right term cuz I vaguely remember getting reprimanded about this when I first joined this forum :)).

As simply as I can put it: I self published a self help book which is doing well IMO. It's my first book, put out Jan 1 of this year, and I've sold over 900 copies with very little marketing. I just made one more round of edits, and once uploaded I'm ready to start some serious promo (and drop some serious $$). Knowing nothing outside of doing this all myself, do I have anything to gain by starting to knock on publisher's doors? Here are some of my questions...

• Can I even do it? Having already assigned an ISBN # and all, can the book still be picked up by a publisher?
  • Will they do anything as far as promotion goes, or would that still be up to me, anyhow?
  • What would be the pros and cons?
  • I understand I would get a much smaller Royalty. If I'm confident of my own marketing plans, should I just plow forward?
  • If this book starts doing really well, what do I have to gain by attempting to go traditional on my next book?

I know that's a lot and I'm not expecting anyone to answer them all, but if you can help me get an idea of what this is all about - I can do further research on my own. Thanks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
IMHO, with the right press you might gain all kinds of things, but the chance of that happening is not high. It is not impossible that a publisher will take an already self-published book based on a query, but it's not likely. I don't think 900 in that time period is going to count as viral interest. They'd have to see this as a platform much bigger than the book that just happens to meet their current focus/strategy for aquisitions.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I understand there are tons of variables, but I'm looking for some basics here as I know nothing at all about traditional publishing (hope I'm using the right term cuz I vaguely remember getting reprimanded about this when I first joined this forum :)).

The term is "trade publishing." :) (I see "traditional" used by a lot of folks off of this forum, but "trade" is the accurate term.)

I can't answer all your questions - and I write fiction, so my knowledge isn't directly transferrable to non-fiction - but here are my thoughts:

Knowing nothing outside of doing this all myself, do I have anything to gain by starting to knock on publisher's doors?

It's less an issue of your gain than theirs. They'd need to believe there was a large enough market (over and above your 900 readers) to justify their expenses. 99.99% of the time, though, if you're looking for a trade deal, you'll have vastly better luck with an unpublished book.

Can I even do it? Having already assigned an ISBN # and all, can the book still be picked up by a publisher?

AFAIK this does not violate the laws of physics, or publishing. :) I'm almost certain you'd end up with a new ISBN (and a new edition).

Will they do anything as far as promotion goes, or would that still be up to me, anyhow?

My understanding is that non-fiction authors are encouraged to have an author platform, but even so a publisher is going to want to get their money back (and earn a profit if they can). I'd personally stay away from any publisher that doesn't do some promotion for you.

I understand I would get a much smaller Royalty. If I'm confident of my own marketing plans, should I just plow forward?

In this case, the idea would be you'd get a smaller slice of a much larger pie. Also, if you find a place that'll do a print edition, getting into physical bookstores can be a huge sales boost.

If this book starts doing really well, what do I have to gain by attempting to go traditional on my next book?

That's really going to depend on your goals. I can think of two authors - Amanda Hocking and Andy Weir - who were both quite successful self-publishing, but eventually went with trade. There's a lot of mechanical stuff around book sales that's much nicer to be able to leave to someone else. If you're happy with your sales both ways, it's really a personal preference thing.

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

I think I'm going to put all my time into promo for the rest of this year, and see where that number goes. I'm hopeful, but realistic also. I'm doing a Kindle $.99 deal starting tonight to hopefully raise my sales a bit, and then I'm going to start pushcing my comfort zone and go full out -- I have a long list of activities/plans I haven't yet implemented.

I'll add that yooz guys here seem like a nice bunch, so I'll probably stop being anonymous :) and post my $.99 deal when it starts. Can I do that on this forum? Or do I need a certain amount of posts first?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

I think I'm going to put all my time into promo for the rest of this year, and see where that number goes. I'm hopeful, but realistic also. I'm doing a Kindle $.99 deal starting tonight to hopefully raise my sales a bit, and then I'm going to start pushcing my comfort zone and go full out -- I have a long list of activities/plans I haven't yet implemented.

I'll add that yooz guys here seem like a nice bunch, so I'll probably stop being anonymous :) and post my $.99 deal when it starts. Can I do that on this forum? Or do I need a certain amount of posts first?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the place to do that is the Announcements, Events, and Book Promotion forum, which you do need 50 substantive posts in order to start a thread in. In the meantime, you can place a link in your sig for people to click through and buy that way.

Good luck, BTW! I hope you have massive sales and a trade publisher comes knocking on your door and saves you all the dilemmas. :D

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
Just responding to test my signature. I decided to put it in, yet it's not showing on previous posts. Need to see if it comes up when responding with the box checked.

[edit] Ooops. That's YUGE. working on it :)..... [edit 2] Much better, but need to figure out how to better do this. Anyhoo, don't know if it's against the rules or not to include in a thread that the book is on sale, but this week there's a countdown deal. I don't yet have 50 posts so I guess I can't post in the other section, though I'll check now to be sure.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Just a suggestion, but before you sink a lot of money into promo, you should consider plumping up the info on the Amazon page. Add a Look Inside feature and create an author page to tout your credentials and round out the profile.

Last edited:

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but before you sink a lot of money into promo, you should consider plumping up the info on the Amazon page. Add a Look Inside feature and create an author page to tout your credentials and round out the profile.

A look inside feature is there, is it not showing for some reason?

The author description I've been holding off on for a few reasons. There's a brief description on the cover, and the Look Inside feature pretty much tells my whole story and gives a very clear idea of what the book is all about.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took a brief look inside. I'm not an alt-med kind of gal, but I did like your format: "This is how to do it." You have great reviews, and 35 is a lot of reviews. Sales look good.

I have no expertise in marketing or publishing so my suggestion is just a lay opinion. But I would keep doing what you are doing to promote your book, it can't hurt to send out queries to publishers. If one is interested, great. If not, you aren't out much.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
A look inside feature is there, is it not showing for some reason?

The author description I've been holding off on for a few reasons. There's a brief description on the cover, and the Look Inside feature pretty much tells my whole story and gives a very clear idea of what the book is all about.

Ah, you know, when the page loads, the "Look Inside" logo isn't visible when you scroll over the cover. But I realize that this is a change to Amazon's website that I just haven't noticed.

Never mind! Sorry!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took a brief look inside. I'm not an alt-med kind of gal, but I did like your format: "This is how to do it." You have great reviews, and 35 is a lot of reviews. Sales look good.

Seconding this. I was skeptical at first, but the excerpt is clean, well-written, and very easy to follow. I really like the numbered format and the "How to actually do it" at the end of every chapter. It makes things so much simpler and more accessible. Love it! I can actually think of several people who might benefit from this book...

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I decided to break my AW anonymity :). Thanks all for the great input and comments. I'm working on things... I have some issues with putting up an author page right now that I'll write about here another time. I have a few things I need to taking care of before getting to bed tonight.

I'm super excited that my book climbed up to #4 on one of the Amazon best seller lists https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/156553011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_1_5_last. That's what we do these deals for, right :)?